• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi everyone. I've struggled with mental health issues since childhood. I'm now 62 years old and still learning about myself

angeltaylor8

Hi everyone. I've struggled with various mental health issues since childhood, I'm now 62 years old and still on the path of self discovery. I believe I've undiagnosed ADHD and autism. Like a Jigsaw, I feel like the missing pieces are fitting into place.

I'm concerned about my 8 year old Grandson who has always been a very anxious child. He refuses to let anything leave his house and is hoarding. He also feels extreme empathy for inanimate objects, calls them his friends and gets really upset if my daughter mistakenly throws something out.

For example, the open fire can't be lit as the coals are his friends. Also logs, piece's of paper, recycling objects, the list is endless. His sleeping pattern has always been bad and he is still bed wetting.

I have always felt there were behavioural issues, but my daughter and her husband are in denial.
Please help as I'm so concerned.

1706230220530.png

Hi and welcome to the forums. I don't understand attachments to inanimate objects but I know there's people in the forums that do, maybe they can help.

Hi @angeltaylor8 , welcome to the forum, are your grandson autistic? Do you think he could be? I kind of understand the connection to inanimate objects from my childhood, even I don't quite remember it to that extreme.

I'm not sure if you are after advise on how to talk to your daughter, or trying to understand your grandchild?

He sounds like he may very well be on the spectrum. Sometimes it's the school that will identify it if he has behavioral issues in class.

Hello. The path to self discovery is ultimately a journey. There is no end because one can constantly learn more about themselves, especially as we continue to encounter new experiences and situations.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Your grandson sounds like he has something going on. He should be examined by a professional to determine what his situation is.

It would be better if he were evaluated by a pro than be diagnosed by a bunch of web inhabitants using third-hand information.

Hi and welcome. Have school raised any issues with your daughter? Aspects of your own likely ASD may also be exacerbating your worries about this, sometimes that makes it hard to find ways forward. What does your grandson enjoy? Does he like museums? Can you help him to have happy times? I hope that you enjoy it here and find useful resources and support.

Guess the real issue is why are the parents in denial? Is it financial resources, is it the stigma of having a child who needs a diagnosis, is it the parents both work and are two busy? If you have a strong relationship with them, then maybe you could talk to them about having him evaluated. I did meet a tween boy who l believe was on the spectrum, and he had to have a egg in his possession. It was a special interest. So the mother just rolled with it, thinking it was a phase. My daughter went thru several special interests and finally moved on, except she still may play video games.

Welcome to the forum.
There needs to be a diagnosis. Parents in denial sounds like they don't want to admit there is something going on.
I know my parents would have also been in denial if ASD had been brought up to them when I was a child. They were the type that thought anything of a mental nature was something to be ashamed of.

I'm 66, and back when I was in grade school there were just no thoughts about autism.
The teachers knew I was different and called my mom in to talk with them.
They thought I was just anxious and not social.

I have attachments to certain objects that are of special interest such as rocks.
Nothing to the degree you describe.
Hope you can talk with the parents and maybe get some help.

Hello and welcome to the forum, @angeltaylor8.

I hope you can find the support you are looking for here.

I am definitely someone who gets attached to inanimate objects. My first thought about your example with the open fire and the coals is to lean in to the attachment in a way that benefits everyone. For example, you could try to instill the idea that the flames are worthy of attachment, too and the coals and flames actually are working together. The coals feel important when they can make the flame and they want to keep everyone warm. Coals feel lonely and cold when they lie alone in the fireplace, but they are happy when they can do their job and create the fire that loves to dance.

Hi everyone. I've struggled with various mental health issues since childhood, I'm now 62 years old and still on the path of self discovery. I believe I've undiagnosed ADHD and autism. Like a Jigsaw, I feel like the missing pieces are fitting into place.

I'm concerned about my 8 year old Grandson who has always been a very anxious child. He refuses to let anything leave his house and is hoarding. He also feels extreme empathy for inanimate objects, calls them his friends and gets really upset if my daughter mistakenly throws something out.

For example, the open fire can't be lit as the coals are his friends. Also logs, piece's of paper, recycling objects, the list is endless. His sleeping pattern has always been bad and he is still bed wetting.

I have always felt there were behavioural issues, but my daughter and her husband are in denial.
Please help as I'm so concerned.
I'm not exactly Freud, but I suspect finding him some human friends would be helpful.

New Threads

Top Bottom