• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I get a degree?

I understand. I was in and out of school until ending up at a large Ivy league school that let me in. There, the drop period for classes was longer than at many other schools. I shopped heavily for teachers. After dropping calculus multiple times, I found the professor I could understand. I knew I was in the right class when he was doing a problem and stopped and mentioned that he was terrible at arithmetic. I then got As in calculus classes. Ditto physics. Etc. Since you are 30, try to approach a very good school's adult program. Even Harvard has an extension school. Explain what you are capable of and see if you can start for credit without necessarily (yet) being on degree track status. And shop for classes.

I am pretty sure I would have failed out of community college, but graduated summa cum laude from an ivy. We are kinda weird that way.

Sound advice. In one particular semester, I had mistakenly been registered in a "Fundamentals of Transmission Line Theory" course. It was a grad-level course for engineering majors. Prerequisites included lots of calculus, physics, and programming. It was the only class I passed that year. I even told the teacher I didn't have any prerequisites, not one, but I was willing to learn. Part of the end project was to build a uhf antenna that had certain gain requirements, with all of the charting and calculations for the antenna.

It was probably the most fascinating thing a college has ever given me to work at. There was good questions about EM propagation, triangulating signals, smith charts, and how wave forms behaved. Good solid math that is fun to do and answers a question. He took the time to describe waveforms, explained calculus problems, and reviewed my notes.

Introduction to Art History, on the other hand, was impossible to learn. Artists love to assign all of these arbitrary labels to random shapes that ALREADY have names. The label columns, pieces of doorways, different kinds of pencil marks, and tons of utterly useless information. Anyone can give arbitrary labels to random things. Memorizing them was impossible, because none of them had any factual basis or quantitative value.

I was told that random splashing of paint on a canvas was a fantastic work, and how some of those pieces sell for millions! And that the splashes of paint were important because they conveyed the artist's rage.
1. I don't know who that painter is. I don't care how he feels.
2. Splashes of multicolored paint do not convey feelings. There has never been any article in any journal that supports the idea that emotions are telepathically transmitted from paint splashes.
3. Despite my critique, I inwardly hate myself. If randomly splashing paint on a bedsheet sells for millions of dollars, why am I wasting all my mental energy on things like P vs. NP?

Sound advice. In one particular semester, I had mistakenly been registered in a "Fundamentals of Transmission Line Theory" course. It was a grad-level course for engineering majors. Prerequisites included lots of calculus, physics, and programming. It was the only class I passed that year. I even told the teacher I didn't have any prerequisites, not one, but I was willing to learn. Part of the end project was to build a uhf antenna that had certain gain requirements, with all of the charting and calculations for the antenna.

It was probably the most fascinating thing a college has ever given me to work at. There was good questions about EM propagation, triangulating signals, smith charts, and how wave forms behaved. Good solid math that is fun to do and answers a question. He took the time to describe waveforms, explained calculus problems, and reviewed my notes.

Introduction to Art History, on the other hand, was impossible to learn. Artists love to assign all of these arbitrary labels to random shapes that ALREADY have names. The label columns, pieces of doorways, different kinds of pencil marks, and tons of utterly useless information. Anyone can give arbitrary labels to random things. Memorizing them was impossible, because none of them had any factual basis or quantitative value.

I was told that random splashing of paint on a canvas was a fantastic work, and how some of those pieces sell for millions! And that the splashes of paint were important because they conveyed the artist's rage.
1. I don't know who that painter is. I don't care how he feels.
2. Splashes of multicolored paint do not convey feelings. There has never been any article in any journal that supports the idea that emotions are telepathically transmitted from paint splashes.
3. Despite my critique, I inwardly hate myself. If randomly splashing paint on a bedsheet sells for millions of dollars, why am I wasting all my mental energy on things like P vs. NP?
Ha. Yep. I too took science and math classes with no pre-requisites. Like Chemistry in one of the toughest depts in the US with no high school chemistry.

Why does that work for us? We often learn best by being *inside* a problem. And working our way out, reaching for the laws and formulas as we go. We can solve the problem in our mind and just need a way to describe it to others.

