• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Childish handwriting and clumsy

My handwriting is decent now, but it was actually better and quite nice when I was in middle school. I remember needing to hold my mechanical pencil at a certain angle so that the letters would have an almost calligraphic style, with thick and thin lines.
My gross motor skills leave a lot to be desired, however. I'm constantly bumping into things, scraping my hands on cupboards, DROPPING small things (I've dropped a lot of baby food containers [emoji31], among other things on a daily basis).

I have had trouble since I was little with handwriting I was trying to get a laptop to work with since fourth grade but they never gave me one but there's in this new school I may be going to they might have someone who writes for me but I'm not sure. I actually want to write down notes but it's very very hard for me.

So, doordoctor has inspired me to post this thread.

If I need to write neat, I need a ball point pen but has to be in blue and have to take my time writing, for it to resemble at least, an adult's "hand". I cannot even get away with "doctor's" handwriting. Also really hate writing in front of people.

Clumsy? Wow if there is a bag or case standing in the middle of an isle, I can guarantee I shall trip over or if someone is standing with one foot out, I will end up tripping over their foot and feel utterly demoralized, but am vaguely aware of said person seeming apologetic but so ashamed am I that, I ignore or abruptly push their "sorry" and do the best I can to ignore how stupid I feel!

This is from a woman who has small hands and small feet lol

I am glad I inspired you to make the post about handwriting,

me, gait looks like I need to use the bathrom when I dont, (gross motor tone effected too?) and yes, I have tripped on my own 2 feet , last time that happened was back in Octobor, fell in driveway while fixing my dad's truck, dislocated my left shoulder as a result.

˙ʇuıɹd uʍop ǝpısdn pɐǝɹ oʇ ʇlnɔıɟɟıp ʇ,usı ʇı ˙sǝɯıʇǝɯos uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʇıɹʍ oʇ ǝʞıl ı

˙ʇuıɹd uʍop ǝpısdn pɐǝɹ oʇ ʇlnɔıɟɟıp ʇ,usı ʇı ˙sǝɯıʇǝɯos uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʇıɹʍ oʇ ǝʞıl ı

˙ʇᴉ ǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇou ʇnq 'ɥƃnouǝ ʎlᴉsɐǝ ʇᴉ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ I

.hguoht sdrawkcab etirw ot elba eb ot desu I

:)

I get cramps from writing, even now.

I too got complaints from teachers about how illegible my handwriting was, even after I'd mastered cursive, which was quickly. It was like drawing as far as I was concerned.

However, it took a century to learn my ABCs and then to write because of serious gross and fine motor issues. In grade one, it took me an hour to copy four sentences, while it took the next slowest kid twenty minutes. I was dripping with sweat and exhaustion at exercises' end. When done, the teacher said I was supposed to put spaces in between the words, but I thought she had told me to put all the words together. Since I didn't know how to read, it was all the same to me. I was seven.

I never learnt how to hold the pen right. I thump on the keyboard like the Hulk and type with two or three fingers. When I draw, my hand smudges all over the paper and having tissue or paper under it helps not an iota cos I don't hold the pencil proper.

These days, I have to print because nobody would be able to read it otherwise. I get compliments on my posh script.

Clumsiness:

I stopped falling over or tripping over my own feet everyday when I was nine. I broke my teeth multiple times. It's a miracle I didn't break any bones given I was very active and adventurous (surfing in the pool, anyone?). I don't remember breaking my nose, but my surgeon said he hadn't seen anything so bad except on car accident victims.

Now, as an middle-aged fart, stairs and walking down wet hills are an issue. I have to use the rail. If there are many stairs, I get dizzy. I can't go hiking, and I required help when I did it when younger. I still end up with mysterious bruises.

A final note, I have finally broken a bone. It was inevitable, and I'm not an old fart yet.

˙ʇᴉ ǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇou ʇnq 'ɥƃnouǝ ʎlᴉsɐǝ ʇᴉ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ I

.hguoht sdrawkcab etirw ot elba eb ot desu I

:)

When you wrote backwards, which hand did you use?
Did you write cursive or print?
Did you ever use a mirror?
Have you written/printed with both hands at once?

I'm left handed and I could write with both hands at the same time, right hand mirroring left, printing was easiest.. never tried it with a mirror.

I'm left handed and I could write with both hands at the same time, right hand mirroring left, printing was easiest.. never tried it with a mirror.

I guessed that you might be left handed.

When you wrote with both hands at once, did you:
go from left to right?
from right to left?
left hand goes right, right hand goes left, and they meet in the middle?

When you say both hands at once, right hand mirroring the left, does that mean
the left hand print was forward and the right hand print was backwards?

You got it, both hands meeting in the middle, the right hand letters backward also.. I don't know if it's as easy if you're right handed and your hands move apart?

You got it, both hands meeting in the middle, the right hand letters backward also.. I don't know if it's as easy if you're right handed and your hands move apart?

Hmmm. I left out that combination. Moving from the middle, hands close position, to far apart.
I am not good with thinking about directions/movement.
I have done all these combinations of hands/direction writing, though.
And feet.
And mouth.
And writing with my eyes closed.

I have not tried typing/keyboard data entry Mozart style.....with a cloth over the keys.

I tried writing with my feet, but I was rubbish, no dexterity. Are you good with any of these?

I've got very messy handwriting and printing. I'm glad that this is the age of technology and I can type stuff out, post on Facebook or send E-mails. I'm also glad that I don't have a job where I have to answer phones, filling out forms for clients.

