• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a speech impediment ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I guess I still have one even at the age of twenty six ...

What I never realized before was that I think I talk like Hagrid does from the Harry Potter novels because there's some parts of the word that I don't pronounce correctly.

Also I never even realized that I did have a speech impediment, well maybe apart from the weird monotone voice I spoke in and the different pitches it goes through, other than that I never even noticed. Which made me wonder why I was in speech therapy for a majority of my elementary school days ...

Even now, I'm recognizing it and it's thanks to my dad that I now realize that I sometimes use double syllables where they aren't needed, use the wrong words for things like schematics and schemantics or Modify and Mortified ...

This is another thing that people used to use against me. How does this make me or anyone else with a speech impediment stupid ?

Do people not use the wrong words all the time because they in turn not know the correct meaning to it ? That nasty word retarded wasn't always a nasty word and was an actual medical term until people made it into a nasty word. Now they had to come up with a more politically correct word to replace it -_-

I used to speak rather unclear during my teens. I often pronounced words wrong (or just left out parts) and sometimes it made it sound like I said something else. I spoke rather fast so you're swallowing words or parts of the words.

However, at some point, I figured out that articulation would help me so much and I just need to speak a bit slower. I did realize this partially back when I was still active in the music scene, and obviously, when given a microphone and on a stage, you want the crowd to understand you correctly, both when talking, but also when you're singing (regardless of style). I didn't get any help for it but just told myself to speak slower and that kinda stuck ever since.

Sometimes I think I still have problems articulating and speaking clear since my parents often ask me if I can repeat what I said. But the truth is, they're just turning deaf, lol. It has nothing to do with my speech anymore. Their hearing is going downhill and their attention towards the television pretty much all the time does catch them off guard when I tell them something. So with them I learned that it's not as much a potential speech impediment, but it could just as well be their hearing impediment.

I used to speak rather unclear during my teens. I often pronounced words wrong (or just left out parts) and sometimes it made it sound like I said something else. I spoke rather fast so you're swallowing words or parts of the words.

However, at some point, I figured out that articulation would help me so much and I just need to speak a bit slower. I did realize this partially back when I was still active in the music scene, and obviously, when given a microphone and on a stage, you want the crowd to understand you correctly, both when talking, but also when you're singing (regardless of style). I didn't get any help for it but just told myself to speak slower and that kinda stuck ever since.

Sometimes I think I still have problems articulating and speaking clear since my parents often ask me if I can repeat what I said. But the truth is, they're just turning deaf, lol. It has nothing to do with my speech anymore. Their hearing is going downhill and their attention towards the television pretty much all the time does catch them off guard when I tell them something. So with them I learned that it's not as much a potential speech impediment, but it could just as well be their hearing impediment.

That's another thing I probably never have noticed, talking to fast :/ I need to take a leaf out of your book and try the same or something similar to what you applied. I need to also enunciate words a little more if I ever wanted to be a voice actor and maybe some acting.

I'll probably join a community theater if their willing to work with me and if they don't really need any previous training of some sort as I was in drama club but kind of really put off to the side. The teacher didn't want me ruining her ****ing winning streak in state performance of whatever :/

I wonder if my tone deafness has anything to do with my speech impediment ? ...

I know someone on the spectrum who has a serious impediment. He stutters, he coughs out certain words (especially words that start with H), he has trouble with words that start with S (he'll say words like "sssssssssssocial"). He vocalizes with emphasis on certain words as if he's forcing himself to say the word.

Normally, my speech is fine. Some say I use too many big words in speech, and I may actually have to define a word to people.

When I'm depressed though, speech becomes quite difficult. On some days, I have found it hard to form coherent sentences, or even to the extent that I have trouble forming the words with my mouth.

I have since wondered if this has any link to my autism or if it is to do with purely depression.

That nasty word retarded wasn't always a nasty word and was an actual medical term until people made it into a nasty word. Now they had to come up with a more politically correct word to replace it -_-

Is there a politically correct word for it now? Last I heard, there wasn't one.

I tend to stutter a lot and make weird pauses between words. I also mix up tenses of past, present, future, etc. I've been told I word things weirdly though no one really tells me exactly what they mean. I guess I just have an unusual way of saying sentences? Plus my monotone voice and my tendency to drag out certain words and emphasise random letters/sounds in words when it is not needed. And, for some reason, while I use compounds when I write or type, I tend to speak like, "I am" rather than "I'm" and such similar things like that. I'm not sure if that's abnormal but people seem to think so.

Is there a politically correct word for it now? Last I heard, there wasn't one.

It is hard to find one that doesn't have offensive implications but I'd like to point out that I don't really take kindly to the way in which "political correctness" is being spoken of on this thread. It's not political correctness, it's paying mind to what you say so that you don't oppress minorities. It's not about offending people and hurting feelings, it's about breaking down power structures to promote equality. We on the spectrum ask for patience and understanding of those around us. We should work to be more open minded and considerate ourselves.
Word meanings change with the times, that is simply what happens. We cannot live in the past and treat the word R word as if it is not an offensive slur simply because it has not always been treated as such. You cannot force it to become an innocent word once it's already been dragged through the dirt.
From what I know, the word has negative connotations from the 90's when it started to be used as a negative slang term. I'll have to read more into it to see if this is actually correct.

I have a weird tendency to seek out more colorful words, although I'm worried I'm risking sounding pedantic. I also pronounced the T in often and soften for several years and the R in February. I also used "if I was" for years and never said one hundred and one. I've gone back to the old ways because I think those habits sound forced, although I do try to enhance my vocabulary. I use the word "concur" too often, I think.

