• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Marijuana

Spiller Literally one joint helps me stay anxiety free for two weeks. I'm sure cannabis has far less harmful effects than what Big Pharma is trying to push on me.

wanderer03, having sampled several SSRI's - and now forever sporting the scars, been addicted to valium - and weaned myself off of it and flirted with alcoholism in my efforts to survive, I couldn't agree more!

I did a lot of reading before I ever even smoked my first joint and found a number of ways to imbibe it safely and effectively, make up tinctures, cook it into food.. dose myself effectively and responsibly.

I accept that, even in a tobacco joint, you still get the cannabinoids into your system, but removing the tobacco allows cannabis to have far more beneficial effects - maybe try herbal tobacco? I actually make my own for those occasions when I fancy a J, but I usually rely on a tincture form as it's discrete and doesn't get you stoned.

Yeah, we've just got to wait for those government/pharmaceutical patents to go through and legalisation shouldn't be too far behind, I'd think.

It is legal where I live, and I admit that I've been using it a bit lately. I had a very bad situation at my apartment and I was traumatized frequently and I would "shut down" and spend days on end rocking back and forth and sobbing. This led to me drinking quite a bit to just make it stop. I gained weight and was sluggish and hungover a lot. I developed some other problems. It never even occurred to me to buy pot until a friend from out-of-town came to visit and wanted to go to one of our shops. I can just walk into a store and buy it! It's amazing! I have to say that I have noticed that it helped my asthma and GERD (obviously, I wasn't smoking it). AND it helped my anxiety so I don't feel like drinking. I don't use it often or all the time. I just bought a little vaporizer as an early birthday present for myself, but I can't test it out until next week. I'm pretty excited! :tongueout:

I feel you, Spiller. I've had suicidal thoughts every day for longer than I can remember. What you said reminded me of this John Darnielle quote:
"All the self-destructive stuff I did to myself when I was younger was vital, and I did it to stay alive," Darnielle says. "So therefore it was all good. The only time it's not good is when it hurts anybody else. Short of that, anything you do to make yourself OK, is OK."

Last edited:
11822443_10153544436238958_3765364086782242276_n.png

Things stoners do for the community :D

I have nothing against the use of cannabis and feel that people should be free to make their own choice as to whether they use it or not. Personally all it does for me is to make me feel edgy and paranoid, consequently I no longer use it.

That is a wonderful thing to hear about Colorado. I live in Washington state, and it's been legal here about the same amount of time. From what I've heard, we're not doing it as well as Colorado.
We fumbled around for at least the first year of it being legal, and they keep making changes.

My main concern is that people who have been incarcerated for marijuana-related charges get released!

One unfortunate side effect I've noticed is that many small shops have closed and have been replaced with marijuana shops. We're losing lots of local businesses and everyone is too stoned to notice.

We still have medical places that will only serve you if you have a prescription, but I read that they're going to all sell recreationally at some point.\

Oh my god, though, the one in my neighborhood has these AMAZING chocolate things. One tiny chocolate and it's mellowness all day.

That's interesting about local businesses being affected, hearing a negative aspect.. I wonder if they've gone because they've been driven out of business somehow, or because they don't want to be around the cannabis scene for some reason?
Perhaps, as in Amsterdam, things will settle down in time, like businesses will group in their own areas..

I'm not sure if its an effect of the economic climate in general or what. Small businesses in this area are suffering in general, and there are a couple of industries that never die down: namely anything to do with sex or alcohol/drugs. I just noticed yesterday that a tropical fish shop I used to pass a lot is now a pot store. In the poorer neighborhoods, there are one or two pot shops every block, and that was NOT the case say five years ago. My neighborhood is the hipster neighborhood, so we have lots of poor street people, but also lots of yuppies. I only know of one pot shop, though, and it's open to recreational users.

