• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How old were when you got your Asperger's diagnosis?

@54 I was told i've got many aspie tendencies by a profesional aftersomething happend and having heard much about me,but when I went and got tested, although they confirmed the same, i was refused the diagnosis because they wanted to talk to a family member and as they had moved and lost contact they said they wouldn't confirm i had Asperges until they spoke with them?????
find another professional! they do diagnose aspergers in adults without family,ive known of people in their 80s and no family be diagnosed,youve just come across a strict professional,theyre a mixed bag-my pyschologist is awesome he discusses with me if i think i have a condition [for example we discussed my life long OCD tendencies recently and he informally diagnosed me after he went over how i matched the criterias]

13 cause I only got one when I started exhibiting signs of depression as well.

Was diagnosed at 29. Never considered I might have Aspergers before that. Made a hell of a lot of sense though, and still does.

Mary Terry- Did you even read your own post? It is obvious that you truly never had any real empathy for your brother and his family and what they were going through. Especially to what your sister in law was going through. How did you expect her to disclose her diagnoses to people who treated her as "crazy, psychotic, or otherwise off". It is hard enough to disclose to people who seem understanding and safe. Also, I'm not sure why you believe her not disclosing her AS lead to your brothers death? I'm sorry for your loss of your brother but I believe that in your grief you are placing blame on a person who has perhaps been much more hurt and misunderstood, not just now that your brother is dead, but for their entire marriage.

We all had tremendous empathy for her and my brother when their son was diagnosed at age 2-1/2. He is now 25 years old and lives at home with her as a virtual prisoner. We are not strangers to handicaps in our family and are well educated, most are professionals, and we all began learning all that we could about autism to help their son. She was diagnosed with autism years before she even met my brother but did not tell him even after their son was diagnosed as low functioning. Instead, she accused our completely NT family of causing her son's autism, demanded that we all leave our brains to science to find the source of her son's autism, while the entire time she knew that she, her mother, and sister were autistic. In short, she "passed" as NT, lied continuously by omission about it, and blamed our family for something that does not exist in our genes. I feel she contributed to my brother's premature death by causing him so much stress arising from her extremely abusive behavior to him. There is substantial literature available about the stress experienced by NTs married to autistics. Had he had a chance to know what was wrong with her, then he most likely would have handled the marital relationship differently. He was a beautiful, warm, caring person, and a medical professional, quite capable of grasping what autism is and responding appropriately to it. As it was, they each had attorneys and were in the midst of divorcing when he died of an apparent heart attack. About a year after his death, because she couldn't cope with many of the simplest tasks in life and needed my help to function and take care of her autistic son, she finally confided to me that she was autistic, that she never told my brother of her diagnosis, and that her entire family on her mother's side is autistic. She continues to defame my family to this day on social media to the point that virtually no one in our family will have anything to do with her. The only reason I continue to have contact with her is to help my nephew, and I try to keep her at arm's length because she is verbally and emotionally abusive by any standard. Her family on her father's side (all NT) also refuses to have anything to do with her. She claims her mother and sister refuse to have anything to do with her, too, and it's certainly true that they never visit. Having alienated all her family members and us in-laws, she now tries to get people from a church which she does not attend and neighbors to do everything for her - clean her nasty house, get her car serviced, mow her lawn, grocery shop for her, make sandwiches for her son (who is perfectly capable of making his own sandwiches because he does it all the time at MY house but whom she will not allow to do for himself). The church people and neighbors ask us about her, expressing concern about her obvious "off" mental state. I flat out tell everyone that she is autistic and un-medicated bi-polar so they can understand why she acts as she does. She exhibits something akin to Munchausen's syndrome by proxy by her refusal to allow her son to learn anything. He's 25 years old and she still insists on dressing him as it he were a toddler and making all his food. I know he is frustrated and his ability to take care of himself has been greatly impaired by her refusal to let him learn. I know he loves to come stay with me for the freedom and independence I allow him. At my house, he dresses himself, makes his own sandwiches and salads with limited supervision by me, watches whatever he wants on TV, reads Wikipedia animal descriptions all day long on the computer if he wants to, etc. I taught him table manners and how to use silverware and a napkin at age 20 because she never did. Prior to my teaching him, he literally ate everything with his fingers, including salad dripping with ranch dressing. It is a pretty disgusting sight to see a 20 year old man eating salad with his fingers in a restaurant. He now proudly goes to restaurants with me where he orders his own food by pointing at the menu or reading the item description aloud, and uses acceptably good manners. Oh, there's one other thing - she also confided to me that she is diagnosed with full blown bi-polar disorder but refuses to take her medications because she "doesn't feel like herself" or she "can't sleep" or she gets "upset stomach" or whatever the excuse de jure may be. She is a train wreck and incessant liar. The combination of autism and her mental illness is almost too much to deal with. But for my nephew, I'd cut her totally out of my life. Sorry this is so long but I hope I've answered your questions.

