• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can't Stand Modern Things?

Someone once asked me :

Name one thing in your house that is not a product of modern technology?

Not including yourself, which you may still be a product of modern technology... or else you may be dead.

@Fridgemagnetman

My father used to like to talk about that, sometimes.

He said that he and my mother would never have met, if their
parents hadn't had access to modern medicine for them.

He and she both would have died from ruptured appendix
and I wouldn't have been born.

Someone once asked me :

Name one thing in your house that is not a product of modern technology?

Not including yourself, which you may still be a product of modern technology... or else you may be dead.
Ahhh, Fridgemagnetman, we meet again! -
My thread title wasn't the most accurate thing ever. I do like modern technology (to an extent). I'm on an iPad right now, which is pretty handy. But I liked old MacBooks better (prior to 2012). I love my AC units (it's 104 degrees here right now). I think my stove might be from the 50s and that's not my choice and it's so annoying ...I wish it was a "modern appliance". I've had smartphones before and liked them ( if there weren't so many ppl on earth, maybe the whole crazed need for rare earth metals wouldn't matter?). Now I just have one of these early cell phones, with buttons under a small screen. Of course, that's because I live in Mexico and only call the gas guy or my landlord.

Still, it seems like even the most recent computers, phones, and appliances are dysfunctional, buggy or useless! Maybe I've been around Mayan descendants too much in the past year, but I'm starting to develop this theory that the good-intentioned part of the world did, in fact, end in 2012. And that's not a conspiracy theory either, because there are no conspirators.

@Fridgemagnetman

My father used to like to talk about that, sometimes.

He said that he and my mother would never have met, if their
parents hadn't had access to modern medicine for them.

He and she both would have died from ruptured appendix
and I wouldn't have been born.
Yeah, @tree
It's a good thing to be born during this time. It used to be so common to lose your child (or several of them) to something like a fever! I'm glad you were born. I admit there are a lot of modern pharmaceuticals I wish had not been invented. But modern pain relievers, some surgeries, cures for various symptoms...def seem to fall into the "contain good" and are well-intentioned category.

If there's one modern cartoon I hate the most, it has to be Teen Titans Go! Not due to the stupid 'original was better without question' line of thought. Rather, I was uncomfortable with how its brand of dark comedy was handled. Believe it or not, Robin living an unfulfilling life and then dying of old age...Was not funny. Neither was the statement "comic books aren't real books!/comic books don't count as books!" There's a whole lot more I could prattle on about, but I won't bother you.

Hey, TTG writers? Popularity does NOT equal quality. I'm pretty sure Twilight proves my point.

Yes, the Titans COULD'VE worked as goofy cartoon characters...IF you did it right. Ya know, maybe by parodying Silver Age comic stuff. Or...Ya know, Joel Schumacher's run on the films...
And maybe if you didn't turn Dick Grayson into a neurotic mess whose perchance for violence would make even Jason Todd and Damian Wayne say "enough!"

Speaking of: People CONSTANTLY say that TTG is/probably would be a work of Mr. Schumacher's. Or that it's just like his 1997 disaster.. TTG is WAAAY worse than Batman & Robin. Bat Credit Card? Bees used as currency!
Joel Schumacher apologized for the movie. Saying he now owes Batman fans the movie they deserve. The TTG writers? They insist the "haters" are making demands of them.

Do NOT let the writers get their hands on Undertale, Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker (Learned Terry's voice actor was a guest star on TTG) or even Batman & Robin. Here's how those parodies would go:
  • (Undertale) The Genocide Route would be presented as the "best" and only route that has a good ending. Starfire would constantly try Pacifist only to be subjected to a depressing ending. Meanwhile, Robin would gleefully do the Genocide run and be rewarded with a golden ending.
  • (Return Of The Joker) Robin's brutal torture would be played for laughs in a number of ways. One being that fellow Titans don't notice his disappearance. Second being his new Joker-fied self would be considered better than his old one.
  • (Batman & Robin) Nora Fries & Alfred would be killed off. Poison Ivy would be COMPLETELY innocent of the former's death; Cyborg and Beast Boy carelessly cause her cyrogen to bust open, then weave a story to shift the blame off themselves. Ivy would witness this and report back to Mr. Freeze. In the end, the Titans successfully avoid punishment for Nora's death. Oh, and Beast Boy drops Alfred's cure.
How bad is my hatred? I wished death upon Victor Stone. I told myself Dick Grayson DESERVED to be raped. I associate Koriand'r with the word "r****d". I assume Superman's appearance in the upcoming Justice League's posters is nothing but a "Return Of Slade"-esque gimmick designed to draw people in. I even hate how Cyborg is getting his own movie. Or is even on the Justice League.

Disclaimer: I have NOT seen the show in a VERY long time. If there are details I may have missed or gotten wrong, do not hesitate to tell me.

I still keep a jar opener that has been in my family longer than I have. It's a simple device that latches onto the top of a jar and you just tighten it up and twist it. I still use it to this very day. I'm quite certain it will outlast me as well. :cool:

s-l200.jpg

As for electric can openers, I've never owned one. And I shave with a double-edged safety razor. The old-fashioned ones, not the "butterfly" style razors. "New" doesn't always mean "better". ;)

61J5wuNRmNL._SY679_.jpg

Last edited:
If there's one modern cartoon I hate the most, it has to be Teen Titans Go! Not due to the stupid 'original was better without question' line of thought. Rather, I was uncomfortable with how its brand of dark comedy was handled. Believe it or not, Robin living an unfulfilling life and then dying of old age...Was not funny. Neither was the statement "comic books aren't real books!/comic books don't count as books!" There's a whole lot more I could prattle on about, but I won't bother you.

Hey, TTG writers? Popularity does NOT equal quality. I'm pretty sure Twilight proves my point.

Yes, the Titans COULD'VE worked as goofy cartoon characters...IF you did it right. Ya know, maybe by parodying Silver Age comic stuff. Or...Ya know, Joel Schumacher's run on the films...
And maybe if you didn't turn Dick Grayson into a neurotic mess whose perchance for violence would make even Jason Todd and Damian Wayne say "enough!"

Speaking of: People CONSTANTLY say that TTG is/probably would be a work of Mr. Schumacher's. Or that it's just like his 1997 disaster.. TTG is WAAAY worse than Batman & Robin. Bat Credit Card? Bees used as currency!
Joel Schumacher apologized for the movie. Saying he now owes Batman fans the movie they deserve. The TTG writers? They insist the "haters" are making demands of them.

Do NOT let the writers get their hands on Undertale, Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker (Learned Terry's voice actor was a guest star on TTG) or even Batman & Robin. Here's how those parodies would go:
  • (Undertale) The Genocide Route would be presented as the "best" and only route that has a good ending. Starfire would constantly try Pacifist only to be subjected to a depressing ending. Meanwhile, Robin would gleefully do the Genocide run and be rewarded with a golden ending.
  • (Return Of The Joker) Robin's brutal torture would be played for laughs in a number of ways. One being that fellow Titans don't notice his disappearance. Second being his new Joker-fied self would be considered better than his old one.
  • (Batman & Robin) Nora Fries & Alfred would be killed off. Poison Ivy would be COMPLETELY innocent of the former's death; Cyborg and Beast Boy carelessly cause her cyrogen to bust open, then weave a story to shift the blame off themselves. Ivy would witness this and report back to Mr. Freeze. In the end, the Titans successfully avoid punishment for Nora's death. Oh, and Beast Boy drops Alfred's cure.
How bad is my hatred? I wished death upon Victor Stone. I told myself Dick Grayson DESERVED to be raped. I associate Koriand'r with the word "r****d". I assume Superman's appearance in the upcoming Justice League's posters is nothing but a "Return Of Slade"-esque gimmick designed to draw people in. I even hate how Cyborg is getting his own movie. Or is even on the Justice League.

Disclaimer: I have NOT seen the show in a VERY long time. If there are details I may have missed or gotten wrong, do not hesitate to tell me.
I haven't seen Teen Titans Go!...so can't comment. But I do like your comic book ideas, particularly the werepug. Sounds like what's happened with the Batman franchise goes along with what creeps me out about newer stuff.

After talking with my husband, it seems like the original comic was more about a brooding misanthrope who was obligated to serve humanity through his actual love of humanity. Then, it's concept was manipulated over and over again to appeal to different audiences, always kind of losing touch with what it was. But maybe the thing you hate the most is when they began to make fun of what originally was good about it. So that it's almost poking fun at what, you, the viewer felt nice about. I liked what you said about forgiving the guy who apologized. He seemed to recognize that there had been an injustice done, which I think is the mark of a true human.

It's changed quite a bit there doesn't seem to be any great movies anymore, there doesn't seem to be any original ideas anymore, they appear to be jumping off old ideas or reboots of old films. There doesn't seem to be any self-made bands, a lot of what I have seen seem to have come from nowhere on shows such as X-Factor and The Voice, and don't last that long. Television has changed a lot to, it seems to be filled with a lot of reality TV. It comes to something when they make a TV show about people watching TV (Gogglebox).

I just started My Antonia by Willa Cather this week and am really enjoying. New isn't necessary when old is so interesting. As for music, have you discovered polka?

Do know a little of Willa Cather, several of her short stories are favourites. Don't know about polka, it seems a little rambunctious for me:D

I have no idea what's current atm, I haven't had current tv since they changed the way tv works. I know they're making new Star Trek though, I hope it doesn't suck! x.x

All my TVs are picture tube, lol right? They've outlived all the flatscreens we've tried to have though. Flatscreens = Garbage = Sadness
I still have a mad collection on VHS tapes and we have several VCRs, it only sucks because they are total space hogs. If we put mine and my dads VHS collections together we could recreate 1990s blockbuster lol

I really can't place something that's come out in just the past 5 years, I want to say Angry Birds, Minecraft, but they seem a bit older than that. They're still making the Simpson's right? Does that count? I haven't seen that show in over ten years though, you know, since they changed the way TV works. The Simpsons will never be on Netflix.

