• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I get a degree?

Levinus

I'm embarrassed to post this, but I'm nearing 30 years old and I have no degree. I've been to four colleges and the same thing happens every time. I fail.

I've been desperately searching for any method in which I can get a degree. I do work, and have 1.5 jobs. But I think I could earn more money with a degree.

My main problem is that I can't quite translate what the teacher is telling me to do. I can interpret what they say literally, which would result in complete chaos. Or I could try to guess using cues from other students. For things like psychology, history, I do really well. I can reference materials, use my current knowledge, and lots of other resources.

For mathematics, it just doesn't work. They always want a problem solved THEIR way, and the solution expressed in their own specific way, without any explanation or defining the system. I can't get around introductory algebra at the college level, which infuriates me, because I know calculus and enjoy geometry.

Another problem I have is that teachers are quite often wrong. I had a long discussion with an astronomy teacher regarding the Mean Free Path that photons take in a star. I argued that their calculation was incorrect and didn't account for convection in the plasma. There are a million other examples where I'm RIGHT....but still wrong in their eyes. In some aspects, it is like learning math and science all over again.

"Express your answer in decimal form and round to the...." I'm sorry? Why are we approximating? An approximation is not the exact answer, therefore it is wrong. Why do I round? Is there some sort of placeholder limitation? Is there an aspect to the equation everyone else knows that I don't?

"Show your work." Why? You want me to draw a number line to express why 3^6 is 729? Even if it is right, I'm not right unless I explain it? In my work, would you like a proof?

"That isn't the answer we are looking for." Because your limited understanding of science doesn't allow for the correct solution. You take your eleven year old text book as truth, and refuse to explore modern knowledge. Why should I respect anything you say, or expect it to hold value, when you obviously don't investigate what you read? Further more, on your tests, would you like me to put the correct answer as option "E", and circle it? Or should I just regurgitate the same nonsense you've taught for sixty years?

I had to rant a little, sorry. Obviously I have a problem that works as a roadblock to getting a degree. Ideally I'd love to do engineering or astrophysics, but I have the worst time trying to interpret the experience. Anytime I'm 100% sure I've taken the most logical step, followed the most efficient calculation, I get red pen marks all over my paper and a failing grade.

I'm embarrassed to post this, but I'm nearing 30 years old and I have no degree. I've been to four colleges and the same thing happens every time. I fail.

I may not answer your question the way it was to be, but dont ever feel embarrassed for that, people have they own motive and no one has the right to make fun or criticise that. About Your age, its never late to learn, you're keeping trying and that's awesome.

And yes, it can be very difficult when the teacher tell you one thing and you or can't understand what exactly he want you to do or when the teacher tell you one thing and you take that literally.
In my case i cant take all the teacher say, all turn into a blur and fade in my head. When i cant understand or get confused i always ask a friend to translate for me, so to speak.

I graduated from college last summer, a year later than intended. The delay was the result of a depressive episode I had a few years ago. I suppose it's worth mentioning that my ASD diagnosis came out of that. So . . . silver lining? I didn't fail out of school, but I had to switch to a place closer to home so I could take care of myself. Anyway, here are some tips:

Another problem I have is that teachers are quite often wrong. I had a long discussion with an astronomy teacher regarding the Mean Free Path that photons take in a star. I argued that their calculation was incorrect and didn't account for convection in the plasma. There are a million other examples where I'm RIGHT....but still wrong in their eyes. In some aspects, it is like learning math and science all over again.
You can argue about stuff like this all day, but honestly, you need to learn to give the teachers what they want first and worry about the rest later. I know it's not fair, but it's important to pick your battles.

"Express your answer in decimal form and round to the...." I'm sorry? Why are we approximating? An approximation is not the exact answer, therefore it is wrong. Why do I round? Is there some sort of placeholder limitation? Is there an aspect to the equation everyone else knows that I don't?
It's not the exact answer, but it's often the answer that will be accepted. Let the fact that you know the exact answer be your consolation, round as necessary, and move on.

