• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"But s/he looks just like me": How we confuse NT partners

I think that everyone wears a mask. NTs included. The only difference seems to be that we Aspies tend to feel more bothered by it, as we have a strong urge to be honest, about almost everything...(edit)

...(edit) the internet can act as an excellent platform, for being your true self, without revealing who you are. You just have to find the right community, to test it on.

Another lovely and insightful post. I've really missed your participation on the forums. :)

I agree that everyone wears a mask, but that we Aspies feel more bothered by it. I'd add one other distinction. For a mentally healthy NT person, masks seem to be more about convenience, whereas for an Aspie, or someone with mental illness or a history of trauma, it's more of a necessity [or at least a defence perceived as necessity] in many respects. You got me thinking about why I chafe so hard against mine. Honesty, yes, and also a need for an indefinable sort of freedom. I care about being free more than almost anything.

Brilliant idea, about testing out one's true self online. I have two places where I essentially do that...here, and on one other forum I only visit periodically. Do these outlets go any distance toward allowing me to reveal more of myself elsewhere? No. But for others, this could be an excellent form of self-therapy and self-exploration, training for showing one's true self to those closer to them.

Knowing something is better than nothing. Otherwise you're blind to what is going on with the other person. That's not to say that certain things will be easier to handle, but getting to the "understanding" part will be a little easier with knowledge of the situation. You at least have a reason of why things are the way they are. Knowing the problem can then help with some solution. There still will be rough patches - aren't there in every relationship?

Well said, and all true.

...(edit) Understanding is key and very, very important. As I see it, the problem is that "most people" ether can not or will not understand. That makes successful relationships rare. Why are some partners not able to handle the situation after a diagnosis? They still do not understand. I can see that happening. I do not understand socially driven priorities ether.

As for the "will not understand," I can see how that could happen, if the relationship at time of diagnosis has already reached a point where the NT partner is weary and resentful. I imagine a scenario in which the NT partner is disheartened rather than relieved by diagnosis, as they might see it as an indication that the behaviours they find problematic are unlikely to change. That, and honestly some people don't do well when they find out their partner is disordered or defective in some way. "This isn't what I signed on for." To be fair, I can think of a couple of circumstances for which I might say the same thing.

About the "can not understand," this one mystifies me a bit. If the AS partner can and does articulate themselves, well and often, the NT partner should be able to follow the thread. A very good argument for making intelligence and perceptiveness essential qualities in an NT partner. I'd rather have a mate with the countenance of a walrus but an excellent mind, over a handsome creature who is average at best in terms of capacity. Kindness notwithstanding for the latter. Kindness isn't enough, though many a very complicated person gets involved with someone for their compassion and both parties regret it later.

I have no real idea what true love is although I am adopting Slithy's concept of pragma. As you say, basic emotions are hard enough.

I am hoping that after all this time alone and agonising over my past conduct that I am able to understand the majority of my patterns...(edit)

On your first point, I tend to agree with Slithy's Pragma notion as well. No doubt it's a bit more complicated than that, but it's a damn good foundation to work from.

As for understanding your own patterns, I'm finding that partners are quite good at helping with that. They only need to keep in mind that I respond best to calm delivery at an emotionally neutral time. Tell me about a pattern of mine at an elevated pitch and you'll not see much movement from me to correct it. Present it in gentle tones and couch it objectively, and I'll take a hard look at what I can do.

Our neurology is not our misery, how we think of our neurology and how we respond to it are...(edit)

...(edit)It is frightening that I hear so much of 'aspies can't do....' that comes not from experience but because someone told them that. Fail a hundred times and call it practise.

Agreed on "Our neurology is not our misery", etc. I should have better said it's the root cause, as I am a visual thinker and was envisioning a Causal Chain Analysis model since we're talking about something social. At least I now know you can't really read my mind. :p

Capture.PNG

Amen on the second bit about what Aspies can't do.

