• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your first toy

Keith

My first toy was a diecast BMW given by my grandfather when I was just a newborn. I've loved cars ever since.

Some of my very early toys were a homemade car shifter, and also a board with pegs and about 20 real steel gears that meshed if I assembled them right, and 2 of them had a crank. Both made by my grandpa. Later on he built me a steel drawbridge with crossing gates and when you turned the crank the gates went down and the bridge went up. I also used to play with the bathroom plunger and imagine it was a shifter.

Before that, I didn't really have toys as much I used to tear things apart like old washing machines, TVs, radios, typewriters. I clearly remember tearing apart my grandma's old washing machine in the basement when I was 2 or 3.

1st toy@! Are you kidding me...how can anyone remember that....hmmm either Steel Soldiers or matchbox cars. Of course, candy fit in there somewhere ;D

Well, I can't remember my first toy, and I had a fair few, but I do remember I was pretty keen on a toy train set I had.

My mother is old fashioned, and believes that girls should play with girl-toys, which is why I think it actually concerned her that I played with it too much. She bought me Barbie dolls, Barbie assessories, pink convertible car, Barbie's friends, and a custom made doll house.

Unfortunately for her, I never found Barbie particularly interesting.

my first toy was a stuffed skunk (Pepe La' Pu?) I don't remember much about it, but my first toy I really liked and played with alot was a toy tow truck and a rubber skeleton.

Vanilla, about barbie, only real barbie toy i played with the longest was the full jointed barbie, (arms, legs hinged like a human's body parts, was "bicycling barbie" that even came with a bicycle, another was the barbie motorhome/RV camper, which I later stuffed all my barbies into (used it as a barbie storage container on wheels)

I don't know what my first toy was because I don't remember that far back, but it was probably something popular during Beatlemania because, you know, my parents couldn't be bothered to buy anything new for me.

I don't remember what my first toy was, but I had a lot of dolls and stuffed animals, and I also played with Duplo and my brothers' Matchbox cars.

The toy I know is definitely my first toy, is a stuffed little puppy toy I got the day I was born from my grandma. I still have "Little Pup" somewhere lol! I also have a stuffed bear I got for my first Christmas just a month later, who I still have next to my bed. :)

I can't recall my first toy, but I do remember my favorite toy as a young child. A McDonald's Bambi toy. Oh I loved that one. I was devastated when mom gathered up all of my McD's toys and tossed them when I was a bit older. Even Bambi!!! She apparently had no idea that they could be very valuable down the road, nor that I actually loved Bambi. When I think about it still today I am upset.
IMG_3292.jpg

Oh I know, my mom tossed out so many of my things too. Like I had the entire collection of Sweet Pickles books from the late 70s to early 80s. I have found a few here and there and my daughter and I have read them, but I would have loved to pass down my whole series. I do have a handful of other things, like my Rubiks Magic puzzles from the mid 80s.

Here's my little teddybear. It's been with me ever since my first day in this mess. It got stuck in the attic for a few years, then I found it again and carried it around everywhere. Just under my shirt at first, but it would fall out and get lost, with much drama as a result. But I'd always find it again. It was sort of a security blanket for me I suppose. It has been through many things, if that wasn't clear by it's ragged state. One ear got chewed of by a dog and I think one of the feet fell of too at some point, but I glued it back on.

bear.jpg

I can't remember which toy was my first but my entire childhood was spent with a massive number of stuffed animals on my bed. I had tons and they all had names and stories. I was also surrounded by books as far back as I can remember. I had so many I had my own bookcase. I still have one stuffed frog that I keep in my closet but the rest were donated to charity. I like the thought of other children being happy with those toys.

Well, I can't remember my first toy, and I had a fair few, but I do remember I was pretty keen on a toy train set I had.

My mother is old fashioned, and believes that girls should play with girl-toys, which is why I think it actually concerned her that I played with it too much. She bought me Barbie dolls, Barbie assessories, pink convertible car, Barbie's friends, and a custom made doll house.

Unfortunately for her, I never found Barbie particularly interesting.
I actually hated Barbie. I regarded her as the epitome of all that was wrong with current culture.
I had strong opinions as a kid.

I've noticed that in the case of baby dolls, in preschools (where the same toys are accessible to all) the kids playing with baby dolls were usually boys.

I actually hated Barbie. I regarded her as the epitome of all that was wrong with current culture.

I've noticed that in the case of baby dolls, in preschools (where the same toys are accessible to all) the kids playing with baby dolls were usually boys.
Yeah, I never understood the Barbie craze, or why my mum thought it was important that I did.

I don't honestly recall my first toy. However the earliest one I remember the most was a little stuffed rabbit. I remember carrying it around even when it became a rag with only one ear. My mother was kind enough not to relieve me of it though until I was ready to let go.

Yeah, I never understood the Barbie craze, or why my mum thought it was important that I did.

:D

---

As for my first toy, I honestly can't remember. I do, however, have a stuffed bear that was given to me when I was a year old, which I still sleep with nightly.

I think I remember my mum once telling me that I got a teddy given to me after I was born. His name was Mr. Grizzly.
He was bloomin' HUGE! :D
I think if I stood him up, he would be the same height as my knee, and I'm almost 6 foot tall! :p
When I was younger, I was sharing my bed with this teddy bear who took up half the mattress. :p

I had a teddy bear with a music box inside it

Imagine if they made stuffed toys today with a metal music box inside you could access thru a zippered opening
my second toy was a 1959 Impala convertible that was a stamped steel car with sharp attachment points and trim
I asked my mother one if I ever got hurt on it...she said "only once"

New Threads

Top Bottom