• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Growing out of autism

I have had moments where I wondered if I had "outgrown" autism but now, in my late fifties, I realize that not only have I not outgrown it, after years in the work force, and having retired early due to poor health, I am even regressing back to some of my earlier ways; like in middle childhood. It's as if I reached some kind of curve of learning, and now can't go any higher. While I can still playact normal behaviors, my saturation point is a lot lower, and I need much more time to recover than before. Wonder what the so called experts would say to that?

I have had moments where I wondered if I had "outgrown" autism but now, in my late fifties, I realize that not only have I not outgrown it, after years in the work force, and having retired early due to poor health, I am even regressing back to some of my earlier ways; like in middle childhood. It's as if I reached some kind of curve of learning, and now can't go any higher. While I can still playact normal behaviors, my saturation point is a lot lower, and I need much more time to recover than before. Wonder what the so called experts would say to that?

We all have the tendency to regress to some of our childhood behaviours and tendencies as we grow older, and I think that is perfectly acceptable. I think this is more prevalent among those who tend to have less interaction with people than they did prior to retirement, or as they approach their mid- to late-fifties.

Frankly, for Aspies I think that it is a good thing because of the inner stress and pressures that are caused by stifling what to us would be our normal behaviour, as well as our natural reactions to situations. To behave in ways that express oneself openly is true freedom. I note that you say you quire more time to recover - precisely. It is the mere fact that we have to recover from what is regarded as 'normal' NT behaviour that is very telling.

I echo Dr. Lorna Wing's sentiment [concerning her daughter] that Aspergers may be an example of neuro-diversity, but Kanneresque autism is "a disability.*"

My take: possibly, injured Aspergers. We are not impervious to injuries. Our hyper-sensitivity may, in fact, make us more susceptible to them...

*From http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/may/24/autistic-spectrum-disorder-lorna-wing
Dr. Lorna Wing said:
...Yet while welcoming the growing acceptance that those with autism may have much to contribute to society, Wing worries that this may detract from the needs of those at the lower end of the spectrum. She says: "Youngsters with Asperger's syndrome are speaking up for themselves. Many see it as a difference not a disability, but that is a good and bad thing. For those with classic autism – like my Susie – it certainly is a disability."

Last edited:
I know this is off topic, when i was younger i was diagnosed with asthma, but as I grew older it stop affecting me, now I know I still have it but I haven't had t carry an inhaler around for years, it has rarely showed its self, I don't know if you call that growing out of it, that's what my dad told me,

I know this is off topic, when i was younger i was diagnosed with asthma, but as I grew older it stop affecting me, now I know I still have it but I haven't had t carry an inhaler around for years, it has rarely showed its self, I don't know if you call that growing out of it, that's what my dad told me,

I had severe asthma as a child (severe as in I had to use a nebuliser every day, couldn't run/play without having an attack, even laughing too much caused attacks...) and during puberty it subsided. Since then I have had attacks when my immune system was in bad shape or when I've gone through fast temperature changes, such as going into a heated building after being out in cold air. Now at 40, I'm back on a preventative inhaler and I've had more frequent attacks over the past few years. Not severe, but also not really provoked, either.

I also find my autistic traits are becoming more pronounced as I get older and less able to filter out things. Driving home on the freeway today was hellish as it was raining and visibility was terrible, the wipers were going, and cars leaving spray in their wakes... It was so hard I exited early and took the long way home!

You've illustrated an interesting parallel.

As is pointed out by many of the interlocutors above, the so-called "growing out" is most likely the deployment of consciously chosen coping behaviors based upon experience. As an older Aspie who was never diagnosed in his younger days I can personally attest to this process of learning various coping strategies over the course of many years.

I didn't read all of the posts, but you can grow out of being left handed also. It took me a couple broken bones and a couple joint dislocations, but it can be done. Anyway a lot of the posts seemed to deal with people just finding ways to cope or self heal. I have been weighing the idea of trying a medical approach to help with some issues and I was wondering if the treatments also could help kickstart some change, or if the treatments are kindof like breaking a bone and maybe not worth the price. Had a similar post on another one and got good responses, just had another question on treatment to "grow out of" a couple things.

I didn't read all of the posts, but you can grow out of being left handed also. It took me a couple broken bones and a couple joint dislocations, but it can be done.
By that reckoning, you can grow out of being right-handed, too...!

It's much harder to recognize me as autistic than it was just a few years ago. But that's not because I "outgrew" it. I just put on a mask. Metaphorically speaking.~

I am awaiting my formal diagnosis and the whole journey for me has been about accepting Asperger's as a part of who I am. Asperger's and my personality are one and the same, intertwined. Why on earth would I want to grow out of or be 'cured' from being me?! I do think the traits can become exacerbated in times of stress so major life events can cause periods where Asperger's feels more at the forefront but it has been, and always will be, there for me. Sure as night is night. And I'm ok with that now.

I just put on a mask. Metaphorically speaking.~
iu
"It's showtime!"

Life is theatre. Of course, to a behaviourist the performance of normalcy is normalcy.

Last edited:
Hello. I do have a friend who was diagnosed with autism (don't know which type because it was during the DSM-IV(-TR?) years) but doesn't fit the criteria so she isn't diagnosed with autism anymore. From stories she has told me, I think she has managed to learn strategies and coping tools. I still can see that she shows some traits but I can't read her mind or anything. Certain things I think don't go away.

For an example, I lack eye contact with people. But I have practiced giving eye contact to people I know well enough to feel comfortable with. I have done research about eye contact and understand enough to know how to give eye contact. So would this symptom not count for me as an example because I have learned strategies to give eye contact?

I find that NTs are the one who need to grow out of their outmoded behaviors. IMO, their entire way of being evolves from a prehistoric need to discern friend from enemy. There was a time when it was useful to know who would fight at your side when a wild animal entered the village, but human beings are more evolved, in some ways, than before. It seems that they spend more time having a problem with differences than with seeking similarities to relate to. Just think what the world would be like if diversity were celebrated instead of lamented and feared?

New Threads

Top Bottom