My diagnosis was recent, and I was already in a relationship when I got it. I have had trouble in the past, mainly with my NT partners becoming verbally sometimes physically abusive. I was once knocked down and kicked by my partner. When I cried he said "Finally! It's like living with a robot, don't you ever feel anything?" I will admit, I have had horrible taste in partners in the past. My current relationship is the absolute healthiest I've ever had. He has never raised his voice to me or insulted me, even when we disagree. I have noticed he has many aspie traits. He's extremely intelligent and gets obsessed with subjects for months at a time. He is extremely blunt, which is often mistaken for rudeness by others, he's honest to a fault. He absolutely shuts down when people raise their voices, his sense of humor is odd, although hilarious to me at least. He's not good at displaying emotion, although he can be very childlike and loves to play around. Between the two of us, I may have more social skills than he does! When I was diagnosed, I tried to bring up the subject of Aspie's. He flatly told me "I don't even believe that's a real condition. Everyone's mind is different, labeling people and forcing treatment and medication to make them 'normal' is one of the reasons American society is so stifled and as a nation our creativity and progress in humanity is suffering." What exactly do you say to that? All I know, is he is wonderful at helping me to avoid things that upset me, and I do the same for him. Sorry, I had to edit this post because I realized I cut off rather abruptly. Basically, I have found a most likely NT partner who tells me he loves that I'm not over emotional and into my own interests. We've been together over two years and he's told me many times how much he prefers our relationship to any in his past. We both like to stay at home when we're not working, we have wonderful debates about our interests, and we do sometimes say I love you. He's told me before "You don't have to say it, I can tell by the way you look at me." He's said repeatedly that he loves the way my mind works. Given that he honestly believes Aspies is simply a label, I seen no reason to tell him that I'm in that label. He calms me down when I have panic attacks, and actually, he has them too. I pay all of the utilities, he gives me half the money, and I make the payments, because he completely panics and shuts down. We work very well together. Unless something inexplicable should occur, I don't even see why it would be an issue for he and I.

Last edited:
My own experience in two relationships with NT's and several years post analysis of those situations, was that, because of their problems...(edit)...even if I'd been aware of my AS at the time, that would have done nothing to alleviate their own burgeoning problems. I have no intention of blaming it all on them, it's simply that they were unable to recognise how their difficulties affected them, despite the therapies and councelling they both underwent...(edit)

I empathise with your rough experiences with partners who have mental health troubles, Spiller. That must have been frustrating. :emojiconfused: While we may have AS, an NT partner may have other clinical burdens of their own that complicate matters considerably. Barring mental illness [MI] in our own profiles, we may actually have an advantage over those with MI, as in many respects, our behaviours tend to be more uniform and describable than many of their own symptoms. People with a mood disorder, for example, are often quite unpredictable for the ebb and flow of their condition. Their symptoms as they experience them can be incredibly difficult to explain, as they are [in effect] about emotions, which lack layman terminology beyond a point. I once had a very long conversation with a former crew member who has bipolar disorder, and was going through a rough patch while on location. He could make generalisations about what he was experiencing, but words failed him once he started delving beneath the very surface.

An Aspie in a relationship with an NT affected by mental illness could get quite messy. We like logic, thorough descriptions, and predictability. Three things with which those with MI can really struggle, making it bloody hard for us to deal with how an affected partner responds to our quirks. Not to mention the extra trouble they might have dealing with ours, on their end.

At least most MIs can be medicated. My own partner has major depressive disorder, well-controlled by medication. Thank goodness.

I can't "clean". The fumes make me sick, and for whatever reason, I can't see small dirt on the floor. Big mud clods, yes, fine grit, no. My husband knew that going in. And then he forgot it after a few months and started raising Cain about how bad I was at cleaning. I did what I could, but he was never happy. ...(edit)

That's unfortunate, Ashe. An aversion to chemicals, which I have as well, should be an easy one. It's not likely to change at this stage of your life [I can only assume you've tried], so it's all on your mate if he decided it's a problem later. Then what? :confused:

...(edit) I have had trouble in the past, mainly with my NT partners becoming verbally sometimes physically abusive. I was once knocked down and kicked by my partner. When I cried he said "Finally! It's like living with a robot, don't you ever feel anything?"...(edit)

Hello and pleased to meet you, Stopheles. :)

I'm sincerely sorry you had to live through that. What a horrible idea, that someone would abuse you with the apparent intention of pushing you to show emotions he felt were lacking, for his own gratification. That's a special kind of malice.

