• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you "not normal"?

Do feel as if I am sometimes the odd person out. My early interests in LOTR and fossils and books continually kept me isolated and unwilling to be part of the group. Do like sports, but not competitive ones, things like cycling, gymnastics, running, hiking and swimming were all personal competitions. My father taught me to box, to defend myself, and I later took up tau kwon do to keep in shape.

Yet most of the things I became involved with were my choice, outside of popular culture, although there was a time when popular music appealed. Suppose it was more a question of my not being interested in many of the fads that came and went, rather than a purposeful desire to not fit in.

I love the LOTR. Maybe not as into it as you are, but I've read the Silmarillion 3 times. That has to count for something.

I just do my own thing, with little concern for what's trendy.

I don't own a TV. I've never seen Game of Thrones, reality TV, etc. I did not read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I have never tried sushi, nor do I plan to. I don't own a pair of Crocs or Ugg boots. I don't really know who the current film and music stars are. I don't drink coffee, cola, or anything carbonated.

I enthusiastically like what I like, but I prefer interests unrelated to what is trending.

Why would I want to follow the crowd, when I'm perfectly capable of finding my own passions? :)

You should read The Girl With The Drafon Tattoo , pretty cool book and Lisbeth Salander is a very interesting character.

I'm a little too interested in autism and Tourette's because I have both and that's all I ever talk about at the moment. I'm also too interested in computer games and a lot of my family sees that as weird.

I'm usually about 6 months behind on popular music, I don't like Katie Price, the Kardashians or Cheryl Cole... the list goes on but you get the idea.

Believe me, that doesn't make you weird! That makes you one of the few normal people in my book!

Before I start I want to make it clear this is not necessarily about the difference between Aspie and NT. I was only diagnosed fairly recently and wanted to see if a certain behavioural trait of mine is common amongst other aspies.

So, here in the UK, like many places in the world, there are a number of "social norms" and conventions that people follow, participate in or enjoy. I've always been acutely aware that I rarely fit in with the majority here and often align my preferences with other cultures of fringe groups. Since learning of my diagnosis I'm wondering if that is because:

a) I struggle to understand social norms so subconsciously adopt opposing traits or behaviours to avoid having to interact with others;

b) I am attracted to opposing social norms because I subconsciously want people to be aware that I am different to them without spelling it out;

c) I just genuinely don't buy into all the crap and do my own thing.

Just wondered if you guys had experienced anything similar and what your thoughts were on the subject.

For example...

I live in England but I do not identify as 'English' and rarely as 'British'.

People here drink hot tea, with milk and sugar - or coffee. I don't drink tea or coffee at all, but on the rare occasion I will have a green tea with lemon if I have a cold or something.

People still measure themselves in feet and inches and weigh themselves in stone. I can't wrap my head around it so I just use metric for everything.

I don't really enjoy popular tv shows (such as soaps, XFactor, dramas, etc) and I prefer to watch obscure programmes from other countries, sometimes in other languages.

I'm vegetarian, I don't like curry, I don't drink alcohol, I prefer LIDL/ALDI or artisan brands to well-known brands and stores, I'm usually about 6 months behind on popular music, I don't like Katie Price, the Kardashians or Cheryl Cole... the list goes on but you get the idea.

Define "normal"?! Contrary to popular belief, Neurodiverse people are just as "normal" as NTs IMO.

I don't play video games.
I don't have an iphone, I don't use the internet on my phone.
I rarely take photos.
I know nothing about TV/pop culture, pop music, celebrities, soap operas, etc.
I'm female. I don't own a handbag or high heeled shoes, a dress or a skirt, or makeup. I don't wear jewellery.

I rarely take photos.
I'm female. I don't own a handbag or high heeled shoes, a dress or a skirt, or makeup. I don't wear jewellery.

An Aspies dream girl.

I rarely take photos.

Don't worry because you're on the right track, you were born in this way. And then I see that you listen to Pink Floyd :) I like them too. ❤️

Normal is a bad word!:smilingimp:
Or rather, just because it's not normal for someone else doesn't mean it's not normal for me. Everyone has or should have their own personal "normal".

New Threads

Top Bottom