• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Childish handwriting and clumsy

I grew up in an age where I learnt to write with a nib pen and pot of ink, still rmember getting my first Parker refillable fountain pen and the introduction of the Biro to our school. Writing 'properly' was enforced but I loved the flow of ink on paper anyway, and soon got into doing illuminated manuscipts. My writing today is still neat although I do notice that because I don't write anywhere near as much, it is degrading. Shall purchase a fountain pen and start writing again ;)

I have horrible handwriting. I've been told it's due to impatience in transferring thought to written word, and I can agree.

So, doordoctor has inspired me to post this thread.

If I need to write neat, I need a ball point pen but has to be in blue and have to take my time writing, for it to resemble at least, an adult's "hand". I cannot even get away with "doctor's" handwriting. Also really hate writing in front of people.

Clumsy? Wow if there is a bag or case standing in the middle of an isle, I can guarantee I shall trip over or if someone is standing with one foot out, I will end up tripping over their foot and feel utterly demoralized, but am vaguely aware of said person seeming apologetic but so ashamed am I that, I ignore or abruptly push their "sorry" and do the best I can to ignore how stupid I feel!

This is from a woman who has small hands and small feet lol
:O! Did it hurt! *Cries for you*

I know locally there's a big effort academically to retain the use of cursive writing in grammar schools. But geez...when I look back on my own life I never used it again beyond high school, and only then on select occasions.

In this day and age is it really a required skill?

I'd much rather see anyone's printing than their handwriting to begin with...

I also wish that I could read joined hand writing. My aunty has the love letters my great-grandparents wrote to each other before they were married, but I can't read the writing. My aunty read one out to me and I will always remember the final line my great-grandfather wrote: "And when you come to visit I shall claim you as my own". Romantic.

Hmmm weird. I never had much troubles with writing. When I need to write fast my handwriting does get sloppy and seems to be mostly cursive and all letters connected like how I was taught in school. My handwriting does look... off though, which I've always noticed before in comparison with my peers. Still pretty readable though.

My handwriting has been the same since fourth grade, but I find that it doesn't matter as long as I can type, and my teachers are all cool with me typing.

My handwriting is decent and can be nice if I take my time. The problem is, if I try to write as fast as my brain thinks, it's illegible. Part of why I can't keep a journal, at least not a digital one.

My handwriting isn't very neat and I used to get a lot of complaints at school about it. They tried to teach me cursive writing, but I couldn't do it. I hated it and thought it was pointless so didn't want to learn it, and the teachers decided not to push the matter with me. I was always a lot slower than my classmates at writing, and this was a problem in written exams. I was told that I don't hold my pen properly. When I was at university, one day I was sick and didn't attend the seminar, and the professor made fun of my writing in front of the other students. He said it was spidery, or something.

So, doordoctor has inspired me to post this thread.

If I need to write neat, I need a ball point pen but has to be in blue and have to take my time writing, for it to resemble at least, an adult's "hand". I cannot even get away with "doctor's" handwriting. Also really hate writing in front of people.

Clumsy? Wow if there is a bag or case standing in the middle of an isle, I can guarantee I shall trip over or if someone is standing with one foot out, I will end up tripping over their foot and feel utterly demoralized, but am vaguely aware of said person seeming apologetic but so ashamed am I that, I ignore or abruptly push their "sorry" and do the best I can to ignore how stupid I feel!

This is from a woman who has small hands and small feet lol

I never really learned cursive aside from my signature, and even then it's not capitalized.

I do have a history of clumsiness, especially putting my foot in the wrong position or bumping into things (I'm broad shouldered).

I took my paycheck to the bank to cash it.
I endorsed it and handed it over to the teller.
The teller laughed and shoved it back to me, saying
"Now really sign it."

These days I use either cash
or Cashier's Checks. I don't have to sign
Cashier's Checks.

iu

I recall having to use one of these pencil grips in the earlier grades. I just couldn't get my fingers in the right position, and I was always dropping it. I ended up losing the grip, so my teacher made a new one out of plasticine. Then some kid came and destroyed it. This caused me to burst into tears. I just felt so defective and vulnerable.

I definitely struggled with handwriting at junior school. I remember my parents being called into school to discuss it. At some point in junior school we began learning calligraphy type handwriting. The whole class received a calligraphy fountain pen at the school Christmas party, but I got a Berol handwriting pen :cry:

I had my initial ASD assessment this week & this was one of the things which was discussed.

As others have said, I tend to print/use capitals if I have to write stuff, and I too get really achey/crampy hands when I write. If I don't really try hard, My writing style is awful and has no distinct style.

As for clumsiness, that's a whole other post!

I didn't learn to hold the pen properly until after I left school. My handwriting was almost unreadable at times and the teachers kind of gave up on me. Strange thing is when I started work at 17 and it started being commented upon there, I made a huge effort to learn and achieved quite good handwriting skills eventually. Prior to that I really didn't think I could so didn't try at all. I know daft that sounds.

Mine was messy and took me way too long. I have a legible if mechanical sort of printing now. It came about a long time ago when going to some Engineering Drafting classes. There were templates in which you put the pencil and followed the shape of the letter you needed. Eventually my brain/hand learned to do those sort of letters without the template.

My handwriting isn't the neatest,at school it was poor compared to other kids in my class and clumsy,extremely clumsy always got little bruises on my body from tripping over or bumping into stuff.

That's the same as me, I fall over all the time, and my handwriting looks like it was written by a 6 year old child, but I think it's because my brain works faster than my hand

New Threads

Top Bottom