I dropped an art history class. It was too odd. I did enjoy some liberal arts and art. I have art abilities. But I, too, cannot describe the appeal of paint splatters. My mind goes to the idea of mathematically modeling abstract art and trying to identify and predict "appeal." What pattern of splatter can predict appeal? I would be thinking of a quant project out of that. Then you could program a 3D printer to run the "appealing splatter algorithm" and sell them.

I used to play around a bit in some of the liberal arts classes. I imagined myself in a Saturday Night Live skit set in a classroom and would see what I could make up in the way of funny analysis of the readings. I realized you could make up almost anything if you could create something akin to a geometric theorem and proof with the qualitative analysis, in lit classes. Anthropology classes had more logic. Especially ones that study language and complex meaning. History was about understanding how everyone thought in various periods, with lots of facts and events to chart the effects of this thinking.

Because I had a certain interest in the 1930s, I fulfilled requirements in a few classes that had that theme. A large university that also has flexible class choice and drop periods really helps in that way.

Play to your strengths AND interests. I have a strong ability to draw, but critiques I got and what faculty observed is that I will not work on something that does not hold interest. I would slow way down and be drawing soooo slowly and technically if I was not interested. What could I draw readily? Anatomical stuff. Especially skull models, bones, etc. Maybe I should have opened an annual pop-up Halloween art gallery. :p

I don't believe this is strictly a case of the teacher or tutor wanting to force you to conform to their own way of approaching a specific task, what this is often actually about, is that when the work or tasks you have done is submitted or sent away to be marked, the course itself requires you to have done it a specific way

I do know exactly what you are refering to it can be frustrating because your own way feels (and probably is) more efficient

Online college sounds like it's your ticket. It was mine. Fortunately, when you're limited to text, they tend to make sure things are way more specific and concise. The instructors stay out of the way and let the material do the teaching for the most part. Your debates are with other students, and that is strongly encouraged. You don't have to socialize one bit, all the discussion centers around the scholastic topic at hand. And being long winded comes in handy when you're typing up 1500+ word papers. Plus you have plenty of time to do independent research. Just as long as you don't get so deep you run out of time to get through the rest of your required study...

As for college algebra, my only solution ended up being a program called Algebra Solved. You plug in the problem, and it works it out step by step and explains every tiny aspect of the work involved. Helps a lot to have it all broken down like that. And as naughty as this is... if you still don't get it... well, the program just gave you the work and the answer if you get my gist...

I'm embarrassed to post this, but I'm nearing 30 years old and I have no degree. I've been to four colleges and the same thing happens every time. I fail.

I've been desperately searching for any method in which I can get a degree. I do work, and have 1.5 jobs. But I think I could earn more money with a degree.

My main problem is that I can't quite translate what the teacher is telling me to do. I can interpret what they say literally, which would result in complete chaos. Or I could try to guess using cues from other students. For things like psychology, history, I do really well. I can reference materials, use my current knowledge, and lots of other resources.

For mathematics, it just doesn't work. They always want a problem solved THEIR way, and the solution expressed in their own specific way, without any explanation or defining the system. I can't get around introductory algebra at the college level, which infuriates me, because I know calculus and enjoy geometry.

Another problem I have is that teachers are quite often wrong. I had a long discussion with an astronomy teacher regarding the Mean Free Path that photons take in a star. I argued that their calculation was incorrect and didn't account for convection in the plasma. There are a million other examples where I'm RIGHT....but still wrong in their eyes. In some aspects, it is like learning math and science all over again.

"Express your answer in decimal form and round to the...." I'm sorry? Why are we approximating? An approximation is not the exact answer, therefore it is wrong. Why do I round? Is there some sort of placeholder limitation? Is there an aspect to the equation everyone else knows that I don't?

"Show your work." Why? You want me to draw a number line to express why 3^6 is 729? Even if it is right, I'm not right unless I explain it? In my work, would you like a proof?

"That isn't the answer we are looking for." Because your limited understanding of science doesn't allow for the correct solution. You take your eleven year old text book as truth, and refuse to explore modern knowledge. Why should I respect anything you say, or expect it to hold value, when you obviously don't investigate what you read? Further more, on your tests, would you like me to put the correct answer as option "E", and circle it? Or should I just regurgitate the same nonsense you've taught for sixty years?

