• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How To Proceed With My Aspie?

I would stop sleeping with him so you can get your bearings. Aspies are intense and will make you feel a lot. That is just my advise, then you can see him without the physical part getting in the way. Having sex with him will make you more and more attached and he will NOT be more attached to you. Out of sight out of mind is something that can happen. Yet, YOU will be all wrapped up in him. Aspies and auties make NTs feel things they have not felt before because auties and aspies think differently about everything. So you will never forget being with him, but he might forget being with you.

There are numerous websites that discuss adult relationships between Aspies and NTs from the point of view of NTs rather than the point of view of Aspies. You might want to check them out before you make any further decisions.

How old are you? Speaking as an old man this sounds like typical relationships, nothing to do with Asperger's.
What part of NYC? I was born and raised in Long Island City, Queens back in the 50s-60s.

Hello
From experience - and out of respect to both of you, if one partner states clearly that they are not ready for a relationship, it's not your job to persuade them otherwise - and you run a very real risk of getting hurt.
I would suggest that it doesn't matter why he doesn't want a relationship - what matters is that you have fundamentally different requirements.
If a man (or a woman) warns that they may hurt you, it's a very good reason to run the other way, even if (and perhaps especially if) his or her presence is making you feel wonderful at the moment.
Have you been honest with him and said you want a relationship? It's clearly making you feel uncomfortable at the moment and rightly so - this guy knows how he's been in previous relationships and is trying to protect you. I would listen to him and do what it takes to respect yourself and your own needs.
It's very easy to get swept up in the romance and wonder of early love but I would take extreme care....

Ask me how I know! ;)

I started dating an Aspie a few months ago (I am not) and things started out slowly but we had a lot in common. After a few dates (we had already begun sleeping together, and it was very good), he told me he didn't want a serious relationship for a number of reasons (work, he wasn't good in relationships), but still wanted to remain friends. I got worked up over this, but we ended up getting closer than ever. We have still slept together just a couple times, but he ends up pulling back when we do. The thing is, we converse from the second we wake up to the moment we go to bed (mostly through text, but also through email and phone), share everything with each other, often sleep in bed together, and he's very affectionate with me. We've gotten into one big fight where he said something that seriously hurt my feelings and I was very upset and said I wasn't sure if we could continue on and he was crying so hard. We have discussed the relationship thing two or three times and his stance on it has not changed: He believes I am too sensitive for him to be in a relationship with because he would say things that hurt my feelings or I would not understand and therefore "we would end up driving each other crazy and I would eventually want to kill" him. But I am so confused because I feel like I am in a relationship at this point. We are so close, closer than I've been with many men I have been dating.

What should I do, how should I proceed?
One thing Aspies do is tell the stark truth no matter how much it hurts. They don't mean to hurt the other person, they just tell it like they see it. If you could learn to not take it personally, it might help. He probably fears you will leave him so he is taking the initiative to suggest it isn't going to work out. Both of you might find help at www.aspergerexperts.com. Good luck and God bless!

I hope you don't mind if I jump in, because I'm the female version of your boyfriend.

I am also in a deep "friendship" with someone (not sexual, my choice). I can tell he wants more, but I've reached a point in my life where I am able to "understand" my past relationships and I've also learned a great deal about myself.

If someone, especially an Aspie, tells you they aren't ready (or good -- or any other description) in a relationship, you need to hear them. That's the first issue. As an Aspie, he's going to be reviewing your friendship constantly (to himself) and the first thing he'll notice is that you don't seem to "hear" him when he speaks.

Someone who says they are not good in a relationship, and offers the example that you are too sensitive to him, is telling you the truth.

It's not necessarily saying there is anything bad with either of you, but he knows how he communicates and how others react. In fact, he witnessed a meltdown (yours) because you felt hurt. With Aspies, they are often caught in positions where people are upset with them, either because they don't understand that the words were not meant to be emotional, they were meant to be words. Also, he's seeing you have difficulty understanding him. You obviously talk about a lot of things, but it's possible he doesn't talk to you about everything, because he questions your reactions.

Personally, I don't disclose my "Aspie" label unless people need to know. I'm also asexual, which means I have no sexual attraction to any gender.

