• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Marijuana

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is a go on medical marijuana!

Attachments

• mpp pa.PNG
    mpp pa.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 304
I agree 100 percent with Blue Chapel.

I am now 35 and a veteran of the Royal Canadian Navy and resumed use after stopping in my twenties with a valid prescription.

My social interactions improved exponentially and my anxiety all but disappeared.

The best thing about using cannabis as opposed to psychotropic medication is that the user controls dosing, timing, method of delivery and strain.

I have a question about pot. Would it intensify some traits of aspergers, like being overwhelmed by certain situations. Also not able to recognize people? Getting them mixed up with other people? Just curious

I am a 21 year old male who has aspergers. I take a lot of medications and they seem to work and then stop working for me completely in about 3-4 weeks. So I am trying medical marijuana since i live in ca and have been through a lot these past 2 years, and i have to say it really helps. I had two appointments with my counselor this week and she even noticed a difference. She said "the apserger's traits seem to disappear almost completely," which gives me much hope and i have to also say that it is working also as an anti-depressant, i am replacing one of my anti-depressants with this and i feel as though it works better! It just helps me enjoy life substantially better. I am re-taking interest in Golf, that i used to love and play everyday, now i only play once a week but i feel like getting out more now.
I wanted to post this because of how well i feel the medical marijuana is working and helping me deal with my symptoms. And my symptoms have been getting the best of me for the last 2 years. Until now i feel better, like i can participate in life more fully and enjoyably.
I want to hear some responses, what people think and if people are going to try this out!

Hello Cali Aspi! :)
I think this is GREAT to see here and acknowledge just how helpful it's been for me for over 25 years. My mind used to RACE, sometimes so quickly I couldn't slow my mind to function, but at about 15 years of age I started smoking Pot. This magic moment slowed my brain and for the first time in my life I was capable of clear and productive thought, I stopped reacting negatively verbally to over stimuli, and I was capable of becoming a voracious reader to my benefit. It was so magical and unexpected. However being the end of the 80s most all shamed me, doctors and therapists wanted me to go to rehab before starting a heavier medicinal regime. The Psych drugs never helped me, probably made things worse as I was always in a haze and not clear, then there were withdrawals from toxic melds. I was miserable under Drs care and unsympathetic families care. I fought for my life, and I have never regretted it. It caused great divides within my family. I was then labeled as a Damaged Drug addict. WTF??? I actually watched my grades climb, I found employment, made friends, was capable of functioning clearly. I now am an advocate for medical marijuana and have helped MANY low functioning autistic children. I have watched parents cry loudly at watching their children have their first "Fit Free" day, and many more to follow. I am a science geek and study chemistry and molecular biological neurochemistry. There actually nerve receptors that are within humans that only THC/CBD can bind to, suggesting this plant has co-evolved with humanity and has a much longer history than science and Doctors will admit. They of course "know everything" and we are only broken things to "fix"! I got tired of assholes trying to "Practice" on me, to my detriment. I found help, and I will never allow anyone to tell me different. I however do not smoke anymore due to harmful carcinogens, I use the oil either by vape or edible (which seems to work for 6-10 hrs) I still have to manage my quarks and put forth effort to communicate clearly BUT Medical Mary has helped immensely! I hope it gives you as much clarity as it has for me. Be well my friend! :)

My husband is undiagnosed Aspergers and now retired. He is now addicted to pot. He smokes it every night. It does make him talk. But also makes him want to argue when he is finally talking. I've wondered if the AS like the pot better than the NT?

His white blood cell count was up. The doctors did further testing and said "you have spots on you lungs - not good" the beginnning of the end. They said quit smoking or you will get cancer fast. The doctors told him pot is worse for your lungs than ciggarettes. He smokes a pack or more a day.

My conclusion - pot causes cancer to the lungs.

It is unlikely that pot is causing your husbands lung spots. If he smokes a pack of cigarettes a day, it is much more likely that the tobacco is causing his lung spots. The nicotine in tobacco is more cancer promoting that the THC in cannabis, which actually has cancer inhibiting properties. Here is a link to some literature about the difference.
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20051017/pot-smoke-less-carcinogenic-than-tobacco

There seems to be a few assumptions about medical cannabis in the comments here. If I may be so bold as to address those who see smoking it as a cancer risk, there are several other safe and effective ways to take cannabis that do not involve smoking it. I have not seen any research to show that it is as bad or worse than tobacco smoke if that is how you take it. I plan on taking medical cannabis in the near future for my migraines and fibromyalgia and have done an obsessive amount of research on the subject. Cannabis gets a really undeserved bad rap in the United States, I just think we should look closely and objectively at this as a legitimate medicine. Most medicines have serious risks to taking them, and there is no major outcry against them, is there? Consider where the prejudice comes from.

I hate to repeat myself,but I had been prescribed nearly every version of a psychotropic medication that they ever made to do battle with a traumatic brain injury. My recovery progress really began the day against my professionals recommendations,I flushed all of their poisons down my toilet and replaced them with medical grade mj.
I no longer take any medications other than a simple antibiotic.

Again,I need to add the disclaimer that like any medication,the results will vary from person to person.

I can only say from my own personal experience, so no disrespect to anybody. My mother was a drug addict during all of her pregnancies, any and all drugs, but her drug of choice was heroin. The first years of my life were very difficult, it was not until I was 13 when I tried marijuana for the fist time. After that I've never stopped, it has suppressed my ticks, rocking, and shyness not to mention helping me sleep at night. I can't imagine life without it now. Why would I risk some medication like zyprexa with its "side effects" when my "medication" cost $20 a week vs the hundreds of dollars for the pharmacy? I agree everything effects everybody differently, as for me and some others it's a benefit. Without marijuana in my life, I'd probably been institutionalized long ago, with marijuana in my life I'm a high functioning member of society who works, pays taxes, and most of all can sleep at night. It's my opinion the pharmaceutical companies would go out of business if I could legally get my $20 prescription legally.

I hate to repeat myself,but I had been prescribed nearly every version of a psychotropic medication that they ever made to do battle with a traumatic brain injury. My recovery progress really began the day against my professionals recommendations,I flushed all of their poisons down my toilet and replaced them with medical grade mj.
I no longer take any medications other than a simple antibiotic.

Again,I need to add the disclaimer that like any medication,the results will vary from person to person.
I totally agree except the flushing them part, who knows where that poison ended up?

I totally agree except the flushing them part, who knows where that poison ended up?
I guess a better way to describe my condition that day was one of being suicidal,where rational thoughts weren't my strongest suit. I am sorry if that offends you. I'm pretty sure it won't happen again ;)

I guess a better way to describe my condition that day was one of being suicidal,where rational thoughts weren't my strongest suit. I am sorry if that offends you. I'm pretty sure it won't happen again ;)
Not offended in the slightest. I only hope you have found some measure of peace as I have.

Not offended in the slightest. I only hope you have found some measure of peace as I have.
I have. I no longer take poison at the recommendation of professionals.

If you want,I can share with you my success story that is well documented in my final rehab's facility's website.
I went from an infantile state of being to a rather whole person again in less that five years and now do volunteer advocacy work for the brain-damaged community.

Have you ever been faced with learning how to walk or read again?

I have. I no longer take poison at the recommendation of professionals.

If you want,I can share with you my success story that is well documented in my final rehab's facility's website.
I went from an infantile state of being to a rather whole person again in less that five years and now do volunteer advocacy work for the brain-damaged community.

Have you ever been faced with learning how to walk or read again?
I have never faced that problem that I can remember. I was born addicted to hardcore drugs like heroin and it took my first year of life to detox so my walking/talking were delayed.

You mean to tell me I'm NOT the only one????? Yes, yes, yes!!!!!
I can tell you all from personal experience that marijuana does indeed have many benefits in aiding autism and PTSD which I have. I don't have access or possess the qualifications to obtain medical aid where I live. Therefore, I don't have any pharmaceutical prescriptions. The only natural herb that's proven to relieve my migraines and chronic back pain is cannabis. I use it mildly in tea. But, I live in Texas where the authorities want to hang you for just a roach. So, the illegal factor weighs heavily on my shoulders because I am otherwise a law abiding citizen. I'm very cautious and discreet in my usage, lol, except for just now revealing my "crime" online. Please......ssshhhh. ;)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom