• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Inner conversations

DogwoodTree

Still here...
Do you have conversations with people inside your head? I'm not talking about "voices" like what schizophrenics deal with. Just internal representations of people you know, and having conversations with them, like practicing so that you're ready to have a real conversation with the real person if/when the situation arises...or maybe just "talking" something out with a person to get their "feedback" from their perspective, even though it's not something you would actually discuss with them.

Trying to figure out if this is "normal"...or "aspie"...or just me being kinda weird, lol.

Do you have conversations with people inside your head? I'm not talking about "voices" like what schizophrenics deal with. Just internal representations of people you know, and having conversations with them, like practicing so that you're ready to have a real conversation with the real person if/when the situation arises...or maybe just "talking" something out with a person to get their "feedback" from their perspective, even though it's not something you would actually discuss with them.

Trying to figure out if this is "normal"...or "aspie"...or just me being kinda weird, lol.

Sure. I consider it a form of "scripting". Usually to prepare to say something important. So I think of it almost in a tactical sense, as if I was going to participate in a debate. A way to "hedge my bets" and make up for any communications shortcomings I may have.

Well, I'm weird with you, I do it too. Sometimes I'm thinking of the things I should have said in a futile attempt at a do-over, and sometimes I'm thinking out loud...literally talking to my self, the part that sees in pictures.

An important thing for me is to recognize and kill off the Toxic inner discussion and replays. The ones where I devise what I ought to have said to that bastard, and if I ever see him again I'll.... etc.

It's poison and turns me into a nasty person. So I have to be self aware and kill it.

Hehe, I do it a lot! And often out loud, too (when I'm alone). Not only to prepare myself for an upcoming conversation with someone, but also as "correcting" and "updating" my part of a conversation that had already happened, sometimes even a few days ago.. (yeah, lame, I know) :oops:

Oh, and sometimes I catch myself talking to an imaginary someone about my special interest after having found some new interesting information about it and not having anyone else around to talk about it.

Hmm, now, that I see it all written like this, it makes me feel more weird that I thought I was... :eek:

Oh, and sometimes I catch myself talking to an imaginary someone about my special interest after having found some new interesting information about it and not having anyone else around to talk about it.

Well, you realize no one else cares about your weird little discovery. They are only interested in boring normal stuff. So youve gotta talk about it to someone...

Expressing myself through speech is really challenging for me, and when emotions such as anxiety come into play, my speech devolves into tip-of-the-iceberg basics. If I need to explain something difficult to someone and I anticipate anxiety, I'll try to yack it out in my head beforehand. Then when I finally do get to express myself to the person.... hmm... it still ends up being just a hint of what I am trying to express.

Writing allows eloquence. Speech is too confuzzling. :eek:

Have no idea if it an aspie thing or not, but lol I do this all the time, but trying to stop myself because it is causing me more trouble than it is helping. My husband was the one who got me to realise what I was/am doing. I feel angry when in life it does not turn out how I had invisaged it, which leaves me disappointed. My husband rightly said that I have no right to think for another. I had not realised I was, but I guess he is right and so, when I can feel myself going into the realm of having a conversation with the other person in my head, I try to stop, but it is sooo HARD to achieve and I soon find myself going there again and have to speak out loud and say, stop it, change your train of thought. What is the snag is that it is fun.

I rehearse things in my head. But when I dialogue, the persons I think up are usually disembodied voices or just people-shaped blurs. My mind can't make the extra effort.

Yes, I do this also. Usually it is in context of what I want to discuss with my therapist, a sort of practice before the real thing so I make sure that when I talk to him that I make myself clear. When I do this, though, I sometimes realize that I am acting as my own therapist and at times actually answer my own questions and help myself.

Yes I have an inner monologue that runs also. Sometimes I go over in my head things that I am going to say or things that I should've said after an interaction. Other times I say things in my head that I normally wouldn't say out loud such as if something is a bad idea, I may not say it audibly but I do say it in my head.

Oh I do this all the time. I do it verbally a lot and have to look around to see if anyone is watching me. Sometimes people look at me like what is he doing. It is a way for me to get the craziness out of my head and just to think about things. I can't say that I am talking to anyone in my head but just out loud.

Hehe, I do it a lot! And often out loud, too (when I'm alone). Not only to prepare myself for an upcoming conversation with someone, but also as "correcting" and "updating" my part of a conversation that had already happened, sometimes even a few days ago.. (yeah, lame, I know) :oops:

Hmm, now, that I see it all written like this, it makes me feel more weird that I thought I was... :eek:
I do this alot. But sometimes I even dream I had a convesation with someone and get confused if it really happened... yep im a basket case

No. Not me. I'll rehearse a conversation possibly when I have an interview or will be giving a speech or going on a date, etc. My problem is after a conversation, I keep going over and over what happened and what was said during the conversation. If it went bad, I try to figure out what I could have said and if it went good I still go over the conversation and relive it again.

I acually like/hate this. It is excellent for helping to develop flawless speech which sone aspies have which could compensate for other factors like talking softly or not facing the person and it helps ,me personally, to plan for each outcome of an convesation which would have ended awkwardly if I had not antisipated it. And also I start t understand o other people better by scripting our convesation by noticing things I didn't get when he or she where talking to me due to the fact that just being in the convesation was hard enough. I also noticed that I can sometimes predict the persons reactions more easily abd antisipate it the more I compare what the say and what I think. But in other sense I hate it because sometimes I imagine someone said so.ething and that triggers enotion which obviously has no real motivation. And I often discover things in past conversations that I said that nake me feel embarrased and stupid now, and not just recent conversations, I can remember in detail things like this from kindrgarden and it makes me feel extremly low.

New Threads

Top Bottom