I had to rant a little, sorry. Obviously I have a problem that works as a roadblock to getting a degree. Ideally I'd love to do engineering or astrophysics, but I have the worst time trying to interpret the experience. Anytime I'm 100% sure I've taken the most logical step, followed the most efficient calculation, I get red pen marks all over my paper and a failing grade.

What's interesting is I talked a friend into trying out online courses after he had been going to a traditional college for a year. He dropped out quickly, complaining it was WAY more work than traditional college was! And I had thought the entire time that it was EASIER! Ha.
That's how I finished. I completed a lot of coursework, but never got a degree. I checked several online schools and found that my credits were transferable, so I was able to finish by taking a few online courses. Some people ridicule online degrees, but I had to complete work to EARN the degrees; that includes a 99-page thesis. If they realized I have a Non Verbal Learning Disorder, they might appreciate the accomplishment. However, the ridicule is coming from those that haven't even stepped foot in a classroom.

I think online education is wonderful, especially for people like myself that have difficulty learning in a traditional setting. The way I see it, education is education. Any type of learning is not waste of time.

I found it easier since I didn't have to keep up with an instructor or some set agenda. I was able to follow my own schedule and learn at my own pace and method.

Exactly. People who are self-motivated, independent learners probably tend to find online courses easier. Students who rely on spoon-feeding from the professor would tend to find it more difficult. Then there is the difference in learning style to consider: people who learn well by reading and/or have multi-tasking and auditory processing issues that make the lecture + note-taking format difficult to manage, would also prefer online classes. And there's probably an introverted vs. extroverted personality component as well.

I actually like in-person courses as long as the instructor is highly knowledgeable and the class size is small enough to allow for in-depth questions (and I'm interested in the topic).

I've also done online, and enjoyed that as well. It was very project-oriented, which can be fulfilling.

Having just graduated from college, I have to agree about the jumping through hoops thing. But I do tend to disagree a bit with the idea that it's never too late. The reality is, yes, sometimes it CAN be too late. It is for me.

After I got my degree I had a long and candid talk with a career counselor in the Student Success Center. To summarize, because I am nearly 60 years old and already well-established in my job (over 30 years experience), there is nothing that this degree will do for me that I have not already achieved on my own. It is much like the diploma the Wizard gave the Scarecrow, all it does is tell other people that I have a brain and have spent so many hours in a classroom taking so many courses. It impresses people. What it has not done and will not do is increase my income or give me any significant new career opportunities. The counselor was frank, there is no way I could make the money I make now starting out anew somewhere else. My best bet is to stay on doing what I have been doing for the last 30 years and then retire.

Unless I missed something somewhere, I don't see anywhere where you have stated WHY you are going to college, and HOW you are paying for it. Those are two very big questions that you need to look into yourself to answer, especially the WHY. College is an enormously expensive gamble which may or may not pay off. And for some people it doesn't and they end up getting suckered into the degree trap. What I mean is this, you start off with an Associates Degree (2 year) like I have only to find that if you REALLY want to get into the good jobs, you need to go to a four year college. What no one will tell you is that your Associates is basically a glorified high school diploma. It opens slightly more doors than a high school diploma, but, you will find, it is not enough, you have to have a Bachelors. So you go into debt, get your B.S. or B.A.. Now you find that Masters is where the action is. So it's back to school and more debt. The ultimate is a Ph.D. Do you see where I am going with this? You can spend your whole life in school and still feel like you haven't reached your goal, only now you have $100,000 or more of debt hanging over your head. This is why I have no intention of going on educationally. In my situation it makes absolutely no sense to go for a higher degree. And this is what the counselor said to me.

Now let's talk about age. You are in your 30's so you still have time. But not much. Age discrimination is supposedly illegal, but look around. Given the choice between a college grad in his or her 50's, or one in their 20's, the vast majority of employers will choose the 20 year old hands-down every time. It's not talked about much, but look around. I personally do not know anyone my age who is just starting out in their field with a college degree. You are going to have a hard sell the older you get, and to throw on Aspergers as well?

Yes, I did finally get my degree. And in that respect it isn't too late, if all you want is a piece of paper to hang on the wall. But if you are looking for that piece of paper to work some magic and transform your life, think again. College may not be the place for you.

I'm embarrassed to post this, but I'm nearing 30 years old and I have no degree. I've been to four colleges and the same thing happens every time. I fail.