Happy to hear your new relationship is a vast improvement. It does sound like you may have another Aspie, there. It's unfortunate that he doesn't acknowledge AS as a legitimate condition, however, as frankly, you will likely need his support in it. If you don't mind, how do you feel about the fact that he doesn't accept the reality of AS? Does this concern you at all for the future, despite your good rapport/dynamics? Will it be enough for you, psychologically, just to know the two of you likely share a condition? And an interesting one: Could he be taking such a stance because he's afraid of having "something wrong" with him?

I amend my greeting to "Hello and pleased to meet you, Sopheles. Now let me dissect your situation." Sorry. No hard feelings if you choose not to answer. ;)

I empathise with your rough experiences with partners who have mental health troubles, Spiller. That must have been frustrating. :emojiconfused: While we may have AS, an NT partner may have other clinical burdens of their own that complicate matters considerably. Barring mental illness [MI] in our own profiles, we may actually have an advantage over those with MI, as in many respects, our behaviours tend to be more uniform and describable than many of their own symptoms. People with a mood disorder, for example, are often quite unpredictable for the ebb and flow of their condition. Their symptoms as they experience them can be incredibly difficult to explain, as they are [in effect] about emotions, which lack layman terminology beyond a point. I once had a very long conversation with a former crew member who has bipolar disorder, and was going through a rough patch while on location. He could make generalisations about what he was experiencing, but words failed him once he started delving beneath the very surface.

An Aspie in a relationship with an NT affected by mental illness could get quite messy. We like logic, thorough descriptions, and predictability. Three things with which those with MI can really struggle, making it bloody hard for us to deal with how an affected partner responds to our quirks. Not to mention the extra trouble they might have dealing with ours, on their end.

At least most MIs can be medicated. My own partner has major depressive disorder, well-controlled by medication. Thank goodness.

That's unfortunate, Ashe. An aversion to chemicals, which I have as well, should be an easy one. It's not likely to change at this stage of your life [I can only assume you've tried], so it's all on your mate if he decided it's a problem later. Then what? :confused:

Hello and pleased to meet you, Stopheles. :)

I'm sincerely sorry you had to live through that. What a horrible idea, that someone would abuse you with the apparent intention of pushing you to show emotions he felt were lacking, for his own gratification. That's a special kind of malice.

Happy to hear your new relationship is a vast improvement. It does sound like you may have another Aspie, there. It's unfortunate that he doesn't acknowledge AS as a legitimate condition, however, as frankly, you will likely need his support in it. If you don't mind, how do you feel about the fact that he doesn't accept the reality of AS? Does this concern you at all for the future, despite your good rapport/dynamics? Will it be enough for you, psychologically, just to know the two of you likely share a condition? And an interesting one: Could he be taking such a stance because he's afraid of having "something wrong" with him?

I amend my greeting to "Hello and pleased to meet you, Sopheles. Now let me dissect your situation." Sorry. No hard feelings if you choose not to answer. ;)
Honestly? I think he would be very upset if he was diagnosed. I doubt he would ever even submit to testing. He also has very few friends, and like me, isn't concerned with it. I'm so happy to be with someone who just accepts me and isn't looking to do anything but support and love me, that I don't think it will become an issue. He has the same little quirks, so he understands when I refuse to go to the grocery store with the staggered ceilings and insist on driving across town to the wide open one. I hold his hand and joke with him while he files his taxes online and talk him down so he doesn't panic. When someone gets too close to me and I freeze, he rubs my back and politely asks them to step back. I drive him to work because he gave up his license when he had a meltdown 4 years ago at the BMV trying to renew his. He has asked me a few times what I thought was wrong with him, I'm sure it bothers him, but I don't know how he would take an actual diagnosis. As for the future, I don't know if it will eventually become an issue, but if it does I intend to work through it with him.

