• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can't Stand Modern Things?

Heh...in another decade or so, there'll be a thread just like this one, on a distant website far away, with people yearning to come back to today's culture, devices, etc.

I would say give me dial-up, AOL, cassettes, Windows XP - it would get the job done in theory, but why should I? Why not embrace the change instead? Oh, the wonders of modern technology!

One more thing, today's pop music sucks. Not going to disagree with that :)

i dont mind modern things,it doesnt mean i am going to use them though, what ever they are/is so forth.
eg,i dont listen to modern music for example,that might be partly due to having had profound hyperacusis for many years so when i finally stabilized with hyperacusis and became able to listen to music again i was in a new world that i didnt understand so looked back at what i knew-dream theaters old albums, pete tongs old cds and old radio shows i had recorded etc,although to be fair earlier this year i bought a new cd of his as soon as it came out-he organised a orchestra to play classic dance music hits that were massive in ibiza-so dance music in a classical music form,i love dance/electronic and i love classical,it was a hit with me.

i will watch new shows like jeff and some aliens,animals,bobs burgers [which is modern] and so on,i hate thomas the tanks new series which is based on CGI not on actual train sets,and doesnt even have the original theme tune,i am life long obsessed with thomas so i stick with his old stuff.

I absolutely despise modern 'mainstream' music. 90% of the modern songs I hear are love songs, sometimes with absolutely awful lyrics.
Social media like Facebook and Twitter ect. ect, I've never used (Twitter) beyond shortcuts for logging into websites. (Facebook, Google+).

There are other modern things I cannot stand, but they are related to politics, and thus have no place on this thread.
I use Facebook to try and reach the rest of humanity. But yeah, what the eff is Twitter? You put an @ with someone's name when you take a picture with them or you make a dumb comment about something general. Or something? Does anyone like Twitter?

Ugh! Now that you mention it, social networks are one thing I could do without. They have some utility when it comes to staying in touch and keeping up to date with events, but I have sacrificed those perks to spare me the rest of it. Like much of the internet, it is addictive and a drain on valuable time. Beyond that though it creates feelings of inadequacy in people and the constant need to perform ones life for a global audience instead of actually living it.

I also see social media as a kind of cybernetic modification for ignorance and intolerance. Humans don't need any help with this, and yet we have algorithms that filter out the voices we disagree with so we end up in "echo chambers" where are views are constantly reinforced rather than being challenged, as they should be. It has turned the internet (a tool for uniting people) into a mechanism driving us apart. Furthermore, it has warped the media industry in such a way as to favor sensationalism and immediacy over varacity. It used to be, "If it bleeds, it leads", now it's all about pedaling outrage, reality be damned!

Add to this the monitization of people's personal information and relationships and that pretty much sums up why you won't find me on those platforms.

New Threads

Top Bottom