I have a weird tendency to seek out more colorful words, although I'm worried I'm risking sounding pedantic.

Oh yeah. Reminds me of how many times I've been told I sounded "pompous". Neurotypicals say it in six words...while I would use thirty or more.

And occasionally I might slur my words when I become self-conscious about what I am trying to say. Frustrating at times...trying to find the right words and worrying about how they will be taken all at the same time.

I often muddle words up and sometimes even slur them a little bit (people often assume I'm drunk, haha NO).
I think I notice it more than the people around me though. I do sometimes even pronounce words I may have read and not heard often enough slightly wrong.

I was in speech therapy for six years as a kid for speech issues. My mom reports I had a lot of trouble with pronunciation as a kid. Great memory for vocab, just couldn't pronounce it. Speech therapy mainly addressed my stutter and specific sounds I had trouble with like S, T, R. To most normal people I seem well spoken now, but truly well spoken people catch my pronunciation errors constantly. I also have issues sequencing my words and with repeating. I have to think very very carefully as I speak. If I'm upset there's really no point in trying to talk at all, because every speech problem I have comes out in full force and makers it impossible to get even one sentence out correctly. Some have taken great glee in pushing me to that point, as if my inability to speak means they won.

There's definitely a spectrum of speech impediments here. I have always noticed that I can't always say things accurately on my first try; thought it was possibly a confidence issue. I frustratingly muddle words, frantically thinking of the next words to say while trying to pronounce correctly. But does anyone find it the speech impediment problems are less evident in more relaxed situations?

It is hard to find one that doesn't have offensive implications but I'd like to point out that I don't really take kindly to the way in which "political correctness" is being spoken of on this thread. It's not political correctness, it's paying mind to what you say so that you don't oppress minorities. It's not about offending people and hurting feelings, it's about breaking down power structures to promote equality. We on the spectrum ask for patience and understanding of those around us. We should work to be more open minded and considerate ourselves.
Word meanings change with the times, that is simply what happens. We cannot live in the past and treat the word R word as if it is not an offensive slur simply because it has not always been treated as such. You cannot force it to become an innocent word once it's already been dragged through the dirt.
From what I know, the word has negative connotations from the 90's when it started to be used as a negative slang term. I'll have to read more into it to see if this is actually correct.

I guess it does have negative connotations, but so does autistic to some, in which it is used interchangeably with the "r" word. When I said that, I wasn't talking about political correctness in a bad way, just that we sometimes can't call a spade a spade, but a flat-headed digging tool because someone started to use it as an insult. I mean, the reason it was used as a negative slang term is because some people considered it synonymous with "stupid" and when mental retardation is lack of cognitive ability, it isn't being used out of context, more just insensitively.
Other words are used as slang too. I mean, "gay" is used as a negative slang word, more often to describe things feminine, or when two guys' actions are interpreted in a certain way. Kids do it all the time, does it turn the word "gay" into offensive slang? Not really. So why for other words?
I mean for the "n" word it has hundreds of years of racism and oppression attached to it. Same as "gay" whose oppression can be traced probably further than the Old Testament. But people in most circles don't hate people with mental disabilities, and so if a couple of kids use a word insenitively, should that turn it into a "nasty" word?

I stutter a lot, especially when I'm nervous, talking too quickly, or overall just have a lot of things on my mind. I have to think carefully about speaking and slow down. Even speaking slow though, the stutter will come out. I also have this issue when I've just woken up in the morning and at night when I'm tired. I also just speak too quietly some times, so even if I don't stutter, I many times still have to repeat myself to be heard.

When I was younger I spoke too quickly and skipped all or parts of words. I mispronounced a few as a preschooler and, into first grade. Drama and music helped me correct my rapid speech and, learn not to skip words or parts of words.

If I'm overly tired, I forget the proper names of objects and everything becomes "that thing, the thingy ma-jig-it, that what's it" etc...

I tend to speak quickly, softly and with a monotone. It's something that I've tried to correct myself but failed.

Does anyone know how I could improve on this?

Thank you

ive only just saw your post but i totally agree, i wish people would understand what its like for those of us with the disability.
i am intellectually disabled [albeit mild] and since the mid nineties the R word has become highly common in the UK.
i have 'mild mental retardation' written in diagnostic papers which makes me feel sick,in the UK it should say learning disability [which means another thing in america but that doctor must have used the DSM].

as an insult,people dont realise the ones they are actually hurting are us because they are relating stupidity to our diagnosis, we arent stupid-far from it we all have qualities and skills beyond what our severity label tells us.
i like to relate this situation to computers- we [ID people] are single processor computers and non ID people are dual core processor computers,neither is technically bad but the single processor just cant process as much information and cant process as complex information as the dual core.

i am so glad they dropped mental retardation in the DSM and now use intellectual disability, and because of the way 'retard' has become a vile insult to us- medications such as tegretol; that used the term 'retard' changed their names a while ago.

as for the original topic,i have a speech impairment because i was non verbal till my late twenties and though i became fully verbal i struggle to speak.i need SALT but because i am effectively verbal the intellectual disability team in social services wont give me an appointment, they only give SALT to people who are non verbal due to budget cuts.

I used to talk with a lisp, couldn't pronounce my S sounds, but I had speech therapy at a rather young age so I can now.

I do sympathise with the likes of Jonathan Ross though who can't pronounce their Rs, I just don't like him in particular as a person.

New Threads

Top Bottom