Aspies, have you had a relationship in which things started out fine, but your Aspieness became an insurmountable obstacle later? What happened? How did you handle it? What did you learn from it? Given the benefit of hindsight, could you have perhaps salvaged things? What might you have done?

NTs, have you been on the other end of such a situation? Same follow-up questions as above.

Would it be okay to post about a probable (1 partner undiagnosed) AS-AS relationship from the perspective of both the aspie realising their own traits are an obstacle and the partner of an aspie wondering what went wrong, provided both were unaware and undiagnosed at the time? Because I think aspies are unique enough among themselves (and not, supposedly, good at perspective-taking even when they are similar, leading to apparent hypocrisy) that it presents difficulties whether you are with an NT or not. And certainly, I would have done things differently if I had known.

I'm pretty sure this isn't where your thought was coming from, which is like...the assumption of shared NT ground that it turns out isn't there, much to the NT's surprise. So that is why I ask.

...(edit) I'm so happy to be with someone who just accepts me and isn't looking to do anything but support and love me, that I don't think it will become an issue...(edit)

...(edit) He has asked me a few times what I thought was wrong with him, I'm sure it bothers him, but I don't know how he would take an actual diagnosis. As for the future, I don't know if it will eventually become an issue, but if it does I intend to work through it with him.

The right attitude, which you have in abundance, can move mountains. Your partner is a very lucky bloke. :)

Men are such proud and fearful beasts. Our eternal conflict between wanting and not wanting to know things is perhaps our greatest waste of energy. [Insert deity of choice here] bless any partner who can understand us.

Would it be okay to post about a probable (1 partner undiagnosed) AS-AS relationship from the perspective of both the aspie realising their own traits are an obstacle and the partner of an aspie wondering what went wrong, provided both were unaware and undiagnosed at the time?...(edit)

I'm pretty sure this isn't where your thought was coming from, which is like...the assumption of shared NT ground that it turns out isn't there, much to the NT's surprise. So that is why I ask.

If there is one thing we can count on at AC, it's that threads develop a life of their own and evolve in all directions. Have at it. ;)

Please note that I realise the tone of this post may come off as some sort of self-loathing, or that I am attributing all blame for the failure of AS/NT relationships to the Aspie involved. Suffice it to say that's not my intention. But let's face it...this happens.

I never even realize disclaimers are needed until it's too late.

Aspies, have you had a relationship in which things started out fine, but your Aspieness became an insurmountable obstacle later? What happened? How did you handle it? What did you learn from it? Given the benefit of hindsight, could you have perhaps salvaged things? What might you have done?

Mostly I've just been straight with people about being weird. If they can't take it they can go suck it.

All this considered, do we have an obligation to reveal ourselves straight away when an NT shows interest?

I don't think so. Not everyone is as understanding as you want them to be. Some will even use it against you.

It's a bit like "love the sinner, hate the sin," isn't it?

I hate that saying. First off, you are under no obligation to love anybody who does a thing you find repulsive. Second, all that stuff about "sin" makes it sound like the "sinner" is under some obligation not to do that, and autism is not something you are obligated not to have.

Disclaimer: That was just a rant about the saying Nadador mentioned, and not an attack on anything or anyone in particular. Except the saying, I mean.

To answer the question… I don't think that's a useful way to look at it. You are your brain. You can't hate someone's brain while loving the person; not the way I understand hate and love, anyway.

Mostly I've just been straight with people about being weird. If they can't take it they can go suck it.

Oh, how I needed that laugh! :D You certainly pull no punches, Ylva. It's one of your charms.

I hate that saying. First off, you are under no obligation to love anybody who does a thing you find repulsive. Second, all that stuff about "sin" makes it sound like the "sinner" is under some obligation not to do that, and autism is not something you are obligated not to have.

Disclaimer: That was just a rant about the saying Nadador mentioned, and not an attack on anything or anyone in particular. Except the saying, I mean.

To answer the question… I don't think that's a useful way to look at it. You are your brain. You can't hate someone's brain while loving the person; not the way I understand hate and love, anyway.

