• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Childish handwriting and clumsy

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
So, doordoctor has inspired me to post this thread.

If I need to write neat, I need a ball point pen but has to be in blue and have to take my time writing, for it to resemble at least, an adult's "hand". I cannot even get away with "doctor's" handwriting. Also really hate writing in front of people.

Clumsy? Wow if there is a bag or case standing in the middle of an isle, I can guarantee I shall trip over or if someone is standing with one foot out, I will end up tripping over their foot and feel utterly demoralized, but am vaguely aware of said person seeming apologetic but so ashamed am I that, I ignore or abruptly push their "sorry" and do the best I can to ignore how stupid I feel!

This is from a woman who has small hands and small feet lol

Handwriting has been a lifelong hindrance and battle for me, definitely!
When I was at school I was constantly being made to write with my right hand, though I'm left handed and always had complaints from teachers about how illegible my writing was.
During the summer break I'd canvas family members for samples of their handwriting and spend the six weeks practicing a new style. Inevitably, come the new term, my teachers would complain that I'd changed my writing style and they had to get used to a new hand :confused:
Eventually I found a style I'm comfortable with and can write fairly quickly in - and most importantly it's legible to others.. I've even been complimented on it! Not bad for years of effort, eh :rolleyes:
What helped considerably is the discovery that either a blue or red ballpoint seems to make my writing flow better.. I find most black pens scratchy and my tidiness suffers.

I understand about messy handwriting. When in college and in life I can't even read my own handwriting most of the time. I have to go slow and think about how to form each letter. It is frustrating! I am a golfer so I am not that clumsy when I golf sometimes, I lose my balance at times when I golf and look goofy. I am one that can trip over my own feet or run into things because my gaze is usually somewhere else. I, also, did Karate as a kid and young adult and got pretty good. How I don't know. It is a little weird to me that somethings are clumsy for me while other activities I do fine with. I guess it goes down to if I am really interested in an activity, I can become obsessed with an activity, I go all out to do that activity. Right now I am obsessed with everything golf related.

I also need to write slowly if I want someone to read my handwriting. As I’m a software developer, handwriting is a super rare event for me. The only common time for me to write something is when I need to sign a document. Otherwise, if I have to write more than 5 lines on a page, my hand gets very sore as my hand is not use to writing things on paper. Also handwriting does not work for me as it does not have a spell or grammar check.

I also need to write slowly if I want someone to read my handwriting. As I’m a software developer, handwriting is a super rare event for me. The only common time for me to write something is when I need to sign a document. Otherwise, if I have to write more than 5 lines on a page, my hand gets very sore as my hand is not use to writing things on paper. Also handwriting does not work for me as it does not have a spell or grammar check.

Oh you reminded me, Penguin, that my hand chronically aches when I have to write; actually being that I am SLIGHTLY older than you lol means that I had to write due to no computers and until I got a typewriter ( what? What is one of those)???? And because when I get into a flow, I get into a flow and whoa the ache is horrible and I guess when I think about it, it was due to being heavy handed with my pen or pencil and concentrating so much, because of being horribly self conscious and yep, my spelling is pretty chronic too!

I understand about messy handwriting. When in college and in life I can't even read my own handwriting most of the time. I have to go slow and think about how to form each letter. It is frustrating! I am a golfer so I am not that clumsy when I golf sometimes, I lose my balance at times when I golf and look goofy. I am one that can trip over my own feet or run into things because my gaze is usually somewhere else. I, also, did Karate as a kid and young adult and got pretty good. How I don't know. It is a little weird to me that somethings are clumsy for me while other activities I do fine with. I guess it goes down to if I am really interested in an activity, I can become obsessed with an activity, I go all out to do that activity. Right now I am obsessed with everything golf related.
I also have very messy handwriting. I have a small repair business and I handwrite my service reports and invoices. Except for my signature, I print everything. If I don't, nobody can read my paperwork.
I am a golfer also, but not a very good one. I am way to clumsy to do very good at sports and I have tried several individual sports. In typical Aspie style, I have studied golf to the max. I know what a proper swing should feel and look like. I know what equipment is best for me. My clubs are built for me, proper length shafts with the right flex for my swing speed. I play a ball with the right compression for my swing speed. I play a lot, all year as long as there is no snow. Even after all this, a good game for me is when I break 100. At least I have fun.

Geez, these days the only handwriting I do is my signature. Yeah, I get writers cramp easily as well, although I've been told that it might reflect some degree of dehydration.

But my printing as always been excellent...