We all had tremendous empathy for her and my brother when their son was diagnosed at age 2-1/2. He is now 25 years old and lives at home with her as a virtual prisoner. We are not strangers to handicaps in our family and are well educated, most are professionals, and we all began learning all that we could about autism to help their son. She was diagnosed with autism years before she even met my brother but did not tell him even after their son was diagnosed as low functioning. Instead, she accused our completely NT family of causing her son's autism, demanded that we all leave our brains to science to find the source of her son's autism, while the entire time she knew that she, her mother, and sister were autistic. In short, she "passed" as NT, lied continuously by omission about it, and blamed our family for something that does not exist in our genes. I feel she contributed to my brother's premature death by causing him so much stress arising from her extremely abusive behavior to him. There is substantial literature available about the stress experienced by NTs married to autistics. Had he had a chance to know what was wrong with her, then he most likely would have handled the marital relationship differently. He was a beautiful, warm, caring person, and a medical professional, quite capable of grasping what autism is and responding appropriately to it. As it was, they each had attorneys and were in the midst of divorcing when he died of an apparent heart attack. About a year after his death, because she couldn't cope with many of the simplest tasks in life and needed my help to function and take care of her autistic son, she finally confided to me that she was autistic, that she never told my brother of her diagnosis, and that her entire family on her mother's side is autistic. She continues to defame my family to this day on social media to the point that virtually no one in our family will have anything to do with her. The only reason I continue to have contact with her is to help my nephew, and I try to keep her at arm's length because she is verbally and emotionally abusive by any standard. Her family on her father's side (all NT) also refuses to have anything to do with her. She claims her mother and sister refuse to have anything to do with her, too, and it's certainly true that they never visit. Having alienated all her family members and us in-laws, she now tries to get people from a church which she does not attend and neighbors to do everything for her - clean her nasty house, get her car serviced, mow her lawn, grocery shop for her, make sandwiches for her son (who is perfectly capable of making his own sandwiches because he does it all the time at MY house but whom she will not allow to do for himself). The church people and neighbors ask us about her, expressing concern about her obvious "off" mental state. I flat out tell everyone that she is autistic and un-medicated bi-polar so they can understand why she acts as she does. She exhibits something akin to Munchausen's syndrome by proxy by her refusal to allow her son to learn anything. He's 25 years old and she still insists on dressing him as it he were a toddler and making all his food. I know he is frustrated and his ability to take care of himself has been greatly impaired by her refusal to let him learn. I know he loves to come stay with me for the freedom and independence I allow him. At my house, he dresses himself, makes his own sandwiches and salads with limited supervision by me, watches whatever he wants on TV, reads Wikipedia animal descriptions all day long on the computer if he wants to, etc. I taught him table manners and how to use silverware and a napkin at age 20 because she never did. Prior to my teaching him, he literally ate everything with his fingers, including salad dripping with ranch dressing. It is a pretty disgusting sight to see a 20 year old man eating salad with his fingers in a restaurant. He now proudly goes to restaurants with me where he orders his own food by pointing at the menu or reading the item description aloud, and uses acceptably good manners. Oh, there's one other thing - she also confided to me that she is diagnosed with full blown bi-polar disorder but refuses to take her medications because she "doesn't feel like herself" or she "can't sleep" or she gets "upset stomach" or whatever the excuse de jure may be. She is a train wreck and incessant liar. The combination of autism and her mental illness is almost too much to deal with. But for my nephew, I'd cut her totally out of my life. Sorry this is so long but I hope I've answered your questions.

So you pretty much think your like a sober person going to an NA meeting to ***** about how some addict or addicts have ruined your life, because we all need to see how our autistic behaviors are affecting the NT's around us? It's not a lifestyle choice sweetie. Actually going and posting on a forum in such length and detail to vent about and verbally trash your sister in law only proves you should stay out of her business and mind your own ISSUES because you obviously have plenty of your own. If you came here for some validation of your idea that we are all the same and should be able to explain or apologize for her behavior then I'm afraid you will be disappointed. Either way I haven't seen a post from her yet complaining about how she has to deal with such a critical person (you) in her life so my advice to you is to do some real work on yourself and your own empathy, maybe then you'll be able to really help your family.

My understanding is that this is a site for people with Autism spectrum disorders, and NTs who want to understand so that they can have better relationships with the people in their lives. Had you a different attitude and came here out of genuine caring and wanting to help someone I'm sure there are plenty here who would have given that to you.

So you pretty much Lthink your like a sober person going to an NA meeting to ***** about how some addict or addicts have ruined your life, because we all need to see how our autistic behaviors are affecting the NT's around us? It's not a lifestyle choice sweetie. Actually going and posting on a forum in such length and detail to vent about and verbally trash your sister in law only proves you should stay out of her business and mind your own ISSUES because you obviously have plenty of your own. If you came here for some validation of your idea that we are all the same and should be able to explain or apologize for her behavior then I'm afraid you will be disappointed. Either way I haven't seen a post from her yet complaining about how she has to deal with such a critical person (you) in her life so my advice to you is to do some real work on yourself and your own empathy, maybe then you'll be able to really help your family.

I know little about NA or drug addicts but I get your analogy. While autism is not a matter of choice, deliberately lying about one's autism is a conscious decision and act. The length of my post is in response to all the questions asked about my situation on this thread. No, SIL certainly has not ruined my life although I believe she ruined my brother's life due to her lying and abusive behavior. The main thing my family and I want now more than anything is to NOT be involved in her business and incessant issues but she demands we do so. We do not want anything to do with her but cannot escape her due to our concerns about her son. All autistics are unique just all NTs are unique. I tutor autistic students and are around them quite a lot so I understand the disability. As posters on this forum are fond of saying, if you've met one autistic or NT, then you have met one autistic or NT. Please don't attempt to be condescending or to invalidate or marginalize my insight, experience, opinion or view same as a personal attack on you or autistics in general. It has nothing to do with you other than you are also coincidentally autistic so pleased drop the defensive posture and try to absorb what I'm saying from my perspective, just as autistics demand NTs see the world from their viewpoint. This life is a two-way street for all of us. I frequently read vicious detailed attacks on NTs by autistics on this website and other such forums. The bottom line is this: I have a SIL who has long lied about her status as an autistic (so no one could understand WHY she acts as she does or have much incentive to deal with her), and who refuses to seek help for her autism while willfully ignoring her psychiatrist's advice to take her prescribed medications for her autism and bi-polar disorders. As a consequence, her behavior is virtually intolerable to those of us whom she demands do every damned thing for her regardless of our age, financial status, health and other significant commitments in our lives, while we tolerate her abusive conduct and public attacks on us for never living up to HER expectations of what SHE thinks she deserves from us. She is an incompetent single parent of a profoundly non-speaking autistic young man who desperately needs his NT family to help him because her family long ago dropped all contact with her due to her behavior as described above. If her autistic family, which presumably understands all about autism, refuses to deal with her, then why should we? This is life with her from OUR NT view and our view is just as important as her autistic view. I have no idea whether she participates on this website. As far as I know, her main internet usage is Match.com and other dating sites to find another man to take care of her. She's getting old now, no longer physically attractive, so her chances of getting another man to completely support her and do everything for her are growing slim. Hence, she is increasing her demands on us to do everything for her. I feel sorry for her but worry a whole lot more about my nephew. God help him. What do you suggest I do for HIM in these circumstances? Maybe the best thing to do is to report her to the Department of Human Services for abuse and neglect of a vulnerable adult (her son) and let the State investigate her and maybe remove him from her home. Would that be a good approach to this problem? Thanking you in advance for your compassion for our family's plight with her and your insightful advice on how to help my nephew.

just as autistics demand NTs see the world from their viewpoint.

I personally haven't and wouldn't 'demand' that any NT see the world from my viewpoint. They can't and even if they could, even a little bit, I wouldn't demand it of them.

I tutor autistic students and are around them quite a lot so I understand the disability.

What exactly do you mean by "understand" here?

I frequently read detailed attacks on NTs by autistics on this website and other such forums.

No, you don't.

I'd respond to your #NotAllNeurotypicals with a #YesAllAutistics, but it feels so clichéd. If you understand our disability, how come you don't understand that?

Well, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about what I have read here, and whether or not I understand what autism is and how it affects many autistics and their relationships with other people. I'm using the word "understand" consistent with the standard dictionary definition of the word with which I'm sure you are familiar, too. I have no idea what your reference to hash tags is about. I have no hash tags. At any rate, do you have any suggestions for how I can help my nephew in this situation or do you just want to attack me?

As long as you accuse me of attacking you, I don't really feel like helping you.

As it happens, I think you should ask your nephew what he wants. If you truly want to know you might want to avoid leading questions. Ask: "do you want to live in your mother's house?" rather than "why would you want to live with that woman?" Even if he is nonverbal he can reply to yes or no questions more easily than why and how questions. Maybe you could slip the mother a mindfulness book or something – even if she throws it at the wall she might pick it up again later. Anything that can teach her to deal with stress.

