• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your obsessions when you were a child? (Or your child's obsessions?)

I have had a lot of obsessions and they change at times. My main obsession is (and always has been) machines. I love machines! As a kid, I was always taking things apart to see how they worked. The machine in my avatar is a good example. I could entertain myself for weeks, tinkering with that one. If I could get at it, it's fenced in. I have taken a lot of things apart, just to satisfy my curiosity.

When I was about 2, I was obsessed with dinosaurs and Jurassic Park to the point where I'd recite the names of every dinosaur species that I knew and not say anything else; and watch Jurassic Park every day.

Also, my lifelone fascination with books, writing novels and stories began shortly afterwards.

My ambition is to become a successful author and I still love dinosaurs and Jurassic Park. :D

Buttons... I collected all manner of buttons.
Scented erasers ...they had to be scented, nothing else would do.
Birds of Prey - I even took a falconry course.
Disney - I lived and breathed it.
Tintin.
Poetry - I read it, wrote it, copied it out.
Rutger Hauer - one of my person obsessions. I watched his films over and over, collected articles, interviews, posters, photos, talked about him all the time.
Stickers - had them everywhere.
Star Trek - classic Trek.

My obsessions, starting from age 2 and up were pretty specific...

1. Casper the Friendly Ghost

2. Scooby-Doo!

3. James & The Giant Peach

4. Beetlejuice the animated series

5. Pokémon

6. Harry Potter

7. The Powerpuff Girls

8. RPGs

9. Anime and manga

10. Osamu Tezuka/Astro Boy

11. Tim Burton

12. Walter Elias Disney and the Disney company

13. Howard the Duck

14. Raggedy Ann and Andy

15. Beetlejuice the animated series (again cuz I didn't love it enough as a kid cuz it got taken off the air and I didn't have it on VHS)

I forgot to add when I was four, I was hardcore into dinosaurs too and I liked Jurassic Park a lot even though it scared me. I wanted to be a paleontologist like Sara, and I LOVED The Land Before Time to DEATH.

I also have a toy obsession. I love dolls and plushes. Love them. My mom always flooded my room with all the newest, coolest toys, even when I didn't ask for any, so I'm used to having something neat or pretty to play with when I don't have video games.

And I always had my own little books and movies libraries, so I am an avid reader and writer in fantasy and I love watching and collecting my favorite movies and shows or cartoons.

My earliest obsessions were dinosaurs and the Beetlejuice cartoon. I don't remember much about this time in my life.

When I was in kindergarten I became obsessed with the movie Balto, which led to an obsession with wolves, since the main character was a (half-breed) wolf. Out of all my TV show/movie obsessions, Balto lasted the longest, because even when it wasn't a main obsession, it was still in the background.

At age 8, I developed an obsession with Pokemon. I watched the anime up through the Johto arc, but I was much more interested in playing the games. I've played every generation of games, but I've only completed the 1st.

Age 8 is also when I developed an obsession with anime and everything else having to do with Japan. That was my strongest and longest-lasting obsession to date, because it lasted until I was 18, a full decade, which at this point is half my life. Individual anime series I obsessed over included, in order: Pokemon, Digimon, Hamtaro, Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, Naruto, One Piece, Trinity Blood and Hellsing.
Oh my gosh! You sound like me!! I never got into Balto, but oh my gosh!! I loved Beetlejuice the cartoon too, and I have gone half of my life obsessed with various anime! Although I didn't know what anime was until I was 12, but I watched and loved nearly all the ones you listed! Want much into Naruto or Hellsing though. But I loved the **** out of all the others in your post here!!

We had a large jar full of 1 and 2 pence pieces and I would happily organise them into rows of ten pennies to make up a pound and so on. I could have done that over and over and it would never become boring. I still like doing it.

Making paper-aeroplanes.

Transformers and Thundercats (from the 1980's, not the current versions). Cats in general. I wanted to be a cat.

Rubix Magic (circles)

Pressing buttons. I went to a power station for a school trip where there as a huge desk with loads of buttons on it and I really had to fight hard to control the urge not to press them. The desk had sooo many buttons on it, it makes me happy just thinking about it!:D:D:D

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom