• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional Characters whom you think have Asperger/autism

Re: Aspergical overtones In Media Today

Before I came across movies like Adam and Mary and Max - 2 brilliant aspie portrayals - I used to see representations of my disorder in all sorts of places. Most notably in Captain Jack Sparrow - my favourite movie character of all time played by my favourite actor of all time. When you think about it, apart from his obvious eccentricity, he is a man who thrives on his isolation and on many occasions is more powerful because of his lack of human connections - he has no boundaries.

And I've always thought that in this scene at about the 05:50 mark, he shows a flicker of anguish at his loneliness.

Last edited by a moderator:

*rubs hands together*

My favorite TV series of all time for the past six months, Sherlock, has what I read as a thin veneer of Aspergers all over it. The first time I watched it, I practically jumped out of my seat and screamed "THAT'S ME!!". In the second series, Watson even voices a suspicion that Sherlock has Aspergers, although I'm sure most Aspies would have recognized his tendencies long ago at that point.

In Conan Doyle's original stories, Sherlock does seem to show tendencies, although the diagnosis didn't exist at the time.

I agree with that too. In fact my friends often compare me to Sheldon on that program.

I do love Sheldon, but as a lady I feel I identify more as Amy with her inability to figure out women's social nuances.

I'm reading House Rules by Jodi Picoult right now. The portrayal of Jacob is so grossly exaggerated and he's been getting gradually more HFA and less Aspergers by the minute. I'm only in the middle.

However Asperger's is portrayed in the media, this isn't the right way to do it.

I think that maybe L but, at least, Near from Death Note manga has Asperger Syndrome.

I also think L was an aspie because of his way to stare. On the episode before his death, he tells Yagami that he didn't have any friend. Besides his logic way of thinking, there's also the fact that he used to hear a bell during raining days, what could indicate that he was very sensitive to its sound when lived on the orphanage.

Near is totally on the autism spectrum. He plays with his hair everytime he's thinking, when trying to solve a case, and sees all the situations in a very logic way. I saw also that before he is choosen to succeed L, he was obsessed with puzzles while living on the orphanage. In all the anime, he is shown playing alone with his toys, and he never looks at people when talk to them.

Sheldon Cooper, as many have already pointed out would have to be the quintessential, albeit overly stereotyped Aspie - but then the show wouldn't be as funny otherwise.
Anyone remember The Practice, about a legal firm, about 5 or 6 years ago? They had one of the first characterisations of Aspergers. Can't remember the character's name but he was always stimming in one way or another.

Sheldon is NOT a very good example of an aspie. For one thing, he's gay, and although it's quite possible to be both, I think it confuses viewers. Also, he uses inflection in his voice way too much.

House from House MD.

Correct if I'm wrong, but I don't think House has Asperger. He doesn't fit well socially, but that's because he doesn't trust people, and he does understand very well people's thoughts. But what makes me really doubt that is because he prefers to use metaphors to say what he wants, and he has a very good gift for jokes. There's an episode where Wilson tells Cuddy that House has Asperger (saying that he didn't want the new carpet because he didn't like changes), but that was a trick, so that Cuddy wouldn't complain. She, on the other hand, denies that, and Wilson confess it was just a trick.

Sheldon is NOT a very good example of an aspie. For one thing, he's gay, and although it's quite possible to be both, I think it confuses viewers. Also, he uses inflection in his voice way too much.

Being gay, straight or bi-sexual has nothing to do with being an aspie if you ask me. Also; where did you find this tidbit of information? (preferably a reference season+episode where he comes out of the closet or at the very least a "verified" source that states this; interview with the show creator for example).

I do agree that it might confuse viewers; a overly smart (and scripted), socially awkward (also scripted) character has little to do with people who are like this in real life without intention. As for intonation; I think that it has to do with a lot of intentional provoking and sarcasm. Not understanding sarcasm if others use it, is not the same as speaking sarcasm yourself. But again, also this intonation is probably scripted to some extent (if not just the way Jim Parsons thinks Sheldon should sound and come across).

rowan atkinson's Mr Bean character, he does appear to have an insensitive side, like when he gives his girlfriend a picture hook in a ring sized box, she gets her hopes up until she realises its a hook for the wall not her finger

Being gay, straight or bi-sexual has nothing to do with being an aspie if you ask me. Also; where did you find this tidbit of information? (preferably a reference season+episode where he comes out of the closet or at the very least a "verified" source that states this; interview with the show creator for example).

I do agree that it might confuse viewers; a overly smart (and scripted), socially awkward (also scripted) character has little to do with people who are like this in real life without intention. As for intonation; I think that it has to do with a lot of intentional provoking and sarcasm. Not understanding sarcasm if others use it, is not the same as speaking sarcasm yourself. But again, also this intonation is probably scripted to some extent (if not just the way Jim Parsons thinks Sheldon should sound and come across).

You aren't listening. I said it's quite possible to be both. But it confuses people, because they can't know what behavior is caused by which. Understand now?
And it's the actor who's gay, not the character...but he plays it close to home

You aren't listening. I said it's quite possible to be both. But it confuses people, because they can't know what behavior is caused by which. Understand now?
And it's the actor who's gay, not the character...but he plays it close to home

Sure it's possible to be both... just as much as it's possible to be hetero or bisexual. And as such I feel it adds nothing to the statement about him being gay.

I never saw Sheldon as gay at all... but then again, I didn't really think he was quirky or weird as well. For me, his behaviour makes more sense than a lot of other people I deal with.

Besides; I don't want to nitpick here, but where in your post does it say that you mean the actor? The thread is about fictional characters, so what an actor prefers in real life is barely relevant IMO, even if it adds to his portrayal. Heck, I just found out that he was gay by you posting this and it wasn't that he came out since halfway this year... so how does one explain his "weirdness" for the past few years, prior to this. To me it's a bit silly to now be like "see... he's gay... that's why he's like that. If he didn't come out, people would still be like "he's weird". So the confusion you're talking about is what... only apparent in the final episode of the last season? Since that's about the time he came out.

Correct if I'm wrong, but I don't think House has Asperger. He doesn't fit well socially, but that's because he doesn't trust people, and he does understand very well people's thoughts. But what makes me really doubt that is because he prefers to use metaphors to say what he wants, and he has a very good gift for jokes. There's an episode where Wilson tells Cuddy that House has Asperger (saying that he didn't want the new carpet because he didn't like changes), but that was a trick, so that Cuddy wouldn't complain. She, on the other hand, denies that, and Wilson confess it was just a trick.

I remember that episode. If he's not an Aspie he's definitely Narcissistic.

I don't think Sheldon Cooper is gay. He is of course a caricature aspie.
And yeah, commander Data (my ideal husband:p) could indeed be considered an aspie if he wasn't and android.

I also think Pippi Longstocking has Asperger's. She is my childhood hero!

New Threads

Top Bottom