Agreed on the saying. I was loathe to use it, but it seemed to apply in the moment. Perhaps not, however, if you were to ask my former partner, Mark, my AS was indeed something I was obligated not to have. One of the reasons he is now my former partner. :cool: I suspect a few others here can relate.

Brilliant timing on the disclaimer. You're learning. ;)

He's finally accepted that clorox is his department. I could force through it since I don't actually vomit or gag, but then he has to put up with me while I deal with a headache, nausea, burning eyes, and burning throat for a few hours. I don't think he's gotten used to how long it takes me to see a need to sweep or dust unless I keep a schedule. I've just now gotten a name for executive functioning exhaustion, so I'm not sure I can get him to accept me not folding clothes for a week or two. :oops:

There's always the "natural" stuff, like homemade cleaners. Did that once with the dishes because we ran out of dish soap. Lemon juice and baking soda got the dishes clean, but took three batches of water to do so because it ran out of cleaning power fast. I haven't got much energy for homemade cleaning products since one of the key components is elbow grease. You're in short supply of that with a little kid running around.

Another lovely and insightful post. I've really missed your participation on the forums. :)

I agree that everyone wears a mask, but that we Aspies feel more bothered by it. I'd add one other distinction. For a mentally healthy NT person, masks seem to be more about convenience, whereas for an Aspie, or someone with mental illness or a history of trauma, it's more of a necessity [or at least a defence perceived as necessity] in many respects. You got me thinking about why I chafe so hard against mine. Honesty, yes, and also a need for an indefinable sort of freedom. I care about being free more than almost anything.

Brilliant idea, about testing out one's true self online. I have two places where I essentially do that...here, and on one other forum I only visit periodically. Do these outlets go any distance toward allowing me to reveal more of myself elsewhere? No. But for others, this could be an excellent form of self-therapy and self-exploration, training for showing one's true self to those closer to them.

It's good to be back. I guess you could say I've been a little occupied, focusing on giving a little extra, special, attention, to some very dear people. :p

I can relate very much. I also value freedom, very much so. I'm sure many Aspies do. Being free, to be who you truly are, is definitely one of the most liberating experiences a person can have. I think that this is why we need loved ones in our lives. Not only so that we may love, or be loved, but so that we may take our masks off, to those loved ones, and still find that acceptance, despite what they might find underneath. I think that that is one of the things that defines true love.

If there is one thing we can count on at AC, it's that threads develop a life of their own and evolve in all directions. Have at it. ;)

I took awhile to come back to this because I am still processing the relationship itself. I'm not sure it's appropriate to post all the details here. Basically, neither of us knew what meltdowns were or that I have them. Neither of us had any idea what shutdowns were or that he had them. When he shut me out once, I couldn't trust him again and became needy and depressed. It took me two and a half years to figure out and explain that that's what it was, and that I wasn't jealous of his ex like he assumed. We got hung up on lots of things... I would say he was giving me 'false hope' and he needed to make a decision for or against a relationship. He would say that 'false hope' didn't exist, because how could hope be false? Two years later, he finally understood what I meant and cut me off. Two years after that, he apologized and said it had just gotten too intense.

I don't know if anyone here has heard of Penelope Trunk, but she also has Asperger's--and other issues--and I really relate to her description of troubles in her marriage. She talks about wanting to talk to her (neurotypical) husband while he is working on the farm. When he gets around to talking to her, he realizes she is too intense for him at the moment and goes back to his tractor, so she stands in front of the tractor. He keeps going, so she jumps on top of the tractor. She writes, "I think that's the picture of our relationship, right there. I want to talk, he doesn't, so we do terrible stuff together. I put myself in danger, and he goes along with it by saying that I'm crazy." Eventually you start to feel you are the crazy one, and it is all your fault, and he would be better off without you.

Aspies, have you had a relationship in which things started out fine, but your Aspieness became an insurmountable obstacle later?

