• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I regret kyphosis more than anything in my life

gl00m

As a result of bad posture and using computer until 4:00 AM, I deformed my spine over the years. I feel pressure in the spine when I stand, my neck is sometimes tense and pressured and I have back pain once or twice in a weekend.

I now realize that there is no greater treasure than physical health. To me being physically healthy is one of my highest valued life priorities.

Even psychological torture during high school doesn't compare to the psychological pain from kyphosis. The realization that I have to deal with kyphosis for the rest of my life and that it will get worse when I older is makes me dysphoric and suicidal. It affects my mental health more than anything else.

The reason for making this thread is not because I seek pity or help.
I just want to tell things from my perspective and share a moral message that people should not take their health for granted and that healthy people should be more grateful.

Last edited:
*types it into google*
*starts researching how earlier stages look*
*tries to look up whether it's reversible in early stages*
:coldsweat:

Sad to hear about your pain, but you will learn to live with it, trust me. I have had Ankylosing Spondylitis since my twenties and have needed a cane to get around for over twenty years whilst my neck becomes ever more difficult to move, but you learn to adapt. Don't let yourself dwell on the things you can't do and make the most of the things you can.
There may not be a cure for you like there isn't for myself, but there's plenty of pain medications and therapies to help you cope. Try to keep as active as you can, learn to live with your limitations and above all, try not to let it get you down or beat yourself up about it.

I am grown up now and 22 years old. There is no cure for kyphosis when your spine is fully developed.

Yeah, and it seems pretty typical of similar conditions.

I'm 36 myself. I dont have kyphosis, but instead have other issues. I dont know what the name is for mine (chances are they told me and I immediately forgot) but I have alot of nerve/tendon problems (plenty of which are indeed in my spine, because of course). Like, ALOT of them. Not in just one specific area. My neck and arms tend to be the worst, but it can hit anywhere. It can cause travelling pain too (problem is in your shoulder for instance, but you actually feel it in your forearm... it just makes it even more confusing). Or I can get all "locked up". I've had days where it'd get bad enough that I'd have trouble walking. And I dont mean like, recently. This all started probably 12 years ago. The very first time it happened I ended up on the floor for like 30 minutes... 24 is nowhere NEAR old enough for an "I've fallen and cant get up" incident to happen, but there it was anyway. Though it wasnt so much a fall as it was a sort of slow descent...

I remember I used to take Advil for it, and I'd take like 4 pills at once and it didnt do a bloody thing. Aside from making me really irritated that it wasnt doing anything. I'm on better painkillers now, cyclobenzaprine and Tramadol. But they can only do so much.

I will say this though: Physical therapy has been a godsend. The problem I have is chronic and never going to go away. It just isnt. As you said, there is no "cure" for this sort of thing. But PT can nullify some of the effects (as long as you go there regularly, of course). I dont get all locked up even remotely as often as I used to now. And on the rare bad day when I do, I can go into PT and they can sort of get me out of it (granted that tends to also hurt, but that's PT for you).

For anyone with these sorts of issues, I'd *strongly* recommend looking into PT to see what they might be able to do for you. It's something that's not easy... they ARE going to work you and it IS going to hurt and you're gonna have to bloody well do it anyway... but holy crap is it worth it. Obviously it's not a solution that can work for literally every condition, but it's worth carefully looking into.

You may be fully grown but not by that much. Definitely try physical therapy because sometimes bone isnt as set at age 22 as the experts think since every human body is different.
I was still growing in height until at least age 19.
Also, get your eyes checked for glasses because a young person should be able to see the computer without scrunching down.

Sorry to hear; chronic, painful conditions suck. But, you'll learn to live with it. Do daily physiotherapy and learn pain management techniques, and by the time you're 25 this will just be another part of your life that you barely give a 2nd thought. Also, maybe try and join a chronic pain support group.

New Threads

Top Bottom