• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspies Have A Sense of Humor?

I would say so. My friends think I am very funny, though I'm told my sense of humor is quite dark.

I have to say though, I tend to find things funny that others don't.

I'm new to this site. Which means I haven't read very much on here, but I think your jokes are funny. I have an extremely offensive sense of humor. I was trying to find other funny autist on the Internet , and it has been a real challenge. I manage to make NT, and autistic people uncomfortable. It does suck!

Just a few jokes I've made that no one gets...
Brevity is the sole of nits. (Cat. Literature)
The British conquered half the world seeking a decent meal. (Cat. History)
Never underestimate typing monkeys. (Cat. Determinism)

I do find the word play cute, but I must admit I'm not smart enough to catch the meaning of these jokes. I'm sorry!

I do find the word play cute, but I must admit I'm not smart enough to catch the meaning of these jokes. I'm sorry!
Brevity is the soul of wit.
English cuisine is well interesting.
Infinite monkey theorem suggests that all of Shakespeare's plays could have been typed out at random by an infinitely typing monkey, which I believe would be an argument for determinism.
None of this has anything to do with being 'smart' rather it illustrates how a joke can fail because of the missing context. I'm really not smart. I work in fast food and clear tables and, yes, I don't have a single degree.

When in society, I often laugh when other people laugh, even if I don't see what's funny. It's become an automatic cloning reflex. In some situation, I don't laugh when they do and get strange reaction (people trying to explain me... and so on) or it takes me a couple of seconds to find what's funny, and I laugh after everyone else.

i dont understand jokes because i am very literal and rigid in thinking, but i laugh at anything and everything and i have a rude mind,so for example, one of my support staff said i dont get paid a lot for this job and i said why dont you be a prostitute as youd get a lot more money, i was serious and she laughed alot and said they wouldnt want her at her age,i said they take anyone around here from what ive heard.

i do remember hearing of one aspie on a well known ASD forum who was a working comedian, and ive lived with quite a few LFAs who had great humour,it depends on your definition of humour though.

I see humor in a lot of things most people wouldn't think are funny at all -- I don't quite understand it myself. When I was a kid, I thought someone getting bonked on the noggin was hysterical. Still do, I suppose. My mom was "punny," so I tend towards verbal wit a good bit.

I'm not good at making jokes myself but I do enjoy watching funny clips shows/outtake programs as I understand the humour there.
The last time I made an original joke that actually got a laugh was when my brother found a Ladybird in his bed one morning (which I got rid of by putting out the window) and he said to me "I better not tell my girlfriend that I slept with a ladybird", to which I casually replied "at least you didn't sleep with a ladyboy".
(Please note I've got nothing against gays, lesbians, bisexuals or transsexuals, just in case anyone gets the wrong idea)

I also enjoy stand-up comedy from several comedians such as Russell Howard, Lee Evans and Peter Kay among others, but I don't find all comedians funny though - I watched a stand-up show from Mickey Flanagan some time back and turned it off before the end as I barely giggled at his jokes.

seems most folk don't grok my humor, and vice-versa.:oops:
I'm not going to lie, I had to google the word grok because I thought you were making up words. Grok does sound funny. Good job, this joke is great, too bad my knowledge of the English language is so limited (English as first language ;) ). Keep up the good work.

Meh! :confused: I have lost count of how many times a joke I made here was taken as a personal attack or something...no not much humor in aspie land.

Meh! :confused: I have lost count of how many times a joke I made here was taken as a personal attack or something...no not much humor in aspie land.
There is plenty of humor. Ours is just messed up, so people struggle to get it. Not just in aspie land, but with everyone.
I think you are funny!

MY DONKEY-
everyone's got a donkey all their own-
no matter if one is supine or prone.
stand with back to mirror, with 'nother mirror in hand,
and you'll see straightaway, your donkey behind your gland.
though a few are quiet, most bray and sometimes stink-
but be glad you got one, 'else you couldn't sit, methinks.
[hey, at least it was relatively clean :) ]

There is plenty of humor. Ours is just messed up, so people struggle to get it. Not just in aspie land, but with everyone.
I think you are funny!
theres also a difference between understanding humour,and having humour.
lots of people on the spectrum struggle to understand when something is in humour,but have good sense of humour themselves in what ever form.

and one persons idea of humour may not actually be taken that way,it might cross the inapropriate line in some peoples views and that might be why there is offence.

I think you are funny!
I am not the average aspie either....I am fairly warm and outgoing....all tho I was much less so when younger. It seems if you adapt to NT land long enough some of it sticks.
Humor and joking around are my life line in NT land...not so welcome here.:confused:
Sigh a man with no country...too aspie in NT land, too NT in Aspie land....trying not to mix it all up is difficult:confused: costs me some nice ladies.:(

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom