• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm Richard but my father's "greatest generation" friends always wanted to call me Dick, as in "Dick Nixon," so now I use it as an online moniker.

My superpower is my ability focus on a single task and to complete it on-time, on-budget, and with a high degree of accuracy.

When I was already an adult my mother recalled an incident in which she brought me to a women's club meeting, sat me on the couch, and told me to sit quietly. She came back an hour later and found me sitting in the same spot, sitting quietly. She told me that it was then that she wondered if there wasn't something wrong with me, but a child behaving as instructed isn't something people talked about as a problem.

During a series of tragic events I became depressed and a psychologist diagnosed me with lifelong clinical depression, even in my childhood. That didn't make sense to me, because I always thought I was a pretty happy-go-lucky kid. Prescriptions for antidepressants didn't do anything for me. I tried several. I started taking Dexedrine and it helped me.

When my son was diagnosed with ADHD, I realized that I had undiagnosed ADD, which went untreated. I was put on Phentermine for weight loss and I hoped it would help with the ADD but I felt it made me too nervous. I use / abuse coffee instead. After some recent setbacks, I came to realize I think I have either Autism or PDA. I'm interested in learning more.

My ADD symptoms:
Difficulty paying close attention to speakers, difficulty sticking with or finishing tasks, difficulty following verbal instructions, challenges with staying organized, difficulty with time management, forgetfulness, easily being distracted, impulsiveness

My Autism symptoms:
Finding it hard to make friends or preferring to be on my own; seeming blunt, rude or not interested in others without meaning to; finding it hard to know how I feel.

My Pathological demand avoidance symptoms:
Resisting ordinary demands, Impulsivity, Surface sociability, Passivity, Avoiding demands

1706634277028.png

Welcome Dick. You made me laugh with that story. Your mom probably thought it was too good to be true. :)

Like your intro, straight to the point. I think l have met someone who has autism and PDA. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your posts. I absolutely adore coffee. The smell, and the help with cardio it gives me.

Last edited:
Welcome. Is your forum name a play off of the musical instrument brand, Rickenbacker?

Hi there Dick, good to meet you.

I can relate to a heap of what you said in your intro. I think there's actually quite a lot of us out there undiagnosed, so you're certainly not alone. As to your suggestions, I think some of the traits of autism do overlap in some form with inattentive type ADHD (or ADD). So I share a lot of your issues with distraction, being unable to finish tasks, etc. So does my youngest, and the feedback we've had so far is that this stems from the ASD.

I think the difference between ADD challenges finishing tasks, and that of autism, is that the former might be more prone to stimulation from other things of interest, whereas ASD is more prone to finding the current task boring and THEN look out for something of interest. I've been doing some soul searching as it's something that infuriates me about myself: I have a great IQ (FWIW) but can't achieve my potential because the moment I dive into something it's "done" in my head with only the boring details left to do. Doesn't matter how much I'm looking forward to something, the second it starts I'm done with it. My kid is the same. He was desperate to go to the local zoo (which is a great one), talked about it often, couldn't wait. The moment we got there he asks "what time are we going home?"

I also understand that PDA is a quite 'extreme' condition which is quite debilitating. I think that ASD has a degree of PDA as part of its spectrum. I know I have it, I'll avoid doing very simple tasks that really need doing to the point that just the thought of, for instance, phoning the dentist to make an appointment for the kids raises my hackles. I think a cursory glance and PDA rings a few bells, but I'm not sure how common it is to have it to the extent described in PDA literature.

I'm Richard but my father's "greatest generation" friends always wanted to call me Dick, as in "Dick Nixon," so now I use it as an online moniker.

My superpower is my ability focus on a single task and to complete it on-time, on-budget, and with a high degree of accuracy.

When I was already an adult my mother recalled an incident in which she brought me to a women's club meeting, sat me on the couch, and told me to sit quietly. She came back an hour later and found me sitting in the same spot, sitting quietly. She told me that it was then that she wondered if there wasn't something wrong with me, but a child behaving as instructed isn't something people talked about as a problem.

During a series of tragic events I became depressed and a psychologist diagnosed me with lifelong clinical depression, even in my childhood. That didn't make sense to me, because I always thought I was a pretty happy-go-lucky kid. Prescriptions for antidepressants didn't do anything for me. I tried several. I started taking Dexedrine and it helped me.

When my son was diagnosed with ADHD, I realized that I had undiagnosed ADD, which went untreated. I was put on Phentermine for weight loss and I hoped it would help with the ADD but I felt it made me too nervous. I use / abuse coffee instead. After some recent setbacks, I came to realize I think I have either Autism or PDA. I'm interested in learning more.

My ADD symptoms:
Difficulty paying close attention to speakers, difficulty sticking with or finishing tasks, difficulty following verbal instructions, challenges with staying organized, difficulty with time management, forgetfulness, easily being distracted, impulsiveness

My Autism symptoms:
Finding it hard to make friends or preferring to be on my own; seeming blunt, rude or not interested in others without meaning to; finding it hard to know how I feel.

My Pathological demand avoidance symptoms:
Resisting ordinary demands, Impulsivity, Surface sociability, Passivity, Avoiding demands
Welcome

New Threads

Top Bottom