Bad handwrittng.
Can be ok with a lots of effort and more time , in a hurry its a mess. Still look a bit childish I guess.
Teachers often told me they couldnt read some of it / reduced my notation because of it.

And for long redaction my hand hurst at the end, Im left handed.

So, doordoctor has inspired me to post this thread.

If I need to write neat, I need a ball point pen but has to be in blue and have to take my time writing, for it to resemble at least, an adult's "hand". I cannot even get away with "doctor's" handwriting. Also really hate writing in front of people.

Clumsy? Wow if there is a bag or case standing in the middle of an isle, I can guarantee I shall trip over or if someone is standing with one foot out, I will end up tripping over their foot and feel utterly demoralized, but am vaguely aware of said person seeming apologetic but so ashamed am I that, I ignore or abruptly push their "sorry" and do the best I can to ignore how stupid I feel!

This is from a woman who has small hands and small feet lol
Fascinating. Yet another piece of the puzzle. "We" continue to surprise me as further pieces of the puzzle suddenly come into focus, and resolve.
I have always enjoyed transliterating my thoughts into a descriptive, written account of my perceptions.
Unfortunately, I am very slow, in cursive, or block lettering, and the result is that the physical aesthetics of my writing resembles that of an extremely talented 6-7-8 yr. old.
I also find myself reading and re-reading what I have written in order to ensure that I am conveying my exact meaning, sentiment, and "feeling". Not, however, for my spelling. I have long been able to dissect previously unencountered spoken words, and usually, spell them flawlessly, the first time.(As I get older, this becomes ever rarer an event, except with newly-coined technological or "urban dictionary" terms, to which I couldn't have been previously exposed.) My vocabulary, which has fallen into extreme disrepair, from extreme disuse, is still quite adequate and descriptive enough for anything(to my thinking), short of publication
I frequently find myself editing even works in progress.
I learned to type(three years of typing classes, in H.S.), made 180-220ish wpm, and eventually became disgruntled with the "cramped" nature of a standard "qwerty" keyboard. Even now, I am "pecking" this out, three or four fingers.
I am approaching 40 min of "typing" in this post, right now.
Usually when I write something 4-5-6pages long, I simply write the final draft, first, instead of all the other "mucking around". It's very time-consuming, but much more comfortable, to me. I also find that I can edit for continuity and accuracy of the respective subjective, or objective, experience, that I wish to convey.
Interestingly, I exhibit no physical clumsiness whatsoever: At a very young age, I began honing my accuracy in everything that I did, physically, mentally, otherwise, or all of the above, as it was possible to continually improve what I instinctively knew to be "life-skills".
Didn't care much for most organised sports, and found myself gravitate toward "hacky-sack", or, kicking a foot-bag to keep it aloft. I became rather "intuitively" talented at this, almost as a martial art, extremely... "acrobatic" and energetic. I later began Quang Ping Yang Tai Chi, and became rather proficient in it , as well.
My accuracy, in all things physical, tends to be very fine-tuned, even and especially in things that I have never tried. Considering that I have(had?) monocular vision, which mostly ruins the ability for depth-perception, I am astounded, tickled, and relieved to be so athletic, with rather excellent reflexes, and accuracy.
I'm not sure if I was clumsy prior to that, as I began practicing for it rather young, 4-5 yrs old.
I'm an hour deep, now, and so, going to sign off.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Last edited:
You may find intriguing commentary on "this" in The Dragons Of Eden: Speculations On The Evolution Of Human Intelligence.
Perhaps Broca's Brain as well.

I'm an hour deep, now, and so, going to sign off.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Taking an hour, or even longer, to write a post of that length is most certainly familiar. Also, wanting to be accurate in expression and being able to spell words, or understand unknown words based on their etymology.

180-220 wpm typing speed, wow, that's way beyond my grasp. Unless you mean cpm? I taught myself to type, and I type a lot, every day, but can never reach even average speeds, because of my lack of fine motor coordination in my hands. I also seem to have what I describe as 'typing dyslexia' where I write words with the characters all in the wrong order - my brain is working faster than my fingers, so my fingers can't keep up and jumble the characters up. I also keep hitting the wrong key. I usually correct such errors, but a few still ellude me.

Taking an hour, or even longer, to write a post of that length is most certainly familiar. Also, wanting to be accurate in expression and being able to spell words, or understand unknown words based on their etymology.

180-220 wpm typing speed, wow, that's way beyond my grasp. Unless you mean cpm? I taught myself to type, and I type a lot, every day, but can never reach even average speeds, because of my lack of fine motor coordination in my hands. I also seem to have what I describe as 'typing dyslexia' where I write words with the characters all in the wrong order - my brain is working faster than my fingers, so my fingers can't keep up and jumble the characters up. I also keep hitting the wrong key. I usually correct such errors, but a few still ellude me.
Think I misquoted the speed.
I think that was my aunt's speed on the commodore 64 typing trainer.
She was blazing fast.
I was only fast. 90 -120 wpm then, I think.
Second, third, or fourth fastest in a class of 28+/-. I apologize. The number never meant so much, just that I was proficient. I also forgot to add that my thoughts fly so quickly, that I basically composed it in 10-15 seconds, it simply took an hour to ploddingly get it all out. When I speak, I also get quite a bit across in a short time. I wish that I could get ideas across that quickly writing or typing, as I do mentally or verbally...

New Threads

Top Bottom