• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Heightened Sensitivity In the Spring/Summer

Ruth_Alice

I apologize if anyone has already addressed this issue, but I haven't come across this in any of the forums yet.

For the past several years now I have noticed that around mid to late March and especially April, continuing through the rest of the spring and most of the summer months, I always feel like I'm having some kind of an existential crisis. I live in the Midwest, so I'm not sure if allergies could potentially be being triggering me or if it's the heat or the bright light or what, but I always begin to feel extremely depressed and anxious during this particular time. Just about every day around this time I keep obsessively evaluating the course of my life and death feels all the more real to me. Not in the sense that I would kill myself, but I just cannot stop thinking about how everything is so temporal, and so I begin to feel extremely apathetic because everything during this time begins to feel so fleeting. Always passing me by, feeling as though I cannot hold onto my possessions or people that I care about forever, so why even bother trying or going on as though this will always be here for me? It's like a feeling of persistent emptiness, at times numbness, and anxiety and I can't explain why, but during these months I just cannot stop thinking about my own mortality- like it could be the very next day that I die.

Does anyone else experience this? Or possibly have any ideas as to what could be going on here?

I suffer greatly in the Summertime, due to the heat.

When I know summer is getting closer my anxiety goes through the roof, I panic about it being summer... I can't cope in warm weather, even at around 16c I struggle.

It disorientates me, makes me feel physically ill... the heat from the sun actually hurts my skin and my eyes. I'm irritable, grumpy, short tempered.

I don't go outside unless its unavoidable and I keep my curtains shut.

I struggle to control my inner temperature anyway - even now, in November where its cold I sweat and get overheated.

Its not quite the same as what you go through, but yes I struggle in the Summer too.

For me it's chronologically the opposite. The decline of sunlight in fall and winter, and the much colder temperatures they bring always are always a challenge for me. Daylight savings time compounds it all.

Though going from being outside in the cold into an overly warm indoor environment can be awful too. I just don't adjust quickly to extreme temperature variations.

Winter brings on SAD issues with me and I hate the cold,so summer is one of my better seasons too.

I go through those existential crisis a lot, in fact am going through one now. I hate it when it happens because it saps the enjoyment of living right out of me! I do suspect it has to do with the shorter hours and the cold weather setting in though.

I apologize if anyone has already addressed this issue, but I haven't come across this in any of the forums yet.

For the past several years now I have noticed that around mid to late March and especially April, continuing through the rest of the spring and most of the summer months, I always feel like I'm having some kind of an existential crisis. I live in the Midwest, so I'm not sure if allergies could potentially be being triggering me or if it's the heat or the bright light or what, but I always begin to feel extremely depressed and anxious during this particular time. Just about every day around this time I keep obsessively evaluating the course of my life and death feels all the more real to me. Not in the sense that I would kill myself, but I just cannot stop thinking about how everything is so temporal, and so I begin to feel extremely apathetic because everything during this time begins to feel so fleeting. Always passing me by, feeling as though I cannot hold onto my possessions or people that I care about forever, so why even bother trying or going on as though this will always be here for me? It's like a feeling of persistent emptiness, at times numbness, and anxiety and I can't explain why, but during these months I just cannot stop thinking about my own mortality- like it could be the very next day that I die.

Does anyone else experience this? Or possibly have any ideas as to what could be going on here?
Maybe Ruth_Alice ,you suffer from Allergies you are not aware of?
symptoms hot face, irritable skin, stuffy ears, headaches, itchy eyes?

I like the scenery in summer but not much else. The heat gets to me most, I'm most comfortable in the 2-10c temperature anything below I'll feel the cold and anything higher I might as well be in the desert, even now I wake up in the night sweating because it's too warm without even having the heating on. It's bad enough it's too hot to be comfortable during the day but then it's too hot to sleep at night and a couple of days of that and you're ready to snap.

All the kids in the area playing and making noise gets incredibly annoying too, as does the neighbours blasting out music in their gardens all day.

the life angst I get daily my self all the time Ruth_Alice ,a part of being Aspie I guess?

I know it is nothing to be happy about but I am so happy I saw your post. I thought I was the only one.
Around the time of spring when the day begins to become longer I suffer the worst panic attacks! I throw up 2 or 3 times a day and stay in a constant state of terror. The second i notice the light coming through my window even just 5mins earlier I begin to have a panic attack. My doctors just look at my as if I am crazy when I tell them when and why I think it happens. Xanax is what I use to help stabilize myself. About mid summer I begin to adjust. Darker days seem to calm me. So needless to say I have a sensitivity to light. But I am right there with you on this one! And yes I know you posted this 2yrs ago but thank you for posting.

New Threads

Top Bottom