• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

i’m looking for people like me

bb123

hello! i’m 14 & currently in the process of getting an ASD assessment. due to what i believe is called school refusal, i haven’t been attending school.

i’m on here to meet more people in my situation, since as of right now my social circle consists of like.. no one or even just people that can give me advice. i’m in a really tough spot right now and am finding it hard to cope with everything going on.
thank you :)

1665072928360.png

hello and welcome! i'm not in a similar position, but i am here to listen if you want to talk! and i can tell you that it has been incredible to have a space, even online, where i can interact with other autistics :)

hello! thank you so much for commenting. i think i just really want some advice on how to deal with everything, since i’m only at the beginning of my journey. i feel as thought i’m at my witts end and i don’t know any adults with autism (and/or whom have been through the process) that i can confide in

@bb123, You've come to the right place. :) Welcome. Everyone here has a story to tell, so plenty of good advice. Feel free to share a story and/or ask advice. We can probably steer you in the right direction.

So,...at this point, it seems, you are still at the point of questioning or suspecting you may be on the autism spectrum,...that's fine. Have you taken any of the on-line autism tests like the AQ or the RAADS-R? If you haven't, that may be a good place to start.

Because these tests are subjective, and subject to your own biases, the scores sometimes may reflect this. However, if you are scoring quite high, then the likelihood of a professional diagnosis of autism is also high. There are people who kind of fall into a "grey area" on these, and definitely need more of a professional to tease out the rest of the information needed for a diagnosis.

If you are female and are questioning, keep in mind that females often present differently than males,...and may "appear" to be "not meeting criteria". We can elaborate on this more, if this is the case.

@bb123, You've come to the right place. :) Welcome. Everyone here has a story to tell, so plenty of good advice. Feel free to share a story and/or ask advice. We can probably steer you in the right direction.

So,...at this point, it seems, you are still at the point of questioning or suspecting you may be on the autism spectrum,...that's fine. Have you taken any of the on-line autism tests like the AQ or the RAADS-R? If you haven't, that may be a good place to start.

Because these tests are subjective, and subject to your own biases, the scores sometimes may reflect this. However, if you are scoring quite high, then the likelihood of a professional diagnosis of autism is also high. There are people who kind of fall into a "grey area" on these, and definitely need more of a professional to tease out the rest of the information needed for a diagnosis.

If you are female and are questioning, keep in mind that females often present differently than males,...and may "appear" to be "not meeting criteria". We can elaborate on this more, if this is the case.
hello! thank you. i’ve actually already had an initial assessment, and have been unofficially diagnosed by a professional. i’m just waiting for a formal assessment so i can get documents and whatnot.

Welcome! Best wishes on your journey, and I hope you have a navigator to work with you to explore whatever programs and services may be available to you, especially given that in some jurisdictions, supports after age 18 may be significantly more limited.

Hi and welcome, this is a good place to get support and ask about autism and people's experiences. Everyone is different of course so we will all have some different experiences with autism, and with other challenges in our lives.

Many of the older people here, myself included, didn't get spotted at school or diagnosed, and many of us muddled through, trying to play to our strengths.

Having Autism is only part of who we are, but it can be quite mind blowing when you first realise. But you are an individual with lots of aspects, and you will grow and develop in many ways. I hope you feel happier and more settled soon.

Welcome!
people that can give me advice. i’m in a really tough spot right now and am finding it hard to cope with everything going on.
Ask away! You can start your own thread about pretty much anything, and just cast out a net for opinions. Undoubtedly, you will get a variety of opinions and advice to help guide you. You could probably find some other people who have experience with “school refusal“ here and if school is very troubling to you, some of us may be able to help.

hello! i’m 14 & currently in the process of getting an ASD assessment. due to what i believe is called school refusal, i haven’t been attending school.

i’m on here to meet more people in my situation, since as of right now my social circle consists of like.. no one or even just people that can give me advice. i’m in a really tough spot right now and am finding it hard to cope with everything going on.
thank you :)
I understand where you're coming from--best of luck with getting your assessment!

I'd be glad to lend an ear and offer advice, if you like. Granted, I'm over double your age and I wish I'd known of my autism when I was your age--but perhaps I may be able to offer insight. Sending good thoughts your way!

New Threads

Top Bottom