• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who here doesn’t have identity?

Ursus Chainus

V.I.P Member
I don’t have identity.

What this means is that I cannot define myself within any cultural norms. My ego is almost non-functional.

Identity is the part of ego that connects us to tribe and group. It is a self categorization.

You know you don’t have identity when it is hard for you to say: “I am (insert something here)”. We all have to say “I am X”. If you don’t have identity, this is what I call “nominal identity”.

If you don’t have identity…. Do you have a “comorbidity” of autism and ADD? (Not a big fan of disorderology)

Interesting.
Do you like your status of small ego, or disappointed?
I was diagnosed ASD / ADD late in life, but definitely have identity.
And an ego.
Having ADD Impulsivity, the superego seems to lag more than I wish.

No identity. I don't like groups. People can be quite pleasant to deal with individually. Once people create groups, it rarely results in any good.

167c1c9bbd1033e6effac0deee7de974.jpg

?
43f926fce0d5d4bc1f6b10504c578052.jpg

?
6a5a1d1d4c94464737ee884330e4c32d.jpg

??? :sob:

Pretty sure I have identity enough that people keep trying to hack and steal it online and get my credit card info.

I am myself. Seems adequate.
This is something that sounds like I would say.

It is challenging to discuss lack of identity because most people, including those on the spectrum have identity.

Those of us who don’t have identity, have nominal identities. It takes some thinking to realize that identity doesn’t really exist.

Gender identity is central. People without identity might feel non-binary, gender fluid or androgynous.

People may not feel like they belong to a group, but everyone was born by someone for example. So we belong to a family, that's an identity, isn't it. It's not something we decide, it's just life.
Being part of a family isn’t identity like gender might be. Religion is identity. Nationality is identity.

Identity is on a continuum. The most extreme identifications are racist, homophobic, transphobic, classist, sexist… etc.

A part of identity is actually identifying strongly (or weakly) with a group you are a member of or how you categorize yourself.

All plausible ways of replacing cultural identity that has a place for it but was never learned.

Very common in people on the spectrum.

I have neither a place that can store identity or the ability to learn how to identify culturally.

If that makes sense.

The introvert group is the main group I feel a part of, but other than that, yes, I have no identity. I do not feel like a woman, man, girl or boy. I do not feel like a neurotypical, nor one with certain other condition, as I feel that is debatable. I am not just logical , thinking and structured, but feeling, empathetic and spontaneous. I am not young or old, as by age and intelligence and actions I feel older, but for for everything else I feel younger. And for religion, between atheist and agnostic, as I identify not totally with either.

Sexually, I am somewhere in between heterosexual and asexual. For the Myers Brigg personality profile for a few of those categories I am on the border, so I cannot classify into something specific there too. I have no occupational title that fits me best, as I could do many things. I cannot even say I am disabled, as that implies I could not be independent and functional in most ways where there were no people..

Also, I cannot say I am generally a confident or shy person now, as that could be true and false, as it depends on the situation. And I cannot say I am the blue or white collar type as I could potentially do both and favor neither . I am not into any of the two political parties, so no group for me there, and I lead in ways just as much as I could follow, if need be.

I suppose there must some groups I could identify with, like the human race group, but I feel so different from people there too. So, I guess I am just an introvert for now, as people do not interest me most of the time. I usually do things by myself, as I am most effective and efficient that way. And I will put myself in the "person" group too. So, being an introverted person maybe is my identity..

Last edited:
The introvert group is the main group I feel a part of, but other than that, yes, I have no identity. I do not feel like a woman, man, girl or boy. I do not feel like a neurotypical, nor one with certain other condition, as I feel that is debatable. I am not just logical , thinking and structured, but feeling, empathetic and spontaneous. I am not young or old, as by age and intelligence and actions I feel older, but for for everything else I feel younger. And for religion, between atheist and agnostic, as I identify not totally with either.

Sexually, I am somewhere in between heterosexual and asexual. For the Myers Brigg personality profile for a few of those categories I am on the border, so I cannot classify into something specific there too. I have no occupational title that fits me best, as I could do many things. I cannot even say I am disabled, as that implies I could not be independent and functional in most ways where there were no people..

Also, I cannot say I am generally a confident or shy person now, as that could be true and false, as it depends on the situation. And I cannot say I am the blue or white collar type as I could potentially do both and favor neither . I am not into any of the two political parties, so no group for me there, and I lead in ways just as much as I could follow, if need be.

I suppose there must some groups I could identify with, like the human race group, but I feel so different from people there too. So, I guess I am just an introvert for now, as people do not interest me most of the time. I usually do things by myself, as I am most effective and efficient that way. And I will put myself in the "person" group too. So, being an introverted person maybe is my identity..
Being an introvert is an experience as opposed to an identity. People who share your experience are people you relate to but not really a defined group.

Although some people could use introversion as an identity and form a club ☺️

Tomboy
Wimp

Do those count as identities?
They could be experiences or explanations of experiences. They could also be identities for some people.

Identity is not an experience in and of itself. It is a self categorization that is shared with others.

The functional role of identity is belonging to a tribe. Tribe is the human survival method. Tribes have culture… individuals are tied into the tribe through tribal identity. This is all messed up in the modern world.

This is why we are considered disordered. Humans haven’t evolved into beings who function well in a social level beyond 20-50 individuals. (Tribe)

Think identity is a loose concept, unless you are very black and white thinking. Like l am Catholic male, who is Democrat who belongs to the workforce as a productive citizen. Where a looser concept maybe, l kinda of float around becoming what l need to be at the time l am in that place. A shift changer, somebody who fits into wherever for safety, or financial reasons, or to support their partner. Neither way is incorrect, it just is.

You sound exactly like me

New Threads

Top Bottom