I've been desperately searching for any method in which I can get a degree. I do work, and have 1.5 jobs. But I think I could earn more money with a degree.

My main problem is that I can't quite translate what the teacher is telling me to do. I can interpret what they say literally, which would result in complete chaos. Or I could try to guess using cues from other students. For things like psychology, history, I do really well. I can reference materials, use my current knowledge, and lots of other resources.

For mathematics, it just doesn't work. They always want a problem solved THEIR way, and the solution expressed in their own specific way, without any explanation or defining the system. I can't get around introductory algebra at the college level, which infuriates me, because I know calculus and enjoy geometry.

Another problem I have is that teachers are quite often wrong. I had a long discussion with an astronomy teacher regarding the Mean Free Path that photons take in a star. I argued that their calculation was incorrect and didn't account for convection in the plasma. There are a million other examples where I'm RIGHT....but still wrong in their eyes. In some aspects, it is like learning math and science all over again.

"Express your answer in decimal form and round to the...." I'm sorry? Why are we approximating? An approximation is not the exact answer, therefore it is wrong. Why do I round? Is there some sort of placeholder limitation? Is there an aspect to the equation everyone else knows that I don't?

"Show your work." Why? You want me to draw a number line to express why 3^6 is 729? Even if it is right, I'm not right unless I explain it? In my work, would you like a proof?

"That isn't the answer we are looking for." Because your limited understanding of science doesn't allow for the correct solution. You take your eleven year old text book as truth, and refuse to explore modern knowledge. Why should I respect anything you say, or expect it to hold value, when you obviously don't investigate what you read? Further more, on your tests, would you like me to put the correct answer as option "E", and circle it? Or should I just regurgitate the same nonsense you've taught for sixty years?

I had to rant a little, sorry. Obviously I have a problem that works as a roadblock to getting a degree. Ideally I'd love to do engineering or astrophysics, but I have the worst time trying to interpret the experience. Anytime I'm 100% sure I've taken the most logical step, followed the most efficient calculation, I get red pen marks all over my paper and a failing grade.
Wooow it sounds almost identical to me, nothing to add.

College is a game. Play game, get score. It makes no sense to me why Mario keeps banging his head into blocks, but it gets me stars and mushrooms, so I assume I'm not giving him severe brain damage. However wrong, outdated, or whatever frustrating thing college is currently doing, I always reminded myself that it was just a game. And besides, college doesn't prepare you for reality. It's just a dumb hoop you have to jump through to get to the good stuff. Like collecting all the coins on a certain level of a game to unlock the really fun level, or finding that trick switch to swing open the bookcase.

"Showing your work" is a huge nuisance, especially when half the calculations are in your head, but instructors like to pinpoint exactly where you go wrong in an equation so they can fix that part and you can get it right in future problems. Which is logical, if everything is functioning well but one little area, it's good to know what component you need to replace so you can get on with your work. As for "their way", how stubborn are you? I'd often present the answer in both their way and mine to prove there isn't just one method.

I prefer the online courses because I can read everything without listening to talking (and brilliant questions like "where'd the two come from" in problems like 14/7 in a pre-calc class), but, their websites for online courses are pathetic and my sister nearly failed a class because they had the site so ridiculously locked down "to prevent cheating" that she couldn't even take the her midterms and finals on the campus computers! And of course you know that if you ace the entire course, you will be failed if you can't take one stupid test. Aside from poor security methods, my other dislike is that online courses are not truly online. They're hybrid. You do most of the work online, and still go to campus for random crap. When I couldn't afford a four hour drive for one ridiculous 15-minute thing that could have easily been done online and all the other times couldn't go for ridiculous 15-minute things that could have easily been done online because infants aren't allowed on campus and I didn't have a babysitter, they took it out on my grades, and I had enough and dropped out. Forget the discrimination against Aspies in things like speech class, college royally hates parents! I dropped out and probably won't go back except for specific courses I want to take.

But I'm self-employed and a good researcher, I don't need a degree. I study what I need and go about my job. (You can get college info on whatever you want from places like Textbooks.com anyway.) The only normal jobs I want to work is minimum wage stuff that thankfully don't require a degree (just an ability to pass those horrid online questionnaires). I do enjoy being a cashier, love being a stocker, and someday I intend to work at a greenhouse and a floral shop. =)

New Threads

Top Bottom