• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Collections

DogwoodTree

Still here...
What collections do you have?

When I start a new obsession, I have an irresistible tendency to build a collection around it. When I was a kid, I'd collect figurines or toy sets or whatever. As an adult, it tends to be more useful things, like books or tools or gadgets. I started playing the guitar about 7 months ago now, and I really want to get a banjo as well, even though I barely have enough time to practice my guitar. How in the world can I make time to learn the banjo, too? But I love the idea of adding to my collection of instruments!!

Hey Dogwood, I just started guitar too, I would love to have an axe collection, but due to the prohibitive cost and space I have an amazon wishlist full of all the guitars I would love to collect instead, around a quarter million dollars worth...... Ya I filled it up good, now to somehow become a multi millionaire so I can afford them, and a house with a large room to put them in......

As for the time restraints, I have been spending 60-90 minutes messing around with my new guitar in rocksmith, it claims that within the next 60 days it will make me competent, somehow. In 2 sessions I have learned how the frets and strings work, and that my fingers are not too sensitive to dink around with it for a couple hours at a time, but I have a tremendous amount to learn about playing more then 1 note at a time....

I collect knives. Not the stabby bad kind of knives, more the fantasy designed knifes on wooden display plaques.

cars,trucks,motorcycles,bicycles and off road machines,a lot of them...
toys,models and antique oddities...computers,electronics,stereos,music and movies...tools,both new and antique...fish and aquariums... 54 years of collecting ;)
I have a 53 foot box semi-trailer full of car and truck high performance parts on my property I use as a shed...when it was hauled here,the driver said it was the heaviest thing he ever pulled :D
obsessed? not me :p hoarder? probably ;)

Paintings, coins, comic books, books, DVDs, pipes, mementos, tools, bits of copper, paint brushes, depression glass, batman stuff, soft shirts, socks, jeans, iTunes songs, information, corals and zoanthid species, benthic invertebrates, salt water fish, nano cubes, aquariums
in the past: Camaros, cards-baseball/comic/playing/Star Trek, candles, herbs, knives, military stuff awarded to me or used by me in service: medals-ribbons-commendations-LOAs-50 cal and 9mm shell casings, uniforms, pins,

That's most of my collections. o_O

Books of all kinds; comics (small, but growing---it's just a shame comic books aren't priced the way they used to be!); favorite DVDs; video games; general Batman stuff (as if anyone is surprised by this); kimono and accessories (so far I only have one, but I have a few obi and one haori . . . eventually I hope to have several casual kimono and maybe one or two formal ones for parties).

Antiques, but mostly colored glass and old toys (Love Them!). I also collect old air cooled Volkswagens. I got rid of the Beetles but have a number of old Busses.

I like collecting coins. Canada always have new design for coins every year. When I collect one, I add it to my collection. I know I should have at least 50 coins. Some of the coins are in colour.

Antiques, but mostly colored glass and old toys (Love Them!). I also collect old air cooled Volkswagens. I got rid of the Beetles but have a number of old Busses.
If I had a dollar for every beetle I've owned it would buy a new car :p

I've had all kinds of collections of things over the years, I think I started collecting things obsessively when I was about 5 years old. Yo-yos, scale model cars (mostly kits - many a christmas morning was spent building them), albums (on CD and vinyl) by several different bands/artists that I have been obsessed with over the years, Robot wars merchandise, video games/consoles, old computers (ZX spectrum, Commodore Amiga, Amstrad CPC etc), electric guitars, electric guitar amplifiers and effects, recorded and downloaded episodes of TV shows I like, etc.

I had to throw out all my VHS cassettes of old TV shows a few years ago but it's ok because I can get them all online now.

Foreign coins, quarters, maps of all kinds, cheesy bottle openers, dvds and military history books.

Sometimes I think I "collect" groceries given how I methodically purchase the same things over and over in the same amounts! :eek:

And when I was a child, boy did I have a collection of matchbox cars!

Last edited:
Having kids is a great excuse to collect all those things I wanted when I was kid. :) My girls...we contribute to their My Little Pony and Webkinz collections. My boys...we contribute to their Matchbox cars and Thomas the Train collections. One of my boys is fascinated with toys related to video games, like stuffed Angry Birds toys or stuffed Minecraft toys.

Me personally, I collect gadgets (ipod, kindle, Android cell phone, laptop, netbook, still have an old PDA), books about things I'm fascinated with, clothes I love (blue jeans, comfortable & colorful shirts, sneakers and boots), musical instruments, and wall art that is really colorful and unique.

And then there are things I don't "collect" in that I don't build up a collection of them, but I nearly always have the same, one type. Like my pocket knife--it's a red Swiss Army knife like MacGyver had, and I always have it with me. If something happens to it, I get another one like it. I always have one watch that fits my overall mood of several months (leather band vs. metal band, face color, that kind of thing). And I have one purse that I use at all times...always cross-body, usually some color that has really grabbed my attention lately, roomy enough so I can pack my 9mm when I need to (yes, I've taken a class and have a current license).

And I collect colors in my house. We're renovating a Victorian house, and when I have the time and energy, I'm always adding new colors to our color palette in the house. Can NOT stand monochrome decorating...

Some may not count it as a collection but I collect books. I mean, I don't just read them and store them in some dark corner. I arrange them in categories and touch them from time to time, or smell them or flip through the pages to recall their features. When I read a book I imagine every scene so vividly, it's just like watching a film.

Blown glass,
Awesome, I have some too, mostly in the pipe category o_O
general Batman stuff (as if anyone is surprised by this);
:hearteyes::cool:
Very cool. I've got comics, shirts, a batarang (sharp!) DVDs, cards.

I like collecting coins. Canada always have new design for coins every year. When I collect one, I add it to my collection. I know I should have at least 50 coins. Some of the coins are in colour.
I love the Canadian nickels! Too bad there are no more. :(

Antiques, but mostly colored glass
Yes! Depression glass right? I love the colors. We have blue, red, yellow, green, clear, carnival, all random pieces with no sets.

Awesome collections everyone!!! Many great ones I didn't quote also. :D

I collect a lot of art materials. As a kid (and even now at times!) I was happiest in a craft shop or just looking at stationery and buying different pens, etc, without really needing them as I already had so much! I remember at high school on lunch break picking up and looking at all the clean, unmarked materials and fancy rubbers, etc in the shop with hidden pleasure. I must have looked odd. Lol.

Last edited:
I collect anything Titanic related, but after 10 years I don't have much to show for it. I have a more impressive collection of DVD's. But I only recently got into movies (The past 2 months or so) So I only have around 250 DVDs and about 3 Blu-Rays at the moment. I also collect movie soundtracks and camera equipment. And have a fairly large collection of Rare and not-so rare Lego Sets.

Owls, Books on the Titanic, Birds and the Planets and currently classic Doctor Who DVDs. In the past I had little money and could not collect much but I did collect Fighting Fantasy game books and dice that you needed to use the books also the 'tech specs' from the back of G1 Transformers boxes.

New Threads

Top Bottom