It started out fine, because I recognized some of myself in him--the idealism, loyalty, and naivete. But although I could sense it and see it in his past, it was like I was barred from experiencing that side of him myself in the present. Once, I told him he was dead because of this (he didn't like that much), and "When was the last time you felt alive?" Oh man, me five and a half years ago is like a different person. That sort of blunt self-assuredness is mostly gone, I think. Another time, he told me that sometimes he wished he had met me earlier, which I assumed meant before his ex and/or period of unemployment, but I wasn't allowed to ask.

Neither of us was confronting our emotions in the beginning, so it could all be monagamous and safe at the same time it was non-committal with no threatening labels. I am not good at describing it, but I can tell you that people around us teased us, like, 'He follows her around everywhere,' 'He acts like her husband,' 'You two bicker like an old married couple,' and 'Can I steal your future babies?' (because apparently the babies would be cute and biracial). But after being shut out like I mentioned, the relationship became intense and unhealthy. Somehow we lived together for part of that. The good part of living together is we were like perfectly in sync in terms of when we'd get up, eat, work, nap, etc.

What happened? How did you handle it?

I think the thing that finally did us in was my depression. I'll never know for sure...I got the chance to ask, once, and he said he didn't know either. But maybe it's a trigger for him because I know a family member of his was depressed and eventually died, and he had to take care of them during college--one of the things that made him less successful there. So one day when I called him during this depressive catastrophizing mess, he talked me through it, but that was the end, for him. He had been unsure before, but after that, he wasn't really close to me again for three years. A couple times he tried to be, but I could see that he...was terrified, I guess. Reduced to a state in which he cannot talk. To be fair, he was also under a lot of work pressure, eventually losing his job and being unemployed again, so maybe it's not all me.

After two and a half years of not being together, I decided to stop beating myself up over it and try to move on. I had to stop myself from talking about him or to him and try to focus on someone new...eventually thoughts followed actions and I could stop thinking about him, too. That fell apart, but that's another story, and not quite a finished one.

What did you learn from it? Given the benefit of hindsight, could you have perhaps salvaged things? What might you have done?

If I had known, I would understand him--and myself--so much better. I wouldn't have pushed him so hard on the things he can't help, and I wouldn't have blamed myself for them, either. Some things would have been problems regardless, like my depression or him being hung up on his ex, but I think we could've worked around the communication problems somewhat. And just maybe, I would have managed my emotions better and not have stormed off on him quite so many times... :oops: Especially for small crap like (from my perspective at the time) being inefficient and irrational by over-planning and rehearsing things. That tended to happen when we traveled together. I suppose to be fair, I also drove him nuts by forgetting or losing important stuff (should've planned more!) and making mistakes (you can't take care of yourself! you will get into serious trouble!).

I would have tried to make some things I thought were obvious--like my level of interest and commitment--even more glaringly obvious. Maybe it's his trust issues, but he always assumed that my idea of being in a romantic relationship wasn't as serious as his and the reason I was with him is that I would have hooked up with any guy and he happened to be there (I resented what that implied about his opinion of my character, but anyway). Then again, maybe it had to happen at the pace it did. I certainly learned a lot in the process. Just wish it hadn't been so painful, for both of us.

We are talking again now. Text messages seem to work better for us. I have recently suggested to him he may have AS as well...he was a bit defensive, but he did say "maybe" which, coming from him, is like a huge admission, so he might get there eventually. Just have to be patient. I'm trying to come up with like, new rules for our conversations. I'll say something like, "I really appreciate you talking about this, but I don't think it works for you, so how about I talk to a therapist instead when this happens?" Or, "If something I say is too overwhelming and you can't respond, can you tell me that somehow, so that I don't go crazy with anxiety?" He didn't take me up on the telling me directly, but he did say something completely tangential, which I took to be as close as I would get to a sign that he is still there, just cannot respond. He even wished me a happy Valentine's Day, which is like whoah. He hates all holidays, especially greeting card ones.

I dunno. Maybe I'm being foolish. My two NT friends think so. But there is a connection between us unlike any other relationship, and I'm convinced we don't have to be bad for each other because we do really want what's best for one another. Anyway, I won't do anything rash. :rolleyes: Couldn't if I wanted to, we are quite far apart now.

