• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How old were when you got your Asperger's diagnosis?

I was in my late fifties. Just a couple of months ago, in fact :)

There's no compelling reason to tell a child; when they simply need strategies to cope and a helpful environment. I wish I had known as an adult, though; it would have made my career decisions so much easier.

Like so many things, we should scale the explanation to the person's ability to comprehend it; and the good it will do.

I was 38 and it came as some kind of relief after a lifelong battle with depression and other things. Thankfully it has opened up a whole new perspective and a fresh outlook on life for me.

I will be 40 this year. I was recently diagnosed after having what I thought was a nervous breakdown (I've had three). It is, and has been a wild ride. I am actively trying to improve my life, and build the skills I need to be successful. It is nice to have words to put to the differences I have from the general population.
I am autistic!

I will be 40 this year. I was recently diagnosed after having what I thought was a nervous breakdown (I've had three). It is, and has been a wild ride. I am actively trying to improve my life, and build the skills I need to be successful. It is nice to have words to put to the differences I have from the general population.
I am autistic!
My neighbor is autistic, and so is her daughter. They are very open about it. I think it is beautiful. I don't see why it would need to be left out of the growing process.

Diagnosed at 45. It helped explain everything that went before and I wish I'd known years earlier! I've learned so much since 2008!

I'm still on the long waiting list to be seen face-to-face, but they'll get to me eventually. The lady in my area who does this is part-time :( and I've been waiting for 2yrs now as well.

I am nearly 35, and have my diagnostic assessment and follow up on the 10th and 11th October. I was fast tracked through the system within six months, not sure whether this is because they think my case is more severe and thus more urgent.

25. I second Sportster's comment; I finally knew why people never made any sense, why they were so unfair and hypocritical all the time, why they struggled with the concept of puns and quotes.

So I guess I actually subvert Sportsters comment, but the sentiment is the same.

I'm not officially diagnosed, as the doctor didn't believe I'm autistic (I see myself as h/f autistic rather than an Aspie) as I'm very intelligent and tick too many social boxes! Even when I mentioned I struggle(d) with the situations mentioned (marriage, holding down a job etc), she didn't think I'm autistic. However, I've read some books on the subject and they all but confirm my self-diagnosis. So many things have fallen into place, including things I hadn't thought of, assuming them to be "just me" or not realising they weren't normal! I think I'm glad I didn't know as a child as my home life was dysfunctional and, although my parents would have cut me some slack, it would have made things difficult for my sister; also, depending on how my stepdad was feeling on the day (he had a lot of baggage of his own), I might have been accused of playing on my condition to get out of trouble or cut an interminable lecture short, whether I was doing so or not. However, I wish I'd known when it came to choosing a career, as I went down paths I wasn't suited for, having been led to believe I could do anything if I put my mind to it - with the exception of maths, which was accepted as being a no-no for me, as it was for most of my family, if I didn't succeed in something, I was usually told to try harder and apply myself, which was the worst advice, as it contributed to me trying too hard, then wondering why I couldn't do anything right! They meant well, of course, they just didn't know.

And how did you feel about it? My daughter is 8 and we have not told her yet. She also has ADHD and OCD, we have told her about those, but we don't know what to say about Asperger's. We are not sure we can explain it to her yet.
Hi , i wasn't diagnosed until i was 42 , i spent 25 years doing poorly paid labour and struggling constantly to engage in anyway with anyone and could never hold down a job for very long . Being diagnosed with asperger's was the single most fantastic thing that could have happened for the simple reason that i understood finally that there was nothing "wrong" with me a all ! i am simply a different type of human . Since diagnoses i studied and studied i am on my second post grad course and intend to gain my phd in forensic psychology within four years . I too was told i had an obsessive disorder but when channeled correctly this can become an advantage because of the pure focus and commitment people with obsessional minds are capable of . Congradulations i am sure your 8 year old will do just fine with your guidance

I was over fifty. When I learned what it is, it was like a light came on and the world became new to me. Things finally made sense.
i completely agree ! 42 years i spent in the labyrinth , post diagnoses was the best thing that could have happened to me and those around me . consciousness , focus and acceptance that i am a different type of human being but no less valuable

There is so much negativity here about asbergers , people speak of glue like feeling and being encased in a tomb , Guys we are a fantastic people , we are computer programmers we are problem solvers we see the wood in the trees that others do not we are the ultimate chess players , mathematicians unbelievable works of art come from us , while they spend hundreds of thousands of pounds employing strategists and sitting in thing tanks looking at graphs we are able to waltz in and bewilder them with our natural vision. Please please embrace this , find your strength focus your amazing mind decide what you want to do and show the world YOU. you are nice , you are caring but in this world of ruthless narcissists you have one advantage you are clever.

25. I second Sportster's comment; I finally knew why people never made any sense, why they were so unfair and hypocritical all the time, why they struggled with the concept of puns and quotes.

So I guess I actually subvert Sportsters comment, but the sentiment is the same.
I never seem to know when someone is patronising me but my wife lets me know that its normally after ive told the person that their suit is too small or that they need a haircut or even that some of their body is omitting an unpleasant odor , i was just trying to help them thats all

Like so many things, we should scale the explanation to the person's ability to comprehend it; and the good it will do.
I'm 31 and I've only just begun to comprehend my ASD this past couple of years. Before that, the past 21 years have been a struggle because my parents never explained in depth to me about my condition. I just knew I had 'learning difficulties.' Maybe they thought I wouldn't understand as I didn't understand a lot of things at the time. Thanks to the internet now, I have learnt as much I can about the spectrum and everything about my life makes a lot of sense.

Like so many things , we should never make assumptions on a persons ability to comprehend any explanation we try to give , especially when the explanation is only intended for good purposes .

I never seem to know when someone is patronising me but my wife lets me know that its normally after ive told the person that their suit is too small or that they need a haircut or even that some of their body is omitting an unpleasant odor , i was just trying to help them thats all

I never do that. Guess someone told me it was rude at an early age. I don't even point out things that maybe should be, until I can't take it anymore. And I can tell when people are patronizing, it's just hard to tell why, especially when the threat of sensory overload insists on keeping me locked in the present so I can't remember the last few moments.

I never do that. Guess someone told me it was rude at an early age. I don't even point out things that maybe should be, until I can't take it anymore. And I can tell when people are patronizing, it's just hard to tell why, especially when the threat of sensory overload insists on keeping me locked in the present so I can't remember the last few moments.
This might help you deal with your self obsession and put your planet earth into some kind of perspective because i think this 5 year old boy has more to worry about than sensory overload https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...LSOnO4MyCuBt27u3fFpfpg&bvm=bv.135258522,d.ZGg

...has more to worry about than sensory overload...
Sensory overload is not a willful, self-centered decision. It is a reflex; a fight-or-flight response. Comparing it to a traumatized little boy is comparing apples-to-oranges.

New Threads

Top Bottom