I can tell you from personal experience that scolding, yelling and criticizing is the wrong way to help someone deal with stress. Still, my mother swears to it. It has never once worked.

Thank you for answering me, Yiva. I am not accusing you of attacking me. I asked if that is what you want to do instead of helping me with my nephew because your earlier response was so negative to me. I recently asked my nephew if he would like to come live with me and his uncle/my husband. Although he is virtually non-verbal, he joyously lit up like a Christmas tree and said yes, yes, yes!! all excited about the prospect. I then felt awful for putting that idea in his head because he cannot come live with me because his mother would never allow it. She would never give him up because she uses him to manipulate or attempt to manipulate us into taking care of her every need and expectation. She tries to lay a guilt trip on us about her "poor son" and her burden with her "poor son" to justify her demands. If one of our family, or a neighbor, or a church member declines, for whatever reason, to respond to her endless demands for help with everything in life, then she gets on Facebook to publicly defame that person for refusing to help her son, or for being "mean" to her, for being cruel godless creatures, etc. It is beyond exhausting and I don't want to do it anymore for the sake of my own health and welfare. Do you see anything I can do to help my nephew short of reporting her to state authorities? I'd hate to do that but if something doesn't resolve soon with her, I may have no other option, because I am going to take care of my nephew to the best of my ability till the day I die. At this point, government intervention may be the best and really only course of action because I can no longer stand trying to deal with her. Are there any alternatives to that drastic scenario?

The discussion has veered from the topic
and is devolving into members making negative
remarks about each other.

If this trend continues, the thread will be Locked
and no further replies will be possible.

Please be civil & humane while discussing
the topic.

Thank you for the caution. Mutual respect and civil discourse can go a long way to improving everyone's lives.

Mary since you still seem to want our advice, if you really want to help your nephew then quit going on and on about everything you think is wrong with your sister in law. She is his mother and that is certainly not going to help him. You and this woman do have at least one thing in common, you both love your nephew and do want what is best for him. It is possible neither of you truly know what that is. I can tell you though that hating her or reporting her is not going to help him. Just because someone isn't a great parent and you don't agree with their parenting gives you no right to report her for abuse unless he is truly being abused. If she beats him or doesn't feed him then go ahead and report her, but what it seems like is that she wants to protect him, he is her baby. She may not be doing what is best but there are other approaches. Do you have kids Mary? If you do I'm sure you can relate that when someone is trying to just tell you your a bad mom or doing it wrong it doesn't make you want to take their advice. I've been there and when someone comes off rude and imposing their parenting views on me I want to tell them to shove it. People take advice from friends who they ask for help. Maybe you could find some way for you both to educate yourselves about helping your nephew together. Seems when my husband and I disagree about how to handle our son that it helps to stop arguing who is right and find some information based on actual research or something. It would probably be the best thing to reach out even when that is not what you want to do and try to find some common ground with your sis in law. Please no more posts bashing your sister in law. It is uncomfortable to read and is what made me react to you the way I did. As you don't want to be attacked, I don't want to sit here and read your long ranting attack on her. I quite frankly don't want to know each and every reason why you hate her and justify it. It is none of my business and is just gossip about someone who I don't even know. I also think it is counterproductive and you are getting in your own way of helping your nephew doing that. Try to level with your sister in law, you may not have the same problems but we all certainly have problems. Problems are never solved by acting out of hatred or spite. And in case your thinking it already, SHE is not the problem. She needs solutions to her problems as you do.

@Mary Terry , I don't know what is going on with your situation, but have read a bit of your exchange.

Oh, there's one other thing - she also confided to me that she is diagnosed with full blown bi-polar disorder but refuses to take her medications because she "doesn't feel like herself" or she "can't sleep" or she gets "upset stomach" or whatever the excuse de jure may be.

I can tell you that I know several people who have taken medication for mental disorders, and all of those who continue to do so are NOT taking the medications that they were first prescribed, most of the time the medications make things worse. They do exactly make you feel 'not yourself' most of the time, in fact changing how you think and feel is the entire point of them. I have tried medication for depression, and it made it worse, in fact the literature that came with the prescription warned that it can make the patient suicidal. If the person doesn't want to take the medication it would be cruel and unusual punishment to force them to do so. You seem to make light of her saying that the meds make her feel 'not herself'. If you do indeed make light of that, you should know that you're way, way off base. It sounds like you don't always accept her reasons for acting as she does, if her reason 'I don't feel like myself' has been refused, you might actually expect her to give you an 'excuse de jure' instead. You cannot expect a person who is continually misunderstood to be consistent in their communication, as only a fool does the same thing repeatedly and expects a different result.

New Threads

Top Bottom