• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you scare easily?

I used to LOVE books like Goosebumps (I was a 90's, whadaya expect?) and scary stuff, but it all backfired. It compounded with my poor eyesight and it was not fun when the lights went out for the night.

As a teen and an adult, I started officially avoiding gory things. When I was 18 I started having disturbing nightmares every night greatly aggravated by icky things I'd see.. They weren't bloody, but they were gory and painful and gross and frightening. And every night for a year something killed me. Then I turned 19, and:
I got used to it and even got bored with it. I remember in one dream I got swept away in a swollen river, saw a half-submerged tree and thought "Well, this won't end well.", and sure enough, I ended up impaled through the back on the branches. I remember looking down at the branches stick out of my chest and thinking "Again? Greaaaat... Hey, I wonder if I get to see the afterlife this time?" Heheh, like I said, I got used to it! And bored with it. Now they're just bad dreams and they don't bother me. Don't like them, but they don't scare me anymore. Then the fun ones started where I'd start fighting back and winning sometimes!

For any Bones fans, I've been watching through the box set Willow has and in season 3 in one of the gormagon (spelling?) episodes, at the end a figure (Zack?) jumps out to attack 'the corrupter' and it really bothered me. I almost had trouble sleeping - I watch it before I go to bed.
How the heck did you make it to Zack jumping the dude before something on Bones bothered you!? That show grossed me out and ran me off looooong before that scene.

I can feel anxious, but I'm not easily scared anymore, not unless I binge-watch crime shows and I have to go out in the dark alone. As a child I also read the Goosebumps series and lots of thriller books, and spent sleepless nights because of that.

I used to be a scaredy-cat, but now I've been known for playing with mice, luring cockroaches out of the house because I don't want to kill them and cracking up when watching horror movies :D

For me, it's loud noises, or when my husband puts on the brakes in the car unexpectedly, or when the dog lunges at one of the cats or barks unexpectedly, unexpected doorbell rings.

New Threads

Top Bottom