• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi I'm Mel W.

MelW

Hi I'm Mel.

Don’t know quite where to begin. I’m a 54-year-old woman living in the US, Pennsylvania right outside the city of Philadelphia. When I was about six years old I was diagnosed with learning disabilities after a failed attempt at a public school education in first grade. The so-called experts who tested me told my parents that I would never go to college, I would be lucky if I graduated high school and to treat me like I’m blind.

To make a long story short my parents ignored most of that and didn’t lower their expectations despite that very discouraging diagnosis. I’m a bit of this success story not only graduating from high school but I have a bachelors degree from a four-year university. I’ve had three fairly successful careers. I was a theatrical production assistant in my early 20s then a teacher assistant in special education classrooms for the multiply disabled. I still work with the MDS population now but as a massage therapist running my own business. I am happily married to my husband who I met in college. We’ve known each other for over 30 years and have been married for 22. We don’t have any children by choice.

I’ve done pretty well in my life but as you well know even with success when your Nerodivergent life still has its major struggles. Just a little before the pandemic I began to notice that my ability to navigate life’s obstacles was becoming increasingly more difficult. Also my anxiety level was beginning to increase in certain situations. I knew I had learning disabilities but while being out of work temporarily during the pandemic I started to explore what else could be going on. I always had a feeling that there was more than just dyslexia, or ADD. There are even some physical differences that I’ve recognized over the years.

When doing research online I discovered that people who had similar life experiences or symptoms to my own were all identifying themselves as on the spectrum. I kept saying to myself “but I’m not autistic.” Then after watching video after video and listening to some Ted talks it began to occur to me “hey maybe I am autistic after all.” I began to think back on certain events and interactions in my life and when hearing people tell their stories I began to connect the dots with the realization smacking me in the face. This discovery is both joyous and thrilling as well as paralyzing and confusing. The big question, where do I go from here?

I have always had a sensitivity to loud noises and after lots of research I discovered that it was most likely sensory processing disorder. With certain circumstances created by the pandemic my ability to deal with the anxiety that comes with SPD has weakened considerably. Also at 54 years old now like many women I am experiencing menopause and have discovered that other neuro- divergent women also going through menopause have also experienced various cracks in their coping abilities.

I have received counseling in the past, but now I’m really looking to find other people to talk to that have a special understanding of what I am going through. I haven’t been able to find the right resource close to where I live. This is why I’m pursuing your community. Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks, Mel.

Hello Mel, it’s nice to meet you! Thank you for sharing your story with us. In this forum, there are many who have similar stories just like yours. It can be hard sometimes to navigate through life with autism. I struggled so much with school and having to take special educational classes. I was very delayed and had a hard time relating to others. I’m also sensitive to loud noises. Alarm clocks can give me a big headache in the morning. I hope you enjoy your time here!

welcome to af.png

Hi I'm Mel.

Don’t know quite where to begin. I’m a 54-year-old woman living in the US, Pennsylvania right outside the city of Philadelphia. When I was about six years old I was diagnosed with learning disabilities after a failed attempt at a public school education in first grade. The so-called experts who tested me told my parents that I would never go to college, I would be lucky if I graduated high school and to treat me like I’m blind. To make a long story short my parents ignored most of that and didn’t lower their expectations despite that very discouraging diagnosis. I’m a bit of this success story not only graduating from high school but I have a bachelors degree from a four-year university. I’ve had three fairly successful careers. I was a theatrical production assistant in my early 20s then a teacher assistant in special education classrooms for the multiply disabled. I still work with the MDS population now but as a massage therapist running my own business. I am happily married to my husband who I met in college. We’ve known each other for over 30 years and have been married for 22. We don’t have any children by choice.

I’ve done pretty well in my life but as you well know even with success when your Nerodivergent life still has its major struggles. Just a little before the pandemic I began to notice that my ability to navigate life’s obstacles was becoming increasingly more difficult. Also my anxiety level was beginning to increase in certain situations. I knew I had learning disabilities but while being out of work temporarily during the pandemic I started to explore what else could be going on. I always had a feeling that there was more than just dyslexia, or ADD. There are even some physical differences that I’ve recognized over the years. When doing research online I discovered that people who had similar life experiences or symptoms to my own were all identifying themselves as on the spectrum. I kept saying to myself “but I’m not autistic.” Then after watching video after video and listening to some Ted talks it began to occur to me “hey maybe I am autistic after all.” I began to think back on certain events and interactions in my life and when hearing people tell their stories I began to connect the dots with the realization smacking me in the face. This discovery is both joyous and thrilling as well as paralyzing and confusing. The big question, where do I go from here?

I have always had a sensitivity to loud noises and after lots of research I discovered that it was most likely sensory processing disorder. With certain circumstances created by the pandemic my ability to deal with the anxiety that comes with SPD has weakened considerably. Also at 54 years old now like many women I am experiencing menopause and have discovered that other neuro- divergent women also going through menopause have also experienced various cracks in their coping abilities.

I have received counseling in the past, but now I’m really looking to find other people to talk to that have a special understanding of what I am going through. I haven’t been able to find the right resource close to where I live. This is why I’m pursuing your community. Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks, Mel.

I've yet to figure out why so-called experts are so-called, exactly. The last lady I dated, some ham-fist in a labcoat carved out a chunk of her brain (due to a tumor), and I suspect he didn't do such a good job, because he later told her to be grateful she survived at all, but that was after she had survived childhood under the burden of a retardation diagnosis and special-ed.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I guarantee you you could join all three of us in this discussion, and I don't feel like any one here would be lacking for articulate writing. Sometimes people don't know what they're doing, and it turns out that their behavior and diagnoses are a coping tactic for their own insecurity, or their desire to shirk other work responsibilities.

