• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you scare easily?

C

Chris

Do any of you scare irrationally/too easily? When I was younger I used to get very scared over certain things on TV that you wouldn't really expect kids to - certain cartoons with sad or tense plots would sort of distress me. I would often have nightmares over certain films that weren't unsuitable for my age. These fears kind of continue today. I wouldn't say I'm some sort of wuss, in everyday situations I can be very calm/laid back, etc and often remain calm when others are freaking out. But some things still get to me. Things that make me jump/startle me really get to me. For any Bones fans, I've been watching through the box set Willow has and in season 3 in one of the gormagon (spelling?) episodes, at the end a figure (Zack?) jumps out to attack 'the corrupter' and it really bothered me. I almost had trouble sleeping - I watch it before I go to bed. Certain situations that arise in films or dramas such as being suffocated/trapped and drowning really get to me too. Even though I know I'm say, I'm in the comfort of my home and these situations aren't really. But it can still disturb me.

A different though more common example I guess are 'physical' fears - for me, heights. This usually comes out with rollercoasters. It's a stupid situation. I know I'm completely safe and that nothing can happen to me (I don't want to hear rollercoaster horror stories, thanks :p ) it still takes me a lot to just queue and take a seat...

Meh.

I used to be scared and stuff but not so much now.
If I come across a dead animal in the street, if no ones looking, I often bend down to try and figure out how it dies o_O. And if there's a fly or w.e on my body or something I remain pretty calm. Etc.
I'm proper bad. LOL.
But nah.
I don't think I'm effected that much.
I used to be when I was younger.
I'd think shadows and stuff were people out to get me when watching a horror film or something.
Horror films were the lol when I was younger and had friends around. We'd be outside of the room to scared to come in half the time... LOL... Rofl!
I don't get surprised very much now, and blood and gore seems to interest me.
Even when I hear things it doesn't scare me. Tbh it never really did but yeah.
EMZ=]

If I come across a dead animal in the street, if no ones looking, I often bend down to try and figure out how it dies o_O.

:lol:

Oh I forgot to add - If I'm alone at night anywhere other than my bed and paranoia sets in, it really sucks. I guess everyone is like that to some extent though.... right? :p Lol.

I used to. Not anymore though.
I actually enjoy going out at night too.
TBH, I think deep down I want someone to try and mug me so then I have a reason to punch someone. LOL.
IDK if that's related to the scare thing.
Meh.
LOL.
EMZ=]

I hate sudden loud noises, especially when i'm at the cinema sitting near the front. This one time I was watching Halloween 2 near the front with some friends. There was a scene were a glass window smashed really loudly. I jumped and half my popcorn flew out of the box, over the person beside me - causing him to jump too! Afterwards I laughed so hard. Luckily it was my friend and not a stranger.

When I was watching The Unborn in the cinema and she opened the mirror with the creature popping out, I jumped. I knew it was coming a mile off but the loudness still made me jump.

@Calvert: When it comes to people pushing me I'll get pissed off. My friend Sophie does it every time she sees me 'cause she finds it funny to hear me say, 'Sophie, I'm being serious, you have no idea how much it pisses me off when you do that' like 20 times a day o_O. LOL.
When it comes to loud noises I'm not as bad as I used to be. I used to be really good. And then got really crap and couldn't stand sudden noises. Now I'm pretty good. I still get a bit irritated though.
EMZ=]

I had irrational fears when i was young and still have some of them.I wonder if I'm overly suspicious

sometimes.

I have a bunch of phobias. I developed a shocking fear of heights in my mid to late teens, when my HFA/Aspie traits were at their most severe. It is still with me but not nearly as bad. Spiders as well, but I'm sure that that is mostly due to growing up in Australia and constantly being bombarded with warnings of spiders out to kill me when I was a little kid.

Even movies and TV shows that would scare or spook most people don't seem to affect me though.

I used to regularly develop a morbid fear of a particular person, often triggered by a benign comment or a funny look or nothing at all. Then if I found myself near that person, put in a situation where I needed to say "hello" or whatever, my heart would start racing and I would break into a cold sweat. It doesn't happen nearly as often these days.

I develop phobias of people quite a lot, where I feel like I'm going to throw up if I fall out with them or something. I really hate it.
It's mainly teachers tbh.
They could just say one thing and then that's it done.
EMZ=]

Lol.

Again, to add - I hate horror movies for my reasons due to the things I listed above. I've always said 'I dont see the fun in being scared'... I guess if my fears or 'irrationalities' are more severe than others, that would cater for being a 'wuss' lol.

I don't understand where my fear of heights came from. I didn't used to be when I was younger. I used to high-dive and so on and that never bothered me, despite it being a more-than suicidal height and relatively dangerous. I'm really not sure how it developed.

Well I've never had a nightmare before that I can remember... My dreams are always quite logical these days, and I think that's because my mind is. So I'm not scared of ghosts or anything.

However, that same logic is probably what makes me scared of the outside world, with the high crime rates etc.

I am always too scared to watch Crime Watch, not because of the stuff itself, but because of the fact that it actually happened in real life and the people who done it are still out there.

As for horror movies, I've never seen the attraction to them.

I'm afraid of being out in the rain or snow because I panic a lot when it hits my face.

I am also irrationally scared of the children's film Water-ship Down.

As for horror films and scary plots in TV shows, it doesn't bother me. I enjoy most of it, if it has a good story line and isn't just horror for the sake of horror. Some of my favourite films are horror, including Silence of the Lambs.

I'm afraid of the dark, if someone turns the lights out at night when I'm half way to or from somewhere in the house I just freeze, curl up and close my eyes and insist that someone come get me. I used to be absolutely terrified of my room to the point that I took all the things I needed out and slept in my brothers room. That started because things used to moved around and make noises and it was all just very weird. Plus, this wine glass thing I had with stones it just smashed one night. It was on a shelf and the flute and base of it were still on the shelf but the top looked like someone had squeezed it until it smashed. That was just...scary :(

And I'm very paranoid outside in the dark too. Stupid things will scare me and make me want to run away.

So to sum up... typical horror built for scaring people...no. Everything else...yes.

I am also irrationally scared of the children's film Water-ship Down.
I watched that film and it had a really weird effect on me o_O. I felt sick the entire time.
The same for some types of music too.
But yeah o_o. I hate that film.
EMZ=]

I don't understand where my fear of heights came from. I didn't used to be when I was younger. I used to high-dive and so on and that never bothered me, despite it being a more-than suicidal height and relatively dangerous. I'm really not sure how it developed.

The question is "when" did it develop. Mine started in my early teens and peaked in my late teens, around the time all of my Aspie/HFA traits were at their most severe. I don't remember being scared of heights at all before that. It isn't too bad now, but for years it was **really** intense. To the extent that a steep set of stairs would freak me out.

I'd hazard a guess at 11 or 12. When I started secondary school, or there abouts. No obvious reason as to why heights suddenly got to me though, in my opinion. :p

And stuff doing a skydive, my life is worth living! :p

Loud noises or unexpected touches make me jump like a loony, I have always had an exaggerated startle response! I'm not afraid of dead things or insects, but I really hate scary movies. They are just too much. I don't like things flying near my face, either, I just don't like the unexpected sound and visual. Other people make me pretty nervous as well.:eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom