• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could/Should We Terraform Venus?

AGXStarseed

as far as i understand from a recent article we can't 'terra' form venus, everything that has been sent to the surface has melted within a few hours because of the intense heat. What nasa may be considering is setting up floating 'habitats' in the higher atmosphere where temperatures are much lower

If we find a way to get away almost 90 bars of CO2 i think we should start with earth

In general likely yes, but the effort is not worth it at all compared to building artificial habitats

Terraforming (Venus or anywhere else) is solidly in the realm of fiction. We aren't even close to having the technologies needed to execute such a massive project. (E.g. Mining Jupiter's atmosphere for the terraforming elements)

Really, just think about that idea for a minute or two. Look up the distances involved. Try to imagine what sort of autonomous spacecraft would be needed. Think about the time needed to move a trillion-trillion kg of hydrogen across those distances. The numbers are so large that they virtually defy comprehension.

In short, these ideas all border on "magical thinking".

Space may be the final frontier
But it's made in a Hollywood basement...

I located the facility where they store the planets. Venus has been terraformed... but it wasn't easy.
proxy-duckduckgo-com-Copy.jpg

jgsb1V

think i got carpal tunnel now :fearscream:
ok it was easy
:smilecat:

Science fiction. Even if we could figure out a way to do it in theory, it would never be practical; we could never find the resources, financial or otherwise, or international cooperation necessary to be able to do it in practice. If we can't find and agree to solutions to the problems on Earth, then how are we ever going terraform a planet? Though if some billionaire thinks they can make a profit from it, they might try. Elon Musk, are you up for it?

Want my opinion?

Science says we as humans screwed up this planet, so why should we even think about trashing out another one?

If that is the best answer some can come up with, then let them continue to dream, because I personally see no sense in it.

As @Sportster wrote, I would like to see us become better stewards of our home planet, Earth. Instead of looking for other homes let's fix the damage we've done to our present home.

I don't know about the feasibility... but I see no problem ethically speaking. Free territory is free for the taking. I wouldn't mind owning Venus as a winter planet.

As @Sportster wrote, I would like to see us become better stewards of our home planet, Earth. Instead of looking for other homes let's fix the damage we've done to our present home.

A message really driven home in the film "Interstellar". Where waiting until the Earth is no longer salvageable could get quite precarious in seeking another home. :eek:

Last edited:
It has been stated, quite simply(N.D.Tyson, and others), that if we could terraform a planet, we would be doing it here, on earth, now.
While there are myriad complications and mitigating circumstances, if we were to terraform another planet, we would almost certainly be writing the earth off as unsalvagable, and certainly putting the final nails in her coffin to do so.
No, our responsibility is inescapable.

"Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

No.
Crazy idea way ahead of our technology.
If you want to perpetuate the human race start with the planet we already have,
if it's not too late.

I don't understand why people care so much and are willing to spend billions of dollars on living on other planets but don't give a rat's rear end about saving *this* planet. The one that can actually support life. Though probably not for much longer.
All the other planets are too hot, or too cold, or full of toxic gases that we can't breathe, or too far away so we'd probably die before we even got close to them. Stay on Earth.

I also like the removing carbon from the atmosphere idea, it's gonna use more energy to remove than actually just to prevent from being released, let alone concentrating it. We already have plants which use the energy we can't use to remove it, if we were able to get so much energy for technical devices why not prevent it from being released instead

New Threads

Top Bottom