• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

any fiction books with an aspie character?

alien girl

can you think of a book where the main character is an aspie? most of those books are for children. did you ever read one for grownups?

There's Twilight, but I have to warn you that the character isn't particularly likeable.

200px-Curiousincidentofdoginnighttime.jpg
I have read this 3 times to myself, and two more times, out loud to 2 individuals...individually.
I supposed it was for grown-ups. I didn't look to see. Was a gift.
One of the few fiction books I have really liked in the past few years.

Christopher is the main character.
Reminded me of Catcher in the Rye.
Both narrators are young and feel at odds with/not quite getting...other people.

$%28KGrHqJ,%21hgFCIjjrsy0BQqmr8K4Pw%7E%7E_35.JPG

House Rules by Jodi Picoult. The plot is narrated by different characters, but one of them has ASD.
The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion. The main character isn't diagnosed, but the characteristics are there.

I'm about two-thirds the way through Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. So far I've read A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of Four, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of Baskervilles, and The Return of Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock definitely displays signs of being Aspergian.

The Rosie Project (Graeme Simsion).

It was about halfway through the book I stopped laughing & started thinking how I actually related to the way central character lived his life. Don is a genetics professor and has every aspie symptom to a high level (partly for literary effect I suspect).

Prior to reading the book I had heard of Aspergers, but didn't really know anything about it and this was the trigger for me to start researching and the more I read, the more the evidence mounted.

The Rosie Project (Graeme Simsion).

It was about halfway through the book I stopped laughing & started thinking how I actually related to the way central character lived his life. Don is a genetics professor and has every aspie symptom to a high level (partly for literary effect I suspect).

Prior to reading the book I had heard of Aspergers, but didn't really know anything about it and this was the trigger for me to start researching and the more I read, the more the evidence mounted.

One of my favourite books :)

can you think of a book where the main character is an aspie? most of those books are for children. did you ever read one for grownups?
One of my favourite classic historical novels has a tragic hero/anti-hero who I am sure is Aspie, and with whom I fell in love as a teenager.

He's a brilliant young man: an exceptional and diligent scholar, who has gone through every faculty of the university by 20; is socially awkward and geeky, but has a gift for nurturing younger children/waifs, including inventing sign language for a deaf child with learning difficulties; is obsessed with obscure (but exciting and, in his 15C setting, potentially dangerous) philosophical and scientific new learning and experiments, and can talk endlessly about them; has his own laboratory; has catastrophic problems dealing with sexuality and romance (not helped by a Church career that forbids it), having meltdowns, self-harming; tearing down his world around him.

He's Claude Frollo, Archdeacon of Josas, in Victor Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris.

Last edited:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine is branded as YA, but I enjoyed it (as a former junior high librarian, I can attest with at least some authority (or bias? whatever :wink: ) that, more often than not, YA novels outshine adult books for style, clarity, story, and enjoyment).

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine is branded as YA, but I enjoyed it (as a former junior high librarian, I can attest with at least some authority (or bias? whatever :wink: ) that, more often than not, YA novels outshine adult books for style, clarity, story, and enjoyment).

Lisbeth Salander is a very interesting character .

Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer. The protagonist is the autistic, medical student, Patrick Fort, who only wants to understand death. This turns out to be a complicated venture.
An interesting crime novel, which I will definitely reread in the future.

I just picked up Marcello in the Real World. Published by Schoolastic, but I hear great things about it and it seems more like an adult book. Haven't started reading it yet, though.

I just thought of Willy wonka,a character from the broons cartoon strip and annual Horace broon QUOTE="alien girl, post: 49375, member: 775"]can you think of a book where the main character is an aspie? most of those books are for children. did you ever read one for grownups?[/QUOTE]

I need to read all of these.

Not books but series, I would say Sheldon Cooper, Dr Spock, Commander Data, Dr Brennan from Bones and Sherlock Holmes.

New Threads

Top Bottom