However, I *do* have Aspie traits which include often misunderstanding something in text or writing because I can't hear whether someone is being serious or joking.

While most people understand my offbeat humor, my particular friend (mentioned above) doesn't. He takes everything very seriously. I end up explaining that I was joking, or listening to very long explanations I'm not interested in -- because he thinks I truly don't understand something when, in fact, I'm being sarcastic.

He does lots of things well, and I am able to learn through watching someone else, so I enjoy those times together. We have a lot in common, a lot we don't share in common, but we enjoy each other's company and humor and do really well together.

In fact, others who see us together so often just assume we are a "couple," but I go out of my way to assure them that's not true.

Relationships mean different things to different people. While Aspies tend to be incredibly truthful, they also need to be heard when they speak.

I have had a lifetime of "other people's baggage," defining me as someone's Mother, someone's wife, someone's sister.

A relationship puts that "someone's" label back in place, and I don't want to do that. I don't trust anyone enough to be completely transparent.

I hate the idea of phone calls asking what you're doing, the idea of someone viewing or knowing passwords or seeing personal correspondence, hacking, stalking, etc.

Of course, others don't necessarily see their relationships that way, but I do. I don't want to have to apologize for someone else's behavior, I don't want to be judged by who my friends are, I don't want someone expecting me to drop everything because they say so.

So, what I'm saying, is that you might be the closest friend he has, but he's not ready to make it an official "relationship." I tend to believe these friendships last far longer (as much as a lifetime in some instances) than relationships.

I've been in plenty of dating/sexual relationships -- enough to know where I am in the whole thing. I'm comfortable having friends I feel close (and safe) with without making them an integral part of my life.

I've also seen Aspies in high-level positions who will cry and obsess if someone they don't know unfriends them on Facebook.

All Aspies are different, but the one things I've found to be true (based on experience and research) is that we don't lie.

We might not know how to express our apprehension to someone who doesn't understand, but in our hearts and heads, we know what we want.

I just tell people who want a sexual relationship that "I don't roll that way," and if I trust someone enough I'll hug or hold hands or whatever, but I'm old enough that most friends have known me a lifetime -- before my diagnosis a year ago.

All the diagnosis did was give me a reason to explain (to myself) my past history.

Hi Confused.
I feel for you huge. I was in a similar relationship for the last 2 years and actually found this forum for answers.

My Aspie opted out of the relationship. I am - NT-ish. I can relate with so much that you say. Getting along well, being treated like the girlfriend. His trust issues due to the past. In my case, he also bonded with all four of my sons.

I too felt incredibly special, we texted all day, and phone calls everyday (the last part of our relationship was long distance as he moved for work) The seemingly mixed signals of being 'like' a girlfriend but his 'not ready' for a relationship. That backburnered feeling.... yes, I know it well.

We never fought. Not once. We never had a lot of difficulty communicating. I am still trying to wrap my head around it all. He even stated no one understood him the way I did. He loves me - just not sure if its like a lover, or a sister. (I know right?)

I have spent some time trying to uncover what I could have done differently, and the things I did right. Please, have the benefit of what I have learned through my pain:

#1 ABSOLUTELY #1 - Get your own things going on. Get involved in things that interest you (without him), that fill YOU up. That make YOU feel good. Pursue the things that build you up and keep you connected to other people.

#2 Ease up on the texting. As much as I loved hearing from my xaspie all day. It has become a bit of a sore point now that we are no longer together. Where before I connected with my xaspie I would not have felt lonely (I barely used text) NOW, I feel a big gaping quiet hole in my day. This kind of connectedness is really great at the right stage of the relationship. A stage where you are at least considered a g/f or and you are building to something more.

I also think sometimes (and please others correct me if I am wrong) we become a bit of the routine of the day. While we might ascribe interest or feelings to these texts - I suspect its more a case of 'It is my habit to send a text to Y when I get home from work for the day'... its kind of like brushing teeth before bed. Its just something he does.