I discovered I like golf by a rather strange and I guess unusual method: the wii lol but as yet, have to play for real, which is not going to happen, I guess

I have poor and messy handwriting. It takes effort to write neatly and spell correctly.
I have small feet, but they're flat and I seem to trip over a lot. I once almost fell out of a car as I was trying to get out gracefully.

At primary school, we were told we had to learn cursive writing because that's what the high schools require.
My writing was so messy and painfully slow I got remedial lessons.
At Intermediate, they said only two in our class were any good at cursive (one being me), and everyone else had to learn linkscript.
And then at highschool, my major statistics paper was marked down because the marker couldn't read cursive!

Hah! My handwriting is hieroglyphics, and here's my gait:

1280px-Silly_Walk_Gait.jpg

At school I got frequent detention because my handwriting leaned the wrong way. I'm left-handed. This was around 1980.

Pen colour matters not to me, but the thickness of the point does. Thicker ballpoint pens are the way for me.

My handwriting has deteriorated rapidly in the past ten years or so. In school it was like teacher's handwriting but now, especially when I am in a hurry or tired, it looks like chicken scratch with loops and lines connecting. At work I struggle to make my notes legible, so I have to slow down and make sense of what I am trying to write. Often I have to re-write my notes to my boss and staff so they make sense. I have to insert words or rearrange my notes, and re-write them so they make sense and look decently professional.

It is an achievement for me if I get it right the first time!

Upon trying to read my writing people have told me I missed my calling as a doctor.

I prefer to write in cursive, for mostly aesthetic reasons, but many people have trouble understanding it. My printing is much more comprehensible, but also choppy and childish in appearance. I have even had co-workers ask me weather they ever taught me to write properly in school. The answer is that yes, they spent an inordinate amount of time teaching me, even taking me out of regular class to catch up with my piers, and I still suck at it.

As for gross motor coordination, I have a bit of a reputation for being clumsy. I am always fumbling and dropping items, tripping over object and bumping into furniture. Being extremely tall I have at least learned to instinctively duck door frames.

As a result of my clumsiness I never excelled at sports. It in perhaps a saving grace that most sports bore me anyway. But I did once try roller derby. My friend and I joined at the same time, and while she excelled I found myself stuck learning the basics. After months of practice I still couldn't master control or breaking. In the meantime I severely injured my knee and had to quit entirely. I suppose that's what I get for trying to be athletic.

When I was in public school, I got an A in everything but handwriting. When I was homeschooled, I took calligraphy for a few years. My handwriting is better now, but it can be deplorably illegible with the right combination of rushed and tired.

I have always had shocking hand writing given both AS and my vision impairment. When I was at school the teachers use to hold my work up and say every year, what's all this mess scribble? Oh well the joys of both. The more they tried to improve my hand writing it never worked. i was happy when i could braille or type work then it was neat.
For clumsy I have always been and also fall and trip over things still in my life. You do not see something and over you go. Kids love running between your cane and you and if you do not see them at your feet you trip over them and come down on top of them.
I can relate totally to both and still struggle in my daily life with them. I have found in 50 years do the best we can if they do not like it, learn to like it. We are aspies. :)

I have always had shocking hand writing given both AS and my vision impairment. When I was at school the teachers use to hold my work up and say every year, what's all this mess scribble? Oh well the joys of both. The more they tried to improve my hand writing it never worked. i was happy when i could braille or type work then it was neat.
For clumsy I have always been and also fall and trip over things still in my life. You do not see something and over you go. Kids love running between your cane and you and if you do not see them at your feet you trip over them and come down on top of them.
I can relate totally to both and still struggle in my daily life with them. I have found in 50 years do the best we can if they do not like it, learn to like it. We are aspies. :)

Children can be so cruel!! I bet your hearing is amazing? I lot my sense of taste and smell, completely for a year and after getting past the sheer fright of it all, my imagination kicked in and now, lol not sure if I can truly taste anything or is it my imagination lol

Thomas our cat is blind ( sorry for comparision with an animal) and his whiskers guide him; he does bump into things and as horribly cruel as it sounds, can be quite funny and I have to pick him up and take him to his food.

It endured it and because of it I was mute for 3 years at school. I sort of liked it in a way as I was able to make a life and get so many tools i am still using to this day with disabled people. People do not understand em and treat and expect me to work as anyone else and get upset when i walk away saying that is beyond me

My handwriting looks pretty much just like it did when I was in the third grade ,but hey, I can type very neat!

New Threads

Top Bottom