• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Inner conversations

I often discover things in past conversations that I said that make me feel embarrassed and stupid now, and not just recent conversations,

When I see typos in my email, I correct them. I correct typos in IMs, for that matter. Some people say that typos don't matter, that they understand from the context. That's ok for them----I correct my typos for my own satisfaction & clarity.
A typo can leap out at me and derail my thoughts, take them down a entirely different track from the intended destination.

From the 'Make a Spectrum Joke...' thread:
"Yo'Mama is so aspie that she finds it difficult to function comfortably in neurotypical society, preferring instead to exchange remarks on a forum where rules are clearly laid out , conversation is slower and can be edited.":neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral::neutral:

Sure.
That's me.

A typo can leap out at me and derail my thoughts, take them down a entirely different track from the intended destination.

I could never understand why typos bug me so much. You explained it perfectly. Thanks!

I always have internal conversations going on, I even write thread posts in my head most of which never actually get written. Sometimes I've found myself talking out loud.

I always have internal conversations going on, I even write thread posts in my head most of which never actually get written. Sometimes I've found myself talking out loud.

Last week one night I dreamed that I was reading what I had written about making posts.
And then another night, dreamed that I had been dreaming I was reading & making posts.

So, I seem to be talking to myself, in pictures and words, even when I am asleep.

Last edited:
ALL THE TIME!!! (Sorry, I swear I'm not shouting! Just excited!). Anyway, yes I always have a running dialogue in my head and also write thread posts prior to actually typing them. I think it might have something to do with mentally preparing myself for whatever is going to happen.

I wish I could stop or slow down my inner conversations. They get me 2 worked up. Sometimes when I am doing a project the inner conversation tricks me into thinking I already did something that I really didn't do but I completely went thru all the steps in my head.

Are dreams "inner conversations" ???

I live in two worlds.

There is the 'Awake' or real world. The 'Awake' world is very real and can be managed and has a continuity and flow and can be managed with consistent rules that stay the same.

There is the 'Dream' world when I lay down and sleep. It is very real. Same rules as the 'Awake' world. In the 'Dream' world everything goes wrong. Very bad things happen. Situations start well enough but then become unmanageable and end in disaster. I hate going to sleep. It is a relief when I wake and that world is at least "on hold" until I must sleep again. Dreams are not exactly repeated but often go to the same situations or kinds of situations. Most dreams are real enough that I am not sure if it is real or a dream until I wake up. I hate going to sleep, knowing I will experience that other reality.

Do you have conversations with people inside your head? I'm not talking about "voices" like what schizophrenics deal with. Just internal representations of people you know, and having conversations with them, like practicing so that you're ready to have a real conversation with the real person if/when the situation arises...or maybe just "talking" something out with a person to get their "feedback" from their perspective, even though it's not something you would actually discuss with them.

Trying to figure out if this is "normal"...or "aspie"...or just me being kinda weird, lol.

I've always found that I NEED to have practice conversations, otherwise I can just freeze up. Practice is good. ... But, sometimes I'm not sure if I've actually said something or if I imagined saying it. Of course, I've said things in groups that I wish I had only imagined saying.... C'est la vie!

I do it all the time. I quess its practising and preparing to a coming conversation with someone. I talk to them inside my head first, what i want to say to them in real life. Too bad the real conversations never go as nicely as in my head :( Probably because in real life you cant very well anticipate what the other people are saying and im poor to react to them in conversation. I also do this sometimes to relive what just happened and what i could have done differently or what i could have said.

Do you have conversations with people inside your head? I'm not talking about "voices" like what schizophrenics deal with. Just internal representations of people you know, and having conversations with them, like practicing so that you're ready to have a real conversation with the real person if/when the situation arises...or maybe just "talking" something out with a person to get their "feedback" from their perspective, even though it's not something you would actually discuss with them.

Trying to figure out if this is "normal"...or "aspie"...or just me being kinda weird, lol.
Yes, I have both of those conversations. I practice for actual conversations, but also talk with people in my head about stuff I wouldn't actually discuss with them. It can be interesting and helpful.
I don't only do it with people I know though, but also with fictional characters from time to time. I just have interesting conversations with them in my head. I think that's a mechanism to cope with boredom and occasional loneliness while the practice conversations are actually there to make an upcoming conversation easier for me.
I've always divided my inner conversations like that (practice and imaginary conversations) and they are clearly different for me.

Oh, and sometimes I catch myself talking to an imaginary someone about my special interest after having found some new interesting information about it and not having anyone else around to talk about it.
Oh, yes. I do that as well. I read someting about it and a bit later I'm like: "Did you know that..."
I guess it's a good thing. Probably I should do it more even when there's someone around. People aren't always as interested in hearing about what I found out as I am, so it would be nice not to bother them with it too much. But sometimes I cannot really stop it.

All the time. The only problem is when I forget I had the conversation with phantom-husband instead of real-husband. :oops:
Oh yes-yes-yes...I've done this soooo many times with sooooo many people!!! Completely understand.
Me too. It can be kind of funny though. Once I had a long conversation with my mother in my head. I told her something in all details. A few days later I realized I hadn't told her about it at all. My first thought was: "Oh, now I'll have to tell her everything all over again. I thought I had already done that."

I do it all the time. It helps me with concentracion and get me calm, like when i'm in a really loud place and I start to talk with myself. The bad thing is that i tend to forget the world when I begin to talk like this
Exactly. It can even get dangerous for me from time to time because I tend to get so absorbed in my inner conversations that I don't pay enough attention to what's going on, so it's hard to concentrate on the traffic at the same time. That's one of the reasons I avoid too crowded city places. It's loud, I know I'll probably go into that mode and won't pay attention to my surroundings.
Another thing I do in those situations instead of inner dialogues is either singing in my head (usually only two lines of a song over and over again) or quoting movie conversations etc. in my mind. The effect is basically the same.

I always have internal conversations going on, I even write thread posts in my head most of which never actually get written.
I do that too.
I prepare posts in my head, re-write them, think about different sentences, word order etc., but in the end I don't write any of them because I always feel it's still not good enough or not relevant or whatever.
Furthermore I sometimes have trouble finding the right words at all, so I have a thread post in my mind, but it's not really in words, but more what I think of the topic without words (I don't always think in words) and then trying to create the thread post in my head is almost impossible because I cannot put my thoughts in words, so I just don't write it. That can be frustrating.

Going to say it's normal for both NT\AS. maybe it's just a more useful tactic to us tho? But yes I talk to myself if I'm stuck on something, sometimes out load. Just put some headphones on and pretend you're singing.

That's a good idea with the headphones, JaffaCake .
Alternatively, you could pretend talking to someone on your mobile phone when you tend to do those conversations out loud. That would work in public and no one wonders about people talking on their phones. It's a normal thing to do and they don't know whether you're actually talking to somoneone or if it's just your own imaginary conversation.

all the time, if I am stuck on a problem I consult these inner advisors. I find it quiet helpful.

@ Nightingale121

It depends on what you prefer or fits the situation. I work as a cleaner normally use headphones now.
What do you guys do if you get caught by others talking to yourself?

I'm constantly mapping out conversation in my head or out loud.I do it aloud when I think nobody is looking but that's when somebody shows up and stares at me like I'm crazy.

I do this all the time. I had to stop myself from doing it with real people (having conversations with real people in my life in my head) it got confusing sometimes. I use pretend people who have no names and just talk to them about the stuff only I seem to care about. I also use it to problem solve and plan how I want to say something so it's as clear as possible.

New Threads

Top Bottom