Last edited:
Sorry about bringing up this older message, but I thought I'd share something that might relate.

Do any of you remember the movie Memento? There was a scene in that movie depicting a middle-aged married man who could only retain something like 30 seconds of new memory. But his wife suspected that he might have been faking it for the attention all this time. She was diabetic, and could overdose and die if she takes too much insulin. So she asked her husband to give her the daily insulin shot, and he did. After waiting 30 seconds, she asked him to give her another shot, and he did. This kept going on, and because she was convinced he was faking it, she ended up dying, tearing up because she thought he was being so cruel. He really had no idea that he was doing anything wrong.

That's an analogy that applies to my marriage. I thought that my wife and I had a very happy marriage, and I couldn't understand it when every once in a while she'd get so mad at me and suggest we need to see a marriage counselor. I just didn't see what the problem is. I gave her space just like I'd want, while we each pursued our own interests either next to each other or in adjoining rooms. I thought we spent a lot of time together.

But I didn't know that I wasn't giving her what she needs, and I didn't realize that while my needs were mostly being met, hers were not. And she grew more and more resentful as the years went on and I didn't turn into the person she wanted me to be. She just exhausted herself trying to do things to change me, while I went along happily oblivious to everything except the fact that she was mad at me a lot more often than before. It really bothered her when I would need to leave a family gathering after being there for two hours, and she just couldn't understand why even after I tried to explain how I just needed more than anything to get away and be alone for a while to recover.

Now that I know I'm Aspie, it explains why I feel the way I do in these situations. But I feel sorry for my wife; she's like the wife in the anecdote from Memento.

She definitely didn't realize this about me when we were married, and she actually thought I was behaving the way I was to be cruel, all the while I was oblivious to her feelings on the matter. We don't believe in divorce, especially since we have a child together, and both of our parents were divorced, so we're going to work through this armed with this crucial knowledge. But I do wonder if she'd have married me in the first place if I'd known I was Aspie by the time we met. I certainly never tricked her or tried to pretend to be someone I'm not, and she's always known I need a lot of time alone to recharge, but I'm realizing I need to put in the same kind of efforts in my marriage that I did back when we were still dating -- maybe not to the same extent, since that would be completely exhausting (and often was), but on a more regular basis.

I am 17 months in to a relationship with my ASD partner, I am the NT. It has certainly been a rollercoaster of tears and loneliness and yet he is probably one of the most caring men I have ever met. I feel like I have had to unlearn all the old relationship rules I knew and learn a whole new set, in fact I am still learning and I have to be careful not to fall back into my old mindset. Like last time he was over, he was late and I was a little upset dinner was spoilt so now he has told me not to cook for him this time even though he knows I have got the food already, now my NT mindset feels snubbed and hurt but I know he probably is just trying to avoid a repeat of dinner being ruined! Just one example of misunderstandings that could cause a row if I allowed it to. It is hard, probably for him too but I think he is worth it

...I didn't turn into the person she wanted me to be. She just exhausted herself trying to do things to change me,...
This bit reminds me of the saying...
Guys marry hoping she won't change, but she does.
Girls marry hoping he will change, but he doesn't.

I guess that for older aspies like myself who weren't diagnosed until later in life the question refers to actual experience.

Deception would never have been my intent, however, how can we deceive when we do not know the 'why'?

My youthful years endowed me with a certain charisma, whether that was an aspie trait or not I do not know, but I do know I was pursued and chose to run quite slowly. Having read a few books now on aspergers I realise that I fell into a similar pattern of wooing a potential partner with gusto whilst sweeping them off their feet and dazzling them with charm. Then in, apparently, aspie fashion I would cease the wooing knowing the 'job' was done.

None of that was ever done with any 'evil' intent, I craved love, to be loved by everyone but without considering what to do once someone said 'I love you'.

So it was that I would go from one relationship to the next hoping to find true love and believeing I had been deceived, never seeing for one moment that I was the sole cause of my own loss. The accumulation of that over the years made me cynical, made me shun the very people that did actually love me.

