• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello there

Hello members of the neurodivergent community!
I'm ecstatic to find this forum exists!
I live in BC, Canada. I just found out the it's free to get a diagnosis from 19 and under but $3000 for me. Worse still, my mom told me diagnosis was expensive while I was underage.
A little backstory, I was assessed for ADHD, aspergers, OCD, Tourette's, and other conditions whose names I do not know very early on. They said I demonstrated signs for some but not really enough signs to suspects I bore any of those conditions, but that I should come back.
We did not go back.
In their defence my parents did their research and I never felt trauma at home; only with extended family or at school.
I'll spare you those details, and flash forward to now.
I'm 23 and I'm grappling with the nature of the neurodiversity.
I talked to a doctor, who prescribed me meds that didn't really work for me and were disruptive. I have a heart condition so I don't have a lot of options.
Reportedly she put me on a waitlist but like. Lol.
Anyway, I'm here, doing my best. I think interacting with a community and gathering primary info is a good start for healing so. Hi. Pleasure to meet you all.
Sincerely, Trippy_Wonka
P.S. Lmk if this username isn't okay I'm not attached to it

1707613434150.png

Hi and welcome. I guess yr user name could imply confusion thru recreational drug use. Is that a way you want to go? It sounds untrue as your post makes good sense. It's good that you are here.

Welcome.

While yes, publicly funded diagnosis is available for minors in BC, the wait times I believe are over two years, and most parents, if they are financially able to, often opt for private diagnosis, especially given the supports funding available to those with a diagnosis is up to $22000 / year for those under age 6 and up to $6000 / year for those aged 6-18, so getting a diagnosis sooner means more time to access the funding which ceases to be available after 18, which is really unfortunate for those who get diagnosed later.

The lack of supports funding in general for adults is part of the reason why some adults who are comfortable doing so, self-identify or self-diagnose instead, since there's no real financial incentive to pursue it. You'll find that an increasing number of groups and communities welcome both formally diagnosed as well as self-diagnosed persons on the spectrum.

Hi Trippy Wonka :) I have no problem with your name. I hope you feel welcome and supported by the community, here.

HI and Welcome
You might want to have a look at this as a source for getting a diagnosis.

Hello and welcome @Trippy_Wonka.

I hope you find what you are looking for here on the forum. "Doing your best" sounds like a good goal to me. I have the same one most days - sometimes, all we can do is keep trying through all of our imperfect efforts.

New Threads

Top Bottom