My friend is a very bright person, but she missed out on an education and a career because people with fancy certificates, some who wear stethoscopes, some as school administrators, have too many competing demands on their time from their golfing and Porsche maintenance.

Hello and welcome, @MelW. I hope you enjoy the forum. Let us know if you need any help figuring things out.

Hi @MelW , welcome, I can definitely relate to the noise sensitivity and the self discovery process, even my path was a bit different:)

I can be the grumpy analytical one, or would you guys rather re-roll for a better charisma distribution?

Hi Mel, welcome to the forums. I found a lot of answers about myself in here, even to questions I wasn't asking. :)

With certain circumstances created by the pandemic my ability to deal with the anxiety that comes with SPD has weakened considerably. Also at 54 years old now like many women I am experiencing menopause and have discovered that other neuro- divergent women also going through menopause have also experienced various cracks in their coping abilities.
I think part of this is just simply from getting older too, I'm a lot less tolerant now than I used to be.

Hi Mel, welcome to the forums. I found a lot of answers about myself in here, even to questions I wasn't asking. :)

I think part of this is just simply from getting older too, I'm a lot less tolerant now than I used to be.
In my own mind, I'm really good at answering every question you never asked.

Hi I'm Mel.

Don’t know quite where to begin. I’m a 54-year-old woman living in the US, Pennsylvania right outside the city of Philadelphia. When I was about six years old I was diagnosed with learning disabilities after a failed attempt at a public school education in first grade. The so-called experts who tested me told my parents that I would never go to college, I would be lucky if I graduated high school and to treat me like I’m blind.

To make a long story short my parents ignored most of that and didn’t lower their expectations despite that very discouraging diagnosis. I’m a bit of this success story not only graduating from high school but I have a bachelors degree from a four-year university. I’ve had three fairly successful careers. I was a theatrical production assistant in my early 20s then a teacher assistant in special education classrooms for the multiply disabled. I still work with the MDS population now but as a massage therapist running my own business. I am happily married to my husband who I met in college. We’ve known each other for over 30 years and have been married for 22. We don’t have any children by choice.

I’ve done pretty well in my life but as you well know even with success when your Nerodivergent life still has its major struggles. Just a little before the pandemic I began to notice that my ability to navigate life’s obstacles was becoming increasingly more difficult. Also my anxiety level was beginning to increase in certain situations. I knew I had learning disabilities but while being out of work temporarily during the pandemic I started to explore what else could be going on. I always had a feeling that there was more than just dyslexia, or ADD. There are even some physical differences that I’ve recognized over the years.

When doing research online I discovered that people who had similar life experiences or symptoms to my own were all identifying themselves as on the spectrum. I kept saying to myself “but I’m not autistic.” Then after watching video after video and listening to some Ted talks it began to occur to me “hey maybe I am autistic after all.” I began to think back on certain events and interactions in my life and when hearing people tell their stories I began to connect the dots with the realization smacking me in the face. This discovery is both joyous and thrilling as well as paralyzing and confusing. The big question, where do I go from here?

Thanks, Mel.
Hi! and welcome to our forum community!

You may be on the spectrum, but I would not expect that to degrade with age? At least, it hasn't with me. At least, my autism has never changed. However, I suffer a lot of anxieties, especially social anxieties. That was so bad that I had crippling difficulty in school, and college was totally too much.

There is one way where my life has degraded; I have several PTSDs, due to childhood traumas. And, time is not a cushion. I still feel those traumas now, the same as when they occurred decades ago. The degradation occurs when more trauma is added. It all adds together for me, so the burden has grown throughout life.

Throughout school, I was diagnosed as retarded. However, I am now a retired electronics design engineer with a long successful career, but that was because the job fit my requirements for keeping anxiety low. I also learned that I can learn anything, but I can't be taught. Being taught is a social event. Thus the school issue.

Perhaps your life has become too complicated? My life has had sections of being too complicated rendering me unable to function. Finding my last job where I had my own private office and lab dramatically ascended my career. It's just a matter of keeping life fitting to your umwelt.

Hi Mel, I'm 51 and a late diagnosed female. Yes, my life has become so difficult, in terms of being able to function, that I'm now a recipient of support services. Forced into by this perimenopausal estrogenic recline and its subsequent impact on my executive function. I always struggled, but its markedly worse now.
I was diagnosed with ASD and ADHD combined types and I have my first appointment for ADHD treatment tomorrow.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you find answers and support here.

Hi Mel, I'm 51 and a late diagnosed female. Yes, my life has become so difficult, in terms of being able to function, that I'm now a recipient of support services. Forced into by this perimenopausal estrogenic recline and its subsequent impact on my executive function. I always struggled, but its markedly worse now.
I was diagnosed with ASD and ADHD combined types and I have my first appointment for ADHD treatment tomorrow.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you find answers and support here.
What sort of treatment is that, for ADHD?

Hi and welcome, yes I would say I experienced some changes to executive functions in my mid 50s, challenges got more challenging, hard to get out the door with everything needed for work etc. It did coincide with some work challenges in terms of impending redundancies and finding other work etc, but yes, noticeable differences. And worked out I may likely have ASD1 at that time, useful to know.

Cope-able with though, I got through via going with the flow, I guess my life changed and I changed to accommodate that, ultimately I stopped work, and live on less but without the hassles. Bit bored but I'm doing some writing now that's quite absorbing.

I hope you will find it useful being here, there's a lot of interest and useful experiences of others to read about here.

Welcome, @DNC24 I am the same age and was diagnosed a few years ago - the diagnosis opens up a whole world! I hope you find this forum as welcoming and helpful as I have.

New Threads

Top Bottom