• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi

arpitavyas

Hi,
I am Arpita. I am mother of 9 year old autistic boy. His name is Anay. He is cool. I am trying to understand his life and giving him more comfort to live a better life.
I will continue to read and write on this forum.
Currently I am researching on caregiver/mothers life with autistic children. If anyone wants to join me in this journey. please email me on [email protected]

Thank you

1704125171365.png

Hello.

If you haven't already read them, two books which you may find interesting are:

The latter is written by autistic persons, which includes some who are also parents to autistic kids.

Hello and welcome. I hope you find what you are looking for here.

I guess I am an "autism mother" but I'm also an autist. I draw on my own awareness and experiences as an autist and the daughter and mother of autists. Ask me anything and I'll do all I can to help. I don't think I'm anything like any of the other autism mums though. I think I've been too disadvantaged to relate to much of where other women who identify as "autism mums" are at.

I read a book, when I was a young mum about a non verbal autist child who's mum read to them a lot and it helped. I did that. My older autist son wasn't non verbal, but he was developmentally delayed and speech delayed and had a speech impediment. He is still delayed, but he is in his early thirties now and doing quite well, regardless.

My youngest son is also on the spectrum, he is not intellectually delayed, quite the opposite, but he has struggled enormously with his mental health. He is eighteen and I think (and hope) that he is through the worst of it.

Both of these sons have been very intensively needy of my parenting and it doesn't end at them reaching adulthood. They are very, very, different, from each other, but both "cool" and both have needed enormous amounts of my care and energy, but, I also have 5 other children, as well

I'm not sure that other of my son's are not on the spectrum as well, but it's different and they have other issues overshadowing the ASD, if indeed that is underlying. They are definitely also neurodiverse.

Their dad is very against any "labelling" ( unless it is abusive one's towards me) so that is part of why my story is not like other "autism mums" and much disadvantaged.

Due to those two very needful-of-support sons I have a lot of personal experience that allows me to share it. I have been able to address these son's needs much more since I got away from their dad. It was an uphill battle while I was with him.

Last edited:
I guess I am an "autism mother" but I'm also an autist. I draw on my own awareness and experiences as an autist and the daughter and mother of autists. Ask me anything and I'll do all I can to help. I don't think I'm anything like any of the other autism mums though. I think I've been too disadvantaged to relate to much of where other women who identify as "autism mums" are at.
Maybe for another thread but can you elaborate on what you mean by "autism mums" in this context?

Maybe for another thread but can you elaborate on what you mean by "autism mums" in this context?
Sure. I've recently discovered that that is what very proactive mother's of autistic children are being called and calling themselves. But I'm using the Australian vernacular "mums", "moms" if one is American. It seems that the "autism mums" online community is as big a thing as the online "autism community".

Sure. I've recently discovered that that is what very proactive mother's of autistic children are being called and calling themselves. But I'm using the Australian vernacular "mums", "moms" if one is American. It seems that the "autism mums" online community is as big a thing as the online "autism community".
Ah, so you weren't talking about mothers to autistic children in general, nor autistic mothers in general :) thank you for the clarification :) as someone who don't have English as their mother language, it can be hard to remember the different versions of English for each country.

Ah, so you weren't talking about mothers to autistic children in general, nor autistic mothers in general :) thank you for the clarification :) as someone who don't have English as their mother language, it can be hard to remember the different versions of English for each country.
I was surprised to see that it's an identity in itself. I had no idea until the last couple of months. When I was raising my oldest autist son we were pre internet. It was years ago. I take it this "movement" is a more recent phenomena. There are memes about it, Tshirts, loads of books, yep, it's a big thing, but not so much a thing that autistic parents are into, more specifically a thing that allistic or non- autist parents of autistic children identify as.

I was surprised to see that it's an identity in itself. I had no idea until the last couple of months. When I was raising my oldest autist son we were pre internet. It was years ago. I take it this "movement" is a more recent phenomena. There are memes about it, Tshirts, loads of books, yep, it's a big thing, but not so much a thing that autistic parents are into, more specifically a thing that allistic or non- autist parents of autistic children identify as.
Thank you, actually I think I might have heard about it, but in a different context, something about them wearing "autistic" badges - and that is why there now are the "actual autistic" badges...

New Threads

Top Bottom