Last edited:
anyone here have trouble tolerating the most recent (past 5 years or so) music, movies, television etc.? I've never loved being entertained by these things, especially tv and movies, but I used to be able to find some good in a movie/show/song. Music was the last thing to go for me...

I hate ALL recently released pop, rap, rock, indie, country. It all sounds like a whiny simulation of heartfelt expression to me. I like Coldplay, so I hung in with them for a long time, but they ought to just quit making music at this point. Movies? The most recent one I enjoyed was Amelie...I still just watch the Princess Bride and The Hobbit cartoon when I need to enjoy a movie (though it does get boring).

And TV? Well I can kind of stand to watch Ninja Warrior with my family. I try to pick the best kids shows, with what I perceive to be well-intentioned creators. I like animated mr bean and sometimes others. But basically all modern "entertainment", including the way news stories are written to spell out how you are supposed to react to the story, bother the sh** out of me!

Just me?
I think because you are able to pick out really good stuff from garbage. I have not watched TV in years and I'm NT. Nothing on there fit to watch, except our public TV station from time to time.

I seem to be stuck back in the 90s as since then everything seems just so alien. cars started getting ugly in the 2000s with boxy sharp edges and metallic hues, and music likewise.

The only currently running shows I'm fine with are "My Little Pony~ Friendship Is Magic" and the YouTube "original" show ,"DC Superhero Girls"; good programs, undesirable theme songs!
Plus, though I get how and why having a dark & gothic Batman (1989), then a bright & campy "Batman & Robin" didn't work, I'm fine with what Joel Schumacher put together.

I am kind of the opposite. I think that we live in a great age for media. In one respect, we have more of everything, and with that comes more garbage, but if you look past that I think that TV in particular is better than it has ever been.
It was once the case that cinema was the place for big, important, and boundary breaking works of popular culture, whereas television was home to small, trivial stories that merely pandered to the masses. In the past decade, and especially the last five years, this dynamic seems to be reversed. Hollywood movies are may still have huge budgets and spectacular effects sequences, but precisely because of those budgets they can't afford to take creative risks, hence the remake/reboot/spinoffs and cliche story telling. Television, on the other hand, has come to rival the production values of major films while taking daring creative risks, in both style and subject matter. Acclaimed film actors have also mad the jump to television, which in previous eras would have been unthinkable. Meanwhile, writers use the time they have to tell much more complicated narratives. It is no wonder to me that critics are calling this a "golden age of television."

Granted, a lot of the shows coming out now are adaptations of existing properties, but where they go from there is often still surprising and fresh. If I had any complaints about the current state of "premium" televison it would be that there is too much of it and I feel inundated with things I "should" watch. Many of the better programs (in my opinion) also tend toward a grimmer world view, which becomes tiresome in over saturation.

As for music; I am out of touch. I have never liked top 40 and dislike commercial radio. I generally search the internet for music I like, which often ends up being a bit on the obscure side. I don't do this as much as I used to, but the only recent musicians to catch my attention have been Tanya Tagaque and St. Vincent. Also; Cibo Mato released Hotel Valentine, which is one funky little album.

As for video games; I pretty much skipped over the last generation of titles, but it seems like the indie scene is pretty vibrant with a lot of creative people doing cool new things with the medium. I also had the chance to play some of the latest Zelda, and it is amazing. Most of my gaming as of late has taken place on my RetroPie and consists of titles from 16 bit era all the way back to SpaceWar! So yeah, I am kicking it old school, but only because my mom gave away my old Nintendo systems, which prompted me to look up emulators, which became an obsession with the origin and history of video games, which became a quest to amass all of the greatest games ever made under a well organized and aesthetically pleasing UI.

I still keep a jar opener that has been in my family longer than I have. It's a simple device that latches onto the top of a jar and you just tighten it up and twist it. I still use it to this very day. I'm quite certain it will outlast me as well. :cool:

s-l200.jpg

As for electric can openers, I've never owned one. And I shave with a double-edged safety razor. The old-fashioned ones, not the "butterfly" style razors. "New" doesn't always mean "better". ;)

61J5wuNRmNL._SY679_.jpg

We have a jar opener similar to yours, it just has a different handle. My parents have had it since they were married, Fifty-three years ago! They are still sold, great tool!

I absolutely despise modern 'mainstream' music. 90% of the modern songs I hear are love songs, sometimes with absolutely awful lyrics.
Social media like Facebook and Twitter ect. ect, I've never used (Twitter) beyond shortcuts for logging into websites. (Facebook, Google+).

There are other modern things I cannot stand, but they are related to politics, and thus have no place on this thread.

I absolutely despise modern 'mainstream' music. 90% of the modern songs I hear are love songs, sometimes with absolutely awful lyrics.

That hasn't changed in decades, I can tell you!

What we are dealing with right now is mass production forced onto concepts that are not about mass production. It's one thing to make Dog Chow; a basic food that can be manufactured and fed to every dog. Not optimum, but covers the essentials.

But art is not like that. Still, that is what the music industry is doing now... creating Music Chow. They have no interest in supporting an actual range of tastes and interests.

No. Everyone gets Music Chow.

New Threads

Top Bottom