#3 Disentangle some. Seems like you guys are probably pretty involved in each others worlds. Share a little less. Find other people you can talk to about the things going on in your world/inside you. I think we NT's place a lot more value on intimate communications that our aspiefriends do (again correct me if I am wrong)

For example: When we share a heart-wrenching story from our past - it usually means that we trust, and care about the person we are sharing this with. When an aspie does, they share because it is true. I suspect aspies do not relate how sharing hopes dreams and intimate details of life translates into emotional intimacy for those of us who do not think the way they do.

#4 Date! I know right, seriously seems counterproductive but here is the thing. You have no commitment. He is not ready, and honestly, he may never be. Dont put YOURSELF on the backburner... He has been honest with you, so accept it. Allow some fellah to take you out, allow yourself to see the potential in other men. Dont make it ALL about your Aspiefriend.

If he is into you, and capable of it, he will do the work he needs to be ready to have you in his life as a real girlfriend. Certainly seeing/knowing that you are going out with other men will somewhat force his hand into at least re-examining his feelings for you. Now, I say that cautiously. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try to make him jealous. DO be honest, but I think EVERYONE can see right through an attempt to make someone jealous - and it only leds to unattractive feelings. I mean, legitimately date. Go out with guys you have a true interest in.

Had i done the above, I think there is a good possibility that my Aspiefriend and I would still, at very least, be friends. Which really is the most tragic part of our story. We have known each other since we were 5, lost each other for 20 years and then were reconnected... and, I miss his quirks and his unusual honesty and his fascinating mind, and his kind heart... sigh.

Hope this helps.

Wait a minute. Why do you get to define the relationship model? For all you know it's the labels that creep him out.

Because the idea that he is confused as to weather he loves me like a lover or a sister when we were making love is disturbing to me....

Thank you all so much for all of this. I felt like I was reading so many helpful - and resonating - things.

Diagnosed2015, I feel like he was saying some of those things to me, and he has said a lot of those things to me. He has on a couple occasions told me I don't listen to him or hear him (not about relationship stuff, about other things), and I told him that hurts because I listen to everything he says.

I want to answer a couple questions that you all had for me throughout this convo.

I am 31, and he is 32. We haven't slept together in about 5 weeks. We have kissed, but pretty innocently. We do still sleep in bed together on occasion and cuddle, and hold hands sometimes, and he does get excited by me. He's told me he thinks I'm beautiful recently.

I told him multiple times that I will not persuade him into a relationship, but I have also made my feelings clear to him on multiple occasions.

"He has on a couple occasions told me I don't listen to him or hear him (not about relationship stuff, about other things), and I told him that hurts because I listen to everything he says."

This may be part of the problem? In my case, my fellah was SUPER sensitive to hurting others. (I suspect this may be a consistent concern for most aspies?)

I think in ALL relationships, particularly when you are with someone who is sensitive to hurting others it is important to reframe the conversation less emotionally. He doesnt always need to know he has hurt you. figure out what you need and ask for it. Not 'it hurt me that you didnt think to take out the garbage' instead 'would you take out the garbage?'

Hurt feelings are, more often than not, about you, rather than something your friend has done. It is not his (or anyones) job to manage your feelings. Its yours. Try to understand what is really hurting you is a need not met - (in the garbage case, it might be that you are overwhelmed, or feeling forgotten, or just having a bad day and taking everything wrong) and ask for what you really need. (more help around the house. fun time together, more attention, a nap)

It seems to me he is trying to tell you a problem (he doesnt feel you 'get' the things that are important to him - and they are VERY important to him) and you are having 'hurt feelings' which to him translates to 'sensitivity'. HE was the one trying to express himself to you about where he felt there was a disconnect. You turned it into hurt feelings(because it hurts when the one we love dont think we are perfect), he feels like a jerk and is less likely to say something if he is afraid he will hurt you.

Makes it hard for you to meet each others needs if he doesnt feel 'safe' to say what is on his mind.

GirlWonders, yes! he has made it very clear, since maybe our 3rd date, he HATES hurting others. that he can't stand it and he worries due to the fact he thinks i'm "emotional" (by the way, this is the first time anyone has told me that), that he will consistently hurt me.

my only thing is i have tried to explain to him we can take things very slow, and i would like to learn how to navigate each other as we go along, and even see if we can navigate each other. (i can tell we can, as even now we are learning to...)