In every case my partners would say one thing,"Being around you is like walking on glass". I didn't understand why they couldn't see I needed my own space at times, that I didn't want to go out at the drop of a hat, that work was more important than holidays, that all my promises were naught but smoke and mirrors.

How many wrongs do we do because we are what we are, each unique but bound to play out role laid down from the moment of our creation. Sometimes I have considered myself the half man half beast of fables, or the cursed soul wandering for eternity in search of love.

Now?

Ten years of self enforced celibacy following my aspie revelation has given me plenty of time to reflect, to grieve and to grow. No, I'm not cured, we all know we can't be cured as what we are is not an illness but a way of living. I have learnt to stop hating myself and to crawl out of the dark of my self induced exile. However, I believe I understand that way, that Tao, is no longer destructive to the people around me. At least I think that is the case.

Transparency is what I believe will make it work, my transparency that states 'I am an aspie' and this is what I am like at my worst and my best. A transparency that speaks of what I can be in certain situations and what I need in those moments. Moreover, a transparency that asks "what do you need from me?" with a soul-deep intent to fulfill it. You cannot hide in an impregnable fortress if you choose to love, because love will smash those walls and lay you bare, and in that moment if you are not ready, the only pain you will know is the pain of loss again and another heart breaks.

As a taoist I have always striven to walk the middle path of no extremes, as an aspie I know I am those extremes, sometimes faith is there to be tested, whether it is faith in some god or faith in oneself.

Time will tell.

I love this post.

This website has helped enormously in a relationship with a guy I strongly suspect is on the spectrum or is borderline Aspergers. He has never been diagnosed but he is aware that his thought process is quite different from most people and he has other ASD traits as well. He and I have a long distance relationship which consists of using chat to communicate as he doesn't email (and usually doesn't respond to emails) or like to talk on the phone (skype, discord etc.). We have not met but hope to do so next year (he lives in South America and I'm in the US.)

He gets moods when he doesn't feel like talking but doesn't always tell me, just stops talking. I have learned to accept that this in no way reflects how he feels about me, and just accept that he needs space, some times weeks of it. I just say "that's ok, let me know when you feel like talking" and leave him alone.
He always comes back.

Lately he has just returned to being his old self after being somewhat minimally talkative and more distant and less affectionate since August. Many times I have wanted to try and discuss this with him but held off doing so except for one time when I did email him how I felt. His only response was "I didn't know you felt like that. " I suspect he didn't know what to do or how to discuss this with me so left him alone about it.

My gut tells me he needs his space really badly and not to try and push or force anything which I wouldn't ever want to do anyway. So I just wait and force myself to be patient. Patience is not my strong suit and I am learning a lot about being patient in this relationship, XD. When he is talkative he is very open and very honest and we have a close emotional relationship. He is able to express his feelings but doesn't seem comfortable doing so often however he has told me he loves me and that I am one of his very best friends. I just adore him and just want him to be happy and feel loved which I don't think he has felt much if at all in his life.

So this is a very long winded way of saying thank you all for your help, insights and support. I'm not sure I would have known to just be patient if I hadn't read the posts on here and he is so worth that patience. The posts here have also helped me not to take his need for space personally. This thread is great and very useful too.

I’m thinking of doing a thread of gathering problems from both NT and aspie. I found there were a lot of threads on forum indicated similar issues: NT were feeling not being supported and cared enough, and Aspies thought their partners didn’t understand them or pushed them to do things they couldn’t do.

Maybe make a list of common problems, and maybe some suggestions for those problems? Just have a rough idea, and it looks like a big project…not sure how long it takes. Anyone would also be interested of it?

I’m thinking of doing a thread of gathering problems from both NT and aspie. I found there were a lot of threads on forum indicated similar issues: NT were feeling not being supported and cared enough, and Aspies thought their partners didn’t understand them or pushed them to do things they couldn’t do.

Maybe make a list of common problems, and maybe some suggestions for those problems? Just have a rough idea, and it looks like a big project…not sure how long it takes. Anyone would also be interested of it?

Problem down the middle.

Left column asd interpretation
Right nt

New Threads

Top Bottom