"Show your work." Why? You want me to draw a number line to express why 3^6 is 729? Even if it is right, I'm not right unless I explain it? In my work, would you like a proof?
I think this goes back to needing to show that you know how to solve an equation and demonstrating that you didn't just copy an answer from somebody.

Anytime I'm 100% sure I've taken the most logical step, followed the most efficient calculation, I get red pen marks all over my paper and a failing grade.
I've encountered this too. If you're in doubt about what kind of process your teacher wants to see, ask. (And try not to be condescending about it---at least not aloud. That won't do you any favors.)

I graduated from college last summer, a year later than intended. The delay was the result of a depressive episode I had a few years ago. I suppose it's worth mentioning that my ASD diagnosis came out of that. So . . . silver lining? I didn't fail out of school, but I had to switch to a place closer to home so I could take care of myself. Anyway, here are some tips:

You can argue about stuff like this all day, but honestly, you need to learn to give the teachers what they want first and worry about the rest later. I know it's not fair, but it's important to pick your battles.

It's not the exact answer, but it's often the answer that will be accepted. Let the fact that you know the exact answer be your consolation, round as necessary, and move on.

I think this goes back to needing to show that you know how to solve an equation and demonstrating that you didn't just copy an answer from somebody.

I've encountered this too. If you're in doubt about what kind of process your teacher wants to see, ask. (And try not to be condescending about it---at least not aloud. That won't do you any favors.)

You are understanding. Other people have said to "pick my battles." But if a point of academic interest can't be made in an institution of higher learning...where can it be made? If the progress of knowledge can't be done at the university level....where can it be done? Factual accuracy is almost an OCD for me. I get quite anxious and upset about it. That extends to the rounding of numbers. The equivalent is abruptly shortening my sen....... Which can get really a....... If letters are what ma....... See what I.....?

As for copying stuff, sometimes I AM copying. For one, the 3^6 =729, I have a specific memory of that calculation being done when I was twelve. I just never forgot the answer. So I'm not logically going through the calculation, I just remember it from last time. Except that a LOT of numbers and solutions fall under that category. Then I tend to use patterns in numbers to "relearn" the method. I'm doing the math, just backwards. Unfortunately, for things like 423*11, teachers like to see you multiply it out. I'm ashamed to say, even now, I'm not 100% on how to do that. I know the answer is 4653, but that is only because I like the number 1 and know how it works with other numbers. People have tried to explain it to me, how you multiply 423 by one. Then do it again, but kinda off to the side (still not sure why). Then write a zero. Then add.

To me, each number gives me a sort of feeling/picture in my head. Each picture and feeling can change depending on how I use the numbers. At the risk of sounding completely insane, the number #6 shows me a movie in my head of a Galton box, with a feeling that means "wave" like ocean wave. I don't know why it does that. But those two things together mean six. And six means those things. 4 means quadrilaterals, obviously. But has the picture of a parking lot, and the feeling of "rigid/structure". Ten is like holding two baskets full of something, with a feeling like "autumn". You can see how even explaining addition is a problem. Galton Box + Parking Lot = Autumn Harvest?

I think the solution to all of this is just really practice math the way healthy people do. But it is really...really hard.

But if a point of academic interest can't be made in an institution of higher learning...where can it be made? If the progress of knowledge can't be done at the university level....where can it be done? Factual accuracy is almost an OCD for me. I get quite anxious and upset about it.
I get that, and agree that you should be able to make such points, but save them for the lectures, where you can account for as many decimal places as you would like in your notes. (I would then write down the "expected answer" next to it, just so you know what to use later.)

The bottom line is that the college gives out the degrees and if you want their degree you MUST play by their rules.
Yes it is annoying but you have to comply to their standards, no matter what you think about them.