Exactly, and that is because this is the message you are sending him. Loving someone more often than not is about having a stiff upper lip and working through your own hurt than it is about someone ELSE easing your hurt.

His very slow, and Your very slow are two different things.
Especially if he has been burned by love.

Like I said, earlier, give him more space, and learn more about what it means to be on the spectrum, it really helps to communicate if you understand how the messages you are sending will be received. Right now you are speaking french and he is hearing dutch...

I'm really worried, and I think someone mentioned this earlier, that some of the things he says, that I translate as him expressing his feelings to me, are nothing at all. Like I'm reading into things. And I don't know what to do about this...

I agree with girlwonders that it's important that you take ownership of your own feelings in a relationship - however there is a balance to be had here.

It sounds to me ConfusedNYC that you're walking on eggshells somewhat at the moment in order to give him what he needs in the hope that he will decide you understand enough, are cool enough, are (you fill in the blank) enough to make him change his mind about dating.

Yes he may feel misunderstood when you respond in an emotional way to his behaviour but in a workable relationship both parties need to be free to be authentic, to be heard in whatever way they require - whilst at the same time taking responsibility for their own reactions.

It's understandable that you feel confused and hurt at the moment - understandable and natural. If you continue to "go along with things" in the hope that things will change, whilst suppressing what you really feel, at some point you will end up either losing yourself or losing the plot.....Relationships that work require compromise from both parties - and being on the spectrum isn't an excuse for not doing this - it may, however be a reason why he simply can't behave differently and perhaps this is what he's warning you about.

I'm on the spectrum, and have been in a relationship with someone also on the spectrum for the last 5 years. At the start he behaved in a similar way to this guy - and gave the same warnings - I thought it would all be fine since I'm easy going, and he loved (and still does) me to the ends of the earth. Eventually it wasn't fine and I had to ask for what I really needed - he simply couldn't manage it and we've now separated. Whilst there were very good times, especially early on, being with someone who's ambivalent, blows hot and cold, can be extremely damaging for your self esteem.

Looking from where I am now, if I did it again, I would have listened in the early days, listened and really heard and moved on. If he is really keen to make changes and make a go of things, he will know where to find you.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: I do not do romance- at all. Friends-with-Benefits, queer-platonic, just-friends- all yes. Romantic relationships, no. That said, the relationships I do have are happy and communicative ones. So.

First off, sit yourself down with a beverage of your choice, and answer some questions. Pen and paper help some people gather their thoughts better. The beverage is to help with how uncomfortable this can be. Hot chocolate suggested.

Why is having the title of Official, Romantic Relationship really that important to you? What would change, in regards to your relationship as it stands, if you had that title? Monogamy? Security? What do you actually want out of this relationship? Something long-term? Marriage? Can your target-of-affections reasonably give it to you? If his feelings never change, is that reason to leave him? Is there something unsatisfactory about the way things are- other than the supposed ambiguity?

This may be too honest, but your relationship does not seem that ambiguous. Your friend seems to not want a romantic relationship, for whatever reason, has stated so, and you should respect that. If he has had bad experiences in the past, do not push. If he's simply uninterested in the conventions of the typical relationship, do not push. If he doesn't have a reason at all, do not push.

You are looking for subtext, when you should be reading the actual text.

Hoatzins, I worry that you're right. But it's how do I explain his emotional investment, etc etc? Do I just back away from all that?

Hoatzins, I worry that you're right. But it's how do I explain his emotional investment, etc etc? Do I just back away from all that?
Firstly, his emotional investment does not have to have romantic overtones? Affection and sexual contact are not just romantic things. They are what they are: Affection and sexual contact. They can have friendship connotations if that is what is agreed upon.
The same goes for saying, "I love you." Can it be romantic? Yes. Can it be platonic? Also, yes. Friendly, familial, sarcastic, et cetera? All yes.
You are not backing out of the emotional investment, the affection, and all of that. You are simply drawing away from the meaning you have assigned to all of it. You are the one that gets to decide whether or not you stay in your situation.

Also, you were not clear where you thought I was right, so I had to guess. I hope that this conversation was taken in a productive direction.

New Threads

Top Bottom