• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Aspies Have A Sense of Humor?

I have a sense of humour, a very good one as it happens, I just sometimes don't get "jokes", especially if they're at my expense.

Yeah Arms of angles is worse than the ear-piercing hairdryer at 24-hour fitness!! Makes me want to euthanize myself!(that was a joke[a worse version of your joke]). Was that in bad taste? (yeah we have humor issues)Your joke also an inside joke for those of us with SPD issues. NICE! As the ex-presidential candidate Herman Cain/ex-pizza CEO once said, "...that's 2 levels deep." I clearly have humor problems. (still laughing at my own joke-"sad".)

I LOVE sarcasm and satire but if someone does it to me out of the blue-I often react with a cold stare, then a second later, realize they are trying to be friendly and joke, and immediately feel bad and try to be super-nice to them. When I attempt to make a funny/sarcastic remark to people, I often get a blank stare. I immediately feel like I just came off as being super-mean, I apologize and tell the person that I was just trying to make a light/funny remark. Usually I can recover. Easier for me not to attempt in the first place.

Yeah Arms of angles is worse than the ear-piercing hairdryer at 24-hour fitness!! Makes me want to euthanize myself!(that was a joke[a worse version of your joke]). Was that in bad taste? (yeah we have humor issues)Your joke also an inside joke for those of us with SPD issues. NICE! As the ex-presidential candidate Herman Cain/ex-pizza CEO once said, "...that's 2 levels deep." I clearly have humor problems. (still laughing at my own joke-"sad".)

I LOVE sarcasm and satire but if someone does it to me out of the blue-I often react with a cold stare, then a second later, realize they are trying to be friendly and joke, and immediately feel bad and try to be super-nice to them. When I attempt to make a funny/sarcastic remark to people, I often get a blank stare. I immediately feel like I just came off as being super-mean, I apologize and tell the person that I was just trying to make a light/funny remark. Usually I can recover. Easier for me not to attempt in the first place.

I fully understand. That's pretty much my experience too. I'm generally really awkward socially unless people are kind, friendly and can be playfully good natured in their interaction with me. Any pride or arrogance generally puts me off. If I think somebody in mean or unfriendly (and that's quite a lot ) I generally steer clear of those kinds.
I'm not good making or sometimes getting jokes but I do like kidding around with people who enjoy the same as long as it's not at mine or someone else's expense. I'm very sensitive to hurting people just to get a laugh. Growing up with Tourettes plus being somewhat different in other ways I was routinely made fun of and now I hate anything like that.

i do have a sense of humor -- I hide my anxieties behind humor, laughter, and "loving" sarcasm. HOWEVER, some people (NT or AS) don't "get it," although I'd say most of the time, I can make people laugh or smile. I found that if you're fun to be around, people will invite you. It doesn't make it easier to make "close" friends, but I have a group of friends that just enjoy each others' company.

However, for those who don't understand my humor (or where I'm coming from), I can be a challenge. Either I'm referencing something they aren't familiar with, or they think I'm being serious when I'm actually just being silly.

Of course, those people who don't get me, often have difficulty trying to tell ME a joke that I can't relate to, but we can usually find some sort of common ground on at least one topic that everyone can find funny and laugh at together.

I find my sense of humor come from undermining beliefs or rapid tone shifts.

I can go from sweet nothings to calling my partner an asshole, and it's all meant as flirtatious, loving, and humor. They get that and it's why we work.

Dark jokes are really good for me because it hits a spot that makes some people uncomfortable and it's a small victory. Like, "Yeah, see how you're not sure if you should laugh? That's mah life."

I love comedians that are expressive to the extreme, ala Robin Williams. I can read that, but there is a line. Will Ferrell comedy is simplistic splastick and not funny at all to me. On the other extreme is Mitch Hedberg, a guy who mumbles and expressed nothing behind sunglasses and a hat.

Sorry to double post, but I think referencial humor is where people struggle. If you don't have the knowledge, it lacks impact, and as being aspy someone might not drawn the correlation unless indicated to do so. The joke and the thing it's referencing are two separate ideas.

My taste in comedy is pretty "old school" to be honest, I like all the old British comedies except the most overrated pile of tosh ever, Only Fools and Horses.

I also like Mrs Brown's Boys, and Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, which ended its run on BBC 3 about 8 years ago.

I do, but I have a hard time detecting sarcasm unless it's blatantly obvious. If there is even the slightest hint that something can be taken literally instead of as humor, I usually take it literally. This is one of the social cues I have always struggled with.

I also really dislike how our culture has become so humor-driven that it often supersedes reverence and respect. People can make virtually any remark they want, and attempt to excuse it with "I was just joking" or "lighten up." I've seen pastors use the pulpit as a stand-up comedy routine, and of course some people think they can excuse rude remarks about certain groups of people by insisting it was meant as humor. I don't see how these things can be justified, but eh, people can attempt to 'rationalize' just about anything, it seems.

Sorry to double post, but I think referencial humor is where people struggle. If you don't have the knowledge, it lacks impact, and as being aspy someone might not drawn the correlation unless indicated to do so. The joke and the thing it's referencing are two separate ideas.

That's what interests me. If i try to make a joke there are a lot of assumptions behind it.
Cultural,social. The level of my understanding versus theirs, the balance of what is offensive and what it is isnt.

I guess my interest ie humor has taught me more about the spcial aspect of things than anything else.
When someone laughs it means i have conveyed something successfully. They may not understand why they have laughed but there are a lot of duck legs under the water to get to that point.

If i wasnt trying to make a joke, i would hardly speak at all.

An interesting subject to me.

I would put mitch hedberg alongside stephen wright. Mitch,perhaps with bad delivery.
More to do with a conceptual understanding of language to create the surprise.

0qzr7u036b.jpg

See like this one took me a while... If we had been face to face I would have gave the dumb confused look, and then laughed after you were already gone and bewildered... just takes me longer I suppose, but I love humor... I suck at it, but I love it.

New Threads

Top Bottom