There are some really odd restrictions, at least there were the last time I checked. It's changed a couple of times and I'm writing this off the top of my head, so my information is probably out-of-date. I just recall that they had a lot of restrictions on locations for recreational shops -- they couldn't be near schools or anything government related, so there was literally only one recreational pot shop in my city and it was in the middle of nowhere. Then they opened a second and apparently there are quite a few now. And soon they will all be open to recreational users. We're still figuring it out. I'm still getting used to seeing fliers for classes on how to make edibles and pot billboards and such. And going to the shops is WEIRD. You wait in line, they check your ID, and then you order like at a fast-food restaurant.

I can never understand why governments don't model their laws on places where it's been legal for years, like Amsterdam.. sure it takes time for everything to settle down when undergoing such a big change, but Amsterdam has it's restrictions all figured out, an excellent tourist industry and everything in it's place, so why not emulate them?

I read recently that courts in Washington are making the penalty for juvenile posession stiffer, resulting in more youths going to prison and having a criminal record - one of the primary reasons cannabis was legalised in the first place was to prevent people being stuck with a record, affecting their employment prospects for the sake of being found with half a henry on them.

Conversely, in the UK, where it's still illegal, more and more police forces are not only turning a blind eye to posession of up to half an ounce, but ignoring individual growers too, as long as they don't draw attention to themselves by dealing, which is fair enough - they consider it a waste of police time, enforcing something that isn't harming anyone and is kept within the privacy of your own home.

Why don't law makers confer?

Considering there's pretty definitive proof that marihuana increases ones risk to get a psychosis or a bipolar disorder pretty dramatically, I'll keep far away from the stuff. My brain is ****ed up enough as is without chemicals messing with it :p

Just because enough people want it a lot doesn't mean one should legalize it. Over here it is legal and I still don't care for it. And to be honest it seems like more people come here from abroad to buy pot as native Dutch go to buy it over here...

Hey RidingDutchman, do you have personal experience with it?
I would be interested!

Just my experience - if you read the information available on sites such as Clear-UK the claims of links to psychosis have actually been completely disproved over many clinical studies in several countries, which is why they've allowed it to be legalised in the first place.
Looking back in this thread will provide much information - I confess, I appear to have commandeered it as my soap-box, but only because this is important.
People always have to question everything!

Always!

That the argument keeps being trotted out - I live in the UK and it, as well as the 'Slippery slope' argument, are the two main reasons it's not yet legal here - is simply because government is waiting for patents, applicable laws and tax regulations to be firmly in place before they do.

Most knowledgable authorities on the subject give it little more than two years before it's available medicinally.

It must always be acknowledged, however, that what works for one doesn't work for another.. I know of people who have had a bad experience - I know of many whose lives it has unequivocably saved, including mine.

I hope to live to see legalisation in the UK and a free supply of my medicine.

Peace, my man :)

Last edited:
Hey RidingDutchman, do you have personal experience with it?
I would be interested!

Just my experience - if you read the information available on sites such as Clear-UK the claims of links to psychosis have actually been completely disproved over many clinical studies in several countries, which is why they've allowed it to be legalised in the first place.
Looking back in this thread will provide much information - I confess, I appear to have commandeered it as my soap-box, but only because this is important.
People always have to question everything!

Always!

That the argument keeps being trotted out - I live in the UK and it, as well as the 'Slippery slope' argument, are the two main reasons it's not yet legal here - is simply because government is waiting for patents, applicable laws and tax regulations to be firmly in place before they do.

Most knowledgable authorities on the subject give it little more than two years before it's available medicinally.

It must always be acknowledged, however, that what works for one doesn't work for another.. I know of people who have had a bad experience - I know of many whose lives it has unequivocably saved, including mine.

I hope to live to see legalisation in the UK and a free supply of my medicine.

Peace, my man :)
I don't have any personal experience with it because I refuse to try it.