If they say round the answer in such a way and you give the exact answer then you fail. Plain & Simple !

If they say "show your working" then you have to do just that.

I appreciate that it seems a silly way of doing things but in the end you gotta give them what they want or they won't give you
what YOU want (your degree)

If you have problems with OCD perhaps you could bring that up before the college authorities but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I think speaking to the folks at a college's office for disability services would help, actually.

Maybe you might do better at online distance education? Check out Nova Southeastern University. They are very friendly towards people with disabilities. I'm in masters program entirely online with them.

I'm retaking statistics for the second time still trying to get my BSN (Bull Sh*t Nurse is probably what it really means cause its not going to help me do my job any better! Am I going to be doing CPR on someone while yelling out the probability of them surviving??? Whatever!!!) Never had to retake a class in my life until now, but I'm just not understanding statistics. What drives me crazy is there really isn't much math in the course - a little adding, multiplying, dividing, wth? I learned all that in elementary. So what's my problem now?!! You know, I think socializing is overrated - I'd gladly give up any social life if I could whiz through any kind of math. I did great all the way up to college algebra, but to do well in college algebra I had to eat, sleep and breathe it (and send my professor 224 emails! :p ) I'm going to have to call up my tutor too. He'll probably say something like "You again?" :rolleyes: (Heavy sigh)
All I really want to do is cry. :(

Don't give up Angela. I think you're suffering from "wood for trees" syndrome. You need to stop, rest and then step back and look at it again from a distance.

Getting a degree basically just means you jumped through a million annoying hoops. So, I recommend just jumping them. Yeah, I know the feeling when your instructor has no idea what he/she is talking about. Super annoying. However, it's sadly not meant to be actually correct. It's meant to be their best guess, and your ability to jump through the hoops they present. It's just a game really...

I already have a masters, and am considering getting my PhD. I am torn because if I get a PhD directly in my field, I will be bored and irritated by the lack of learning. I am thus considering getting it in a related but different field so that I can actually learn something, although the degree will actually be less helpful. If we were all Aspies, school would be so interesting.

Don't give up Angela. I think you're suffering from "wood for trees" syndrome. You need to stop, rest and then step back and look at it again from a distance.

Thank you very much, Steph, for the encouraging words. Any ideas of why I had a problem with stats while doing well in algebra? Any pointers of how I can do better? I have all the stat DVDs from the Math Tutor series with that Jason Gibson guy which I'm going through all if them now. I have a tutor for algebra, but can a tutor really help with statistics? I know in the beginning I didn't take it seriously enough. Is it harder than I took it to be? (I guess it must be if you need college algebra as a prerequisite.) I'm thankful for any help you can give me.)

I'm retaking statistics for the second time still trying to get my BSN (Bull Sh*t Nurse is probably what it really means cause its not going to help me do my job any better! Am I going to be doing CPR on someone while yelling out the probability of them surviving??? Whatever!!!) Never had to retake a class in my life until now, but I'm just not understanding statistics. What drives me crazy is there really isn't much math in the course - a little adding, multiplying, dividing, wth? I learned all that in elementary. So what's my problem now?!! You know, I think socializing is overrated - I'd gladly give up any social life if I could whiz through any kind of math. I did great all the way up to college algebra, but to do well in college algebra I had to eat, sleep and breathe it (and send my professor 224 emails! :p ) I'm going to have to call up my tutor too. He'll probably say something like "You again?" :rolleyes: (Heavy sigh)
All I really want to do is cry. :(
"Bull Sh*t Nurse" LOL. I hated statistics, I mean absolutely hated it. And my professor was a *****. I remember a lot of students weren't doing too well in that class. It's just one of those subjects that's too difficult for many ppl. And I agree that it doesn't consist of math. I remember thinking where the hell is the math??? This is like a fraction of math hidden under a bunch of stupid ass theorems and what not. I passed with a C. Not the best but I didn't care. I was so glad to be done with that class.

You cracked me up! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Thing is I was making a C, but the class was only graded on tests and quizzes and I had just taken a quiz after getting something like the flu and I was running a temp (I just wanted to take the test and go to bed). I ended up being sick for 3 days and just knew I had not done well on the quiz. That's when I decided to pull out of the class with a "w" instead of possibly getting a lower grade that would bring down my GPA. I just knew I couldn't get my grade up by making better grades on the tests and quizzes that were left. I found that stats is a class that builds on the info in the chapters before and honestly I didn't put my "all" into the class at the start. I think I was burned out from college algebra. What bothers me is that I was one of three people making a C and the rest of the class were making B's and A's - the professor posted the grades. I was so embarrassed even though no one knew who "the three" were. I still remember how stressful college algebra was for me (I was crying all the time, my IBS flared up really bad to where I couldn't eat.) I just don't want to go through that again. But if I want the same grade, it looks like it might have to happen again. I'm really worried already and I'm not even in the class yet. I keep talking about it because it upsets me, but I have test anxiety too. It happened in college algebra and in this class - the test is put in front of me and my mind goes totally blank. My Ma gave me some of her ativans and they didn't even work. I had to make sure I didn't take too much to where I'd be too tired to concentrate. I have to think about the positives. The class this time will be on Tue and Thur (the last one was on Mon and Wed - I was just too tired on Mon after working all night). This class will only have 15 students where the other had 30. I'm hoping I'll get more personal attention. We'll see, I guess. I know I'll be doing a lot of praying. :)

"Bull Sh*t Nurse" LOL. I hated statistics, I mean absolutely hated it. And my professor was a *****. I remember a lot of students weren't doing too well in that class. It's just one of those subjects that's too difficult for many ppl. And I agree that it doesn't consist of math. I remember thinking where the hell is the math??? This is like a fraction of math hidden under a bunch of stupid ass theorems and what not. I passed with a C. Not the best but I didn't care. I was so glad to be done with that class.

I just forgot to quote you above. :rolleyes:
(It's late - or early depending on where you are.)

Wow that sounds awful. I hate trying to focus on school work when I'm not feeling well, much less take a test or quiz. Maybe you should look up some info or even youtube videos explaining easier ways to tackle stats so that you're armed with a little more knowledge and not so overwhelmed when you take the class. If you can remember what the problem areas were you can focus specially on those and help narrow down your search. That's what I do when I feel like I'm going to have some trouble with a subject. And I also remember feeling embarrassed when the grades were posted even though no one knew which student I.D.s belonged to anyone else. My class was a little different though because like one guy had an A a few ppl had a B and almost everyone else had a C or D. By the end if that semester soooo many ppl had dropped that class that it felt like a freakin ghost town. Lol. I'd walk in like ummmmm.....is there even class today, am I in the right room. Hahaha
You cracked me up! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Thing is I was making a C, but the class was only graded on tests and quizzes and I had just taken a quiz after getting something like the flu and I was running a temp (I just wanted to take the test and go to bed). I ended up being sick for 3 days and just knew I had not done well on the quiz. That's when I decided to pull out of the class with a "w" instead of possibly getting a lower grade that would bring down my GPA. I just knew I couldn't get my grade up by making better grades on the tests and quizzes that were left. I found that stats is a class that builds on the info in the chapters before and honestly I didn't put my "all" into the class at the start. I think I was burned out from college algebra. What bothers me is that I was one of three people making a C and the rest of the class were making B's and A's - the professor posted the grades. I was so embarrassed even though no one knew who "the three" were. I still remember how stressful college algebra was for me (I was crying all the time, my IBS flared up really bad to where I couldn't eat.) I just don't want to go through that again. But if I want the same grade, it looks like it might have to happen again. I'm really worried already and I'm not even in the class yet. I keep talking about it because it upsets me, but I have test anxiety too. It happened in college algebra and in this class - the test is put in front of me and my mind goes totally blank. My Ma gave me some of her ativans and they didn't even work. I had to make sure I didn't take too much to where I'd be too tired to concentrate. I have to think about the positives. The class this time will be on Tue and Thur (the last one was on Mon and Wed - I was just too tired on Mon after working all night). This class will only have 15 students where the other had 30. I'm hoping I'll get more personal attention. We'll see, I guess. I know I'll be doing a lot of praying. :)

