• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there textures you can't bear to touch?

I really really hate the feel of soapy dishwater, so I always wear rubber gloves when I do the dishes. In fact I can't stand the way dishwashing liquid feels, even when it's that Palmolive stuff. You'll never *me* soaking my hands in it. It's hard to believe that when I was a kid my mom would sometimes use it when my brother or I wanted to take a bubble bath instead of just buying actual bubble bath.

Slimy food in water or on dishes when washing dishes.

Dried up food stains.

Soggy food.

Booger or saliva textures.

Bubbly whip cream.

Chewy fat (food).

Sticky hands.

Dried up butt towels.

Bugs crawling on me.

ESPECIALLY SPIDER WEBS (I was afraid to touch them when I was little.)

I'll come back later when I think of more.

Last edited:
Certain fabrics feel horrible to me. I’m one of those people that feel the fabric briefly before buying any clothes.

Same for wool. I hate wool.

Not a big fan of peas, beans and rice. I’m not sure if it’s the look, taste or the texture but they gross me out to the point of feeling physically sick.

Certain types of surfaces, I feel the same regarding fabric types. I don’t like the texture of tiles or certain woods and carpets.

I am 57 and for me taking a shower is tough, The water hitting my skin makes me cry and makes my skin crawl as does wind in weather at 60 degrees Fahrenheit and below. There are very few types of clothing that I can wear, soft loose fitting cotton with no tags is best. I even have to wear loose fitting shoes with the laces very loosely tied as a tight fit on my feet makes the tops of them hurt severely. Onions and garlic are out as just being in the same room when they are being cooked makes my eyes and throat burn. I have to lay down at least two times a day with my eyes covered and even then I see bright lights and colors flashing. Even now as I am typing this I have a hard time with the light. I do better at night during the warmer seasons than at any other time. I also have geographical dyslexia so I have to be with someone in unfamiliar places or I lose my bearings. I have to wear -30 decibel hearing protection just to go to the grocery store. I have always had some of these problems but they didn't start getting really bad until about 12 years ago when I went through "Midlife Autistic Breakdown" caused by living my whole life without knowing I have hfASD like I was NT.

Slimy
Cold Air Blowing In My Face
Dried Food
Mold
SpiderWebs (I used to be afraid of the web when I was little because of this, rather than the spider. I know. It's weird..)

- Greasy things, for example the bottle of olive oil that is in the cupboard. The outside of it is all greasy as well so i get grease all over my hands if i touch it :eek:

- Slimy foods, like raw chicken that is all slimy. It's alright if it's covered in breadcrumbs and my fingers are covered in breadcrumbs too, then that's a different texture.

- Rough scratchy things like sandpaper and stuff like that with that rough texture

- I'm not quite sure how to explain this one, but you know those materials like velvet that are soft when you run your finger over it one way (I like those textures), but when you run your finger in the opposite direction, you don't get a soft texture, it's a horrible texture that's different?! I can't stand that.
Didn't explain that very well, sorry :eek:

I dislike handling raw chicken, and nearly puke if I have to pull out the innards. Same with turkey. I can do it, but have to dissociate my mind from what I am doing. Also, cleaning up cat puke!

I dislike handling raw chicken, and nearly puke if I have to pull out the innards. Same with turkey. I can do it, but have to dissociate my mind from what I am doing. Also, cleaning up cat puke!
Same with fish innards, I can't do it at all. It makes me gag.

Grit under my computer mouse. A stone in my boot treads.

I have an ironic one, because I love sushi. I love it. But sashimi is just the wrong texture to eat.

I have a strong cringe-y feeling from touching things that are dry. For example; those flower pots that are handmade.. I think it’s out of clay? Not too sure .. chalk, the sound of chalk, certain types of loose leaf paper. Anything that feels dry, or makes my hands feel dry gives me chills throughout my whole body!! I can not touch it without shivering

New Threads

Top Bottom