• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a speech impediment ?

I sometimes whistle a lot making an S sound when I'm stressed out or anxious but that's it.

I stumble and stutter when I'm around people I'm not comfortable with. Sometimes I accidentally substitute words that don't make sense at all probably due to trying too hard to get my words out. I also speak extremely fast when I'm nervous.

Yes I am speech impaired. I was born with cleft palate which made my speech very nasally. I wasn't understood very well, especially when I would be talking fast.

People used to mimic me all the time, so I grew extremely self-conscious of it growing up. I had real trouble pronouncing my S's. It definitely negatively affected my social life and work prospects.

I had corrective surgery in 1997 when I was 25 to improve my speech. I do sound a lot better but I'm still nasally, quite monotone.

After the surgery, I learned guitar and actually plucked up the courage to sing. even recorded songs I wrote, and I sang live in a band for a little while too. Believe me, it was the best form of speech therapy as it literally forces you to focus more on pronunciations. It also helped to boost my confidence, much moreso than trying to thay thpoon a hundred times to a thpeech therapitht, lol.

Occasionally though when chatting I still have to repeat a word or two but it's rarer these days. The worst ever occurrence I recall actually happened only about a week or so ago as I was trying to order a pair of trainers on the phone. She literally didn't understand ANYTHING I said. Not a word. Every word I uttered she would hear it wrong, I couldn't even spell it out to her slowly. She would get the letters wrong too, lol.

Twenty minutes of getting absolutely nowhere I just hung up totally flummoxed as I knew she would mess up my order and deliver it to a wrong address etc. Honestly, I know I still get people not understand a word or three with me, but they usually hear it right the second time. But she was something else. I wish I had recorded the conversation and stuck it on YouTube, lol.

Do you have any of your song recordings on youtube sonnesun ?
Only an instrumental cover. But I do have audio recordings of my own songs elsewhere I can share (if I can find them). If you like I can post one, or maybe two if I really want to be cruel to your ears, lol :smilingimp:

Only an instrumental cover. But I do have audio recordings of my own songs elsewhere I can share (if I can find them). If you like I can post one, or maybe two if I really want to be cruel to your ears, lol :smilingimp:
Ha, go ahead. Anything would be cool to hear, I've had an electric guitar for a few years now and still can't play a chord. I have books and DVDs with tutorials and it still feels like it's all a different language without any way to learn the language.

I've never been diagnosed with one. But I did notice sometimes people have trouble understanding what I am saying. I don't know why.

Thanks. I love The Beatles ever since the early 1980's. I've seen Macca live in 2010. I've also seen Oasis 5 times, and Noel solo once.

I stammered when I was a child, but speech therapy mostly fixed it by my early teens. I now only stammer when I am extremely tired or stressed. Sometimes instead of stammering my words seem to get stuck in my throat and I end up standing there with my mouth open pulling a strange face while I try to force them out.

Yes. I cannot say the letter s correctly, so I have been told, (I don't notice it myself), and I tend to talk too loudly or too softy at times. I cannot seem to regulate the sound that comes out of my mouth.

I have a clear diction normally, (if I am not tired or overwhelmed) and have been told I have a 'posh' accent - I make a conscience effort to keep my voice regulated but sometimes I get overexcited and shout:D.

I have always struggled with the letter 'r' at the start of a syllable.
If I'm nervous, or tired, I can have a stammer — that is if my brain doesn't totally shut down!
Sometimes my mouth just won't move properly as if its half asleep or stiff.
People often interrupt halfway through a sentence when I pause to think or breath. As I've said before, I think my phonic loop (working memory) is particularly short.
On the one hand, locals sometimes have a hard time following me. On the other, foreigners say I'm easier to understand than other Kiwis.

Last edited:
I have a habit of either speaking to fast, using the same tone or mumbling.

I'm able to keep control over them until I become excited or anxious.

No, but when I'm tired I stutter....the instructions flowing from brain to mouth get stuck on certain sounds (or stuck on no sound at all) like CD skipping.

New Threads

Top Bottom