I am 18 and might not go to college and I feel kind of bad too
Though education is important, you're still very young. I wouldn't worry or feel bad about not going to college. I guess it kind of depends on your reasoning. I went to college right after high school because I felt obligated to my family and I was afraid they'd be mad at me if I didn't go. I don't want to say it was a waste of time because I got English and several math classes out of the way (just recently put those credits to good use towards my A.S. degree since I finally went back to college a year ago) but I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life at the time and I took some pointless classes before I finally decided enough was enough after 2.5 years. My mom was upset but I didn't care. Just felt like it was time to stand up for myself. Now years later I'm working towards a career in the IT field. My point, do what feels right. If college isn't for you right now, take a break from education and explore other options. You can always come back to it.

Last edited:

I've been desperately searching for any method in which I can get a degree. I do work, and have 1.5 jobs. But I think I could earn more money with a degree.

My main problem is that I can't quite translate what the teacher is telling me to do. I can interpret what they say literally, which would result in complete chaos. Or I could try to guess using cues from other students. For things like psychology, history, I do really well. I can reference materials, use my current knowledge, and lots of other resources.

For mathematics, it just doesn't work. They always want a problem solved THEIR way, and the solution expressed in their own specific way, without any explanation or defining the system. I can't get around introductory algebra at the college level, which infuriates me, because I know calculus and enjoy geometry.

"That isn't the answer we are looking for." Because your limited understanding of science doesn't allow for the correct solution. You take your eleven year old text book as truth, and refuse to explore modern knowledge. Why should I respect anything you say, or expect it to hold value, when you obviously don't investigate what you read? Further more, on your tests, would you like me to put the correct answer as option "E", and circle it? Or should I just regurgitate the same nonsense you've taught for sixty years?

I had to rant a little, sorry. Obviously I have a problem that works as a roadblock to getting a degree. Ideally I'd love to do engineering or astrophysics, but I have the worst time trying to interpret the experience. Anytime I'm 100% sure I've taken the most logical step, followed the most efficient calculation, I get red pen marks all over my paper and a failing grade.
I understand. I was in and out of school until ending up at a large Ivy league school that let me in. There, the drop period for classes was longer than at many other schools. I shopped heavily for teachers. After dropping calculus multiple times, I found the professor I could understand. I knew I was in the right class when he was doing a problem and stopped and mentioned that he was terrible at arithmetic. I then got As in calculus classes. Ditto physics. Etc. Since you are 30, try to approach a very good school's adult program. Even Harvard has an extension school. Explain what you are capable of and see if you can start for credit without necessarily (yet) being on degree track status. And shop for classes.

I am pretty sure I would have failed out of community college, but graduated summa cum laude from an ivy. We are kinda weird that way.

My B.S. was in astrophysics. Based on my university experience, and the academic issues in your post, I would advise you to avoid it unless you are sure that you are ready to deal with years of frustration and really need or are dying to get the degree. As you've discovered already, attending school does not necessarily lead to learning, a good deal of regurgitation is indeed expected, and you seem like someone who would learn better by studying alone.

In fact, I have been meaning to make a post about how many people with Asperger's Syndrome seem to fall along the extremes of academic performance because they tend to have very individualized learning styles (which your personal mathematical patterns exemplify). If they can figure out how to make sense of course content according to their learning style, they excel; if they cannot (and the teacher often cannot help them), they perform poorly despite their apparent aptitude.

New Threads

Top Bottom