• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your obsessions when you were a child? (Or your child's obsessions?)

I went through a dino-obsession phase, too...except mine waited until I was 9. But, like you, I could pronounce the multi-syllable Latin names. :)
One that I have always stuck with has been exercise. A physical training regimen is not hard to stick too as an aspie. It became my routine. And we all know about routines ;). In fact a lot of people in the lifting community share my weirdness.
Hehe.

oh and saying "various different" was probably unnecessary

Silly computer ate my post....ok so coloring in coloring books. I have big stack of carebear, rainbow brite, my little pony, etc...coloring books that I use to calm my self.

coloring in coloring books.

As a young boy at heart, I do print out colouring sheets mascots from sports teams and colour on them.

And them pass them on. :D

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/kids/mascots/tigers_mascot_1.pdf

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/kids/mascots/tigers_mascot_2.pdf

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/kids/mascots/tigers_mascot_3.pdf

Division rivals of the Tigers, but still awesome if not playing the Tigers:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/kids/mascots/twins_mascot_1.pdf

Until I was 8 years old, I loved drawing, and I can draw non-stop from dawn to dusk.

I always have this nagging feeling that my parents do not understand my visual talents, hindered by my motor skills, and hence, I don't feel like this gift was developed as much as I thought I could achieve.

I used to always obsessively draw the same things over and over, since I was little. They were mostly animals or little cartoon characters- I'd have two years of drawing nothing but cows, then it would change to creating new planets, etc. All my classmates thought I was so weird, and I'd become sort of known for the things I was obsessed with.

I still do a lot of my little obsessive art-hobbies, but I've generally hid them because it's a bit strange to many people.

Well, better to keep on drawing... Who knows drawing could help visualise ideas into concepts?

Turning anime or comics into live form, though, needs both drawing and the technical expertise, to make pictures come into life. If I know animation was a competitive but fulfilling industry, and very few people can make it through even with mentors' support, then I really wish I can be one of the few, immersed in my little world of media. Haha

I got an Aspie friend who is really into animations and the media since he was young, and now, he's working as a 3D modeller. I'm proud of him achieving his dreams, despite obstacles.

In the childhood I became obsessed with the enthomology (I mean the science - not just catching butterflies and grasshoppers). When I started reading my first readings were the huge encyclopedia in 31 volumes and similar zoological encyclopedia in 6 volumes. I studied classification of the insects, their latin nomenclature, evolution and species origins. Also I was interested in other arthropoda such as spiders, centipedes and crustaceans. Catching live insects for further observations quickly became a part of a daily routines, the insects was the main theme of my conversations. I also created a kind of "home lab" with the several dozens of glass jars. My parents became concerned about such obsession and then we visited a psychotherapist who said that "this is wrong occupation for such a young child (I was 6 years old)". Soon after this my interest was abandoned because my parents became actively involved in it and I don't liked such an intrusion.

Other my obsessions were: 1) Garbage collection - mainly old circuits and broken mechanisms; 2). Interest to mechanisms which contains spinning parts - I still remember the "dry pump" belonging to my grandfather and whirlgigs. I also liked to disassemble toys and observe its structure.

Ah gee whiz, I've always had some obsession. When I was young I went through obsessions much faster... Let's see there were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Garbage Pail Kids, Ren and Stimpy, The Brothers Grunt and a few other comics/cartoons which all led me into my life's main obsession: drawing. Drawing was a complete disaster and made me hate life, but luckily I escaped that particular obsession a few months ago.

I suppose the dinosaur craze came from Jurassic Park?

I guess so. I can say Jurassic Park was my favorite movie during all my childhood (can't say how many times I watched it). I guess that since about 12 it turned to Greek Mythology and Medieval Fantasy (from Roleplaying Games). That led me to become very good on History during school, specially if it was about Europe. Tolkien Literature is still one of my obsessions.

I also spent a lot of time trying to learn hebrew (since my family is christian, I had to go to church to study Bible).

I confess -

My obsessions as a child:

Mandarin pop songs, because my parents spoke Mandarin, and my sister also liked Mandarin pop songs.
Geography and geology, particularly the rocks, food and spatial arrangements in different Chinese cities
Buses and trains.

Well, I think my interests are really weird.

I still like all sorts of music, all sorts of spatial stuff and all sorts of buses. I listen to Japanese and English songs, though I sometimes do listen to Spanish songs.

Farmer Grey cartoons. I used to wish that someone would invent some kind of little TV that would play nothing but Farmer Grey cartoons all day long. (they didn't have VCRs in those days).

Dolls. I collected them and just wanted more and more of them.

Animals. I collected them too. All kinds of animals. As many as my parents would tolerate. They called me the animal lady.

Monsters in my Pocket (whatever became of them?!?)
Transformers (1980's style)
Micro Machines (used to spend hours playing with this ship which folded out into a Micro City :)
Marbles
Matchbox cars - used to love lining them up
Lego

I used to enjoy building up vast Lego constructs taking several days to do them - I'd then use them in a game with toys like the Monsters in my Pocket, Matchbox cars and marbles bringing the whole lot to a crumbled-up wreck at the end a couple of hours later. Then I'd start to rebuild. Oh such days! Such fun!

As I grew older I used bigger (and more powerful) figures in my games leaving my Lego men in ruins much sooner. :bounce:

Last edited:
I loved colouring books & I still do. The ones I enjoy now are by Dover: they have more variety in terms of the images & are more challenging. Th quality of the paper is great so you can use markers without the page thinning out & leaking through or the colours bleeding all over the place. -They make a vampires one you'd love, Arashi! images (1).jpg

I loved cop shows & detective shows as a kid & there are still a few out there I enjoy occasionally. NOT the ones with actors, but the ones where a crime is described & they kind of take viewers along as they attempt to solve it. Even as a kid I was astonished by the often really profoundly idiotic things people do.

I was really into Pirates, Dinosaurs and Lego (though the Lego and Pirate thing is still there, as I am in the process of collecting all the vintage Lego pirate and forest men/medieval sets)

I still have most of my childhood obsessions. I was obsessed with dinosaurs from the age of about 4+ and knew all of their names, period of living/death, theories, skeletal structures, diets, strategies for hunting or survival etc...I collected books on them all the time, had board games, video games, cartoons, magazines, toys, figurines. I was totally obsessed.

I've always been passionate for drawing, animating, writing and music. Guitars too :)

Astronomy is one of the main obsessions along with animation/drawing. I know a lot of interesting facts about space from meory. I love reading up on it and learning more and just sitting outside on a clear night looking up at the sky.

I used to be OBSESSED with Animal Crossing as a kid. I spent hours on it everyday.I'd wake up and go on it all day until bed. My parents tried everything to get me out of the house lol.

There are also the obsessions with fandoms and stuff that most people my age have (I'm 15).

Here are some:

Around the age of 9, I was obsessed with folklore about fairies. I believed strongly in fairies, but I saw a lot of theories to choose from.

In my early childhood, I had movie obsessions: I sat many hours watching movies by myself and would memorize the scripts, complete with intonation, music and sound effects. I love it when I find movie-quoting buddies.

dinosaurs features a lot on this list I see. I loved dinosaurs too as a kid ... could name all the dinosaurs by their latin names as well.
Then it was whales and dolphins for about four to five years (I still love whales and dolphins even now but not as an obsession) and I guess after that is was teenage things like boy bands and so on. I was obsessed with trading cards for a while and then with world of warcraft (glad that one is over though met my husband through it). Now its sewing and crocheting and any hand craft I can get my hands on. Also baking. I love making cakes and decorating them. I give my husband cupcakes to take to work because his work mates keep asking for them

forgot ... my current big one is exercise. I'm always pushing to do better each day. Not sure if a good or bad thing but will get back to you

New Threads

Top Bottom