I do however have experience secondhand. I am currently an intern in a psychiatric setting and through this i hear a lot of stories from clients with psychosis and personality disorders. Many of them have used it in the past, a few of them claim that it lessens their symptoms but an overwhelming majority says they won't ever touch the stuff when they aren't feeling well because it makes their symptoms a whole lot worse.

So it is probably a very personal thing but I'd rather not find out that it has any averse side effects for me. And aside from that I see no reason to start using it, to me it doesn't really have benefits, I like my clean lungs and I'm way too Dutch (read cheap) to invest money in something like that.

Knew I'd find it: Does smoking cannabis make you schizophrenic or make your brain smaller?

I do like to be able to provide factual references.

An excellent article sorting the propagana from the truth, focusing on two of the main fallacious arguments which maintain the illegal status of this medicine.

I haven't stated for a while - so I reiterate now:

Cannabis is not for everyone and it doesn't work for everyone.
As with any medicine, treat with caution!

Knew I'd find it: Does smoking cannabis make you schizophrenic or make your brain smaller?

I do like to be able to provide factual references.

An excellent article sorting the propagana from the truth, focusing on two of the main fallacious arguments which maintain the illegal status of this medicine.

I haven't stated for a while - so I reiterate now:

Cannabis is not for everyone and it doesn't work for everyone.
As with any medicine, treat with caution!

I do have to say I agree with your last statement, that it's not for everyone and stories like this (got a couple examples further into this post) just make me reluctant to try and find out if it works for me or not.

The one thing that rubs me wrong in that article is how it makes psychosis and schizophrenia very similar. A psychosis is one of the "symptoms" of schizophrenia but you don't have to have psychoses to be schizophrenic or be schizophrenic to develop psychoses. The article makes it seem like a similar thing

I asked a couple clients yesterday and two of them are absolutely sure that smoking cannabis gave them a psychosis, one of them got his first psychosis during his first marihuana high and the other tried using pot while he was under treatment for schizophrenia. His medication was working really well and he was stable for 9 months or so, as soon as he started using it he developed a new paranoid psychosis within a week.

So no offense but I really value those statements more as a couple studies done by people I don't know.

But I'm pretty sure this is an argument that will lead nowhere, so I'm going to end it here. My point has been made, do with it whatever you want.

Limonene was found to increase serotonin in the prefrontal cortex and dopamine in the hippocampus region of the brain — both of which help fend-off depression and feelings of stress.

Here's a good article on uses of cannabis through history, fact filled and interesting.. I'm keen myself on the positive effect it has on depression and anxiety.

http://www.theusefulin.com/2015/09/cannabis-most-important-vegetable-on.html

It's too expensive to juice a raw plant at the moment- even if you could actually buy a whole one off your local street dealer, so this method will have to wait till it's legal to grow it yourself where you are, but it's still very effective in tincture or vapourised form.

The two intro paragraphs were interesting:

Approximately 106,000 Americans die yearly from prescribed medications, according to the American Medical Association. Even more frightening, preventable medical errors account for a staggering 400,000 deaths in the U.S. each year — and is considered the 3rd leading cause of death. “It’s equivalent to 2,000 commercial jets taking off each year knowing that they don’t have enough fuel to complete their journeys,” notes Peter Edelstein M.D. “Would you allow your spouse to board one of those planes? Your friend? A stranger?”

This in comparison to nil deaths ever with cannabis - it's impossible to overdose and there are no harmful side effects.

News from the battle front in the good old USA :)

Earlier today, the Pennsylvania House passed a medical marijuana bill that mirrors what the state Senate passed 10 months ago.

As such, Pennsylvania will soon become the 24th state to legalize medical marijuana!

They are making it available to persons on the autism spectrum among many other issues that made the cut.

More details will be available by May of this year,but the good news is that they have finally made a decision to move forward instead of the usual stalling that has the greatest issue in the past.

Once again,it is necessary to post that this is not for everyone,but if it helps a few,it is a winner!

New Threads

Top Bottom