• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which of the 5 senses dominates your autism sensitivity?

Um, there are about 6 billion NTs in the world, I don't think one NT not being able to smell mold on bread means they're all unable to smell mold on bread. Maybe your mother has a less sensitive nose. My nose isn't very good at detecting whether something is a little bit off or not, unless it's got a strong odour that says it's definitely gone off.

Noise, but specifically when there are enough competing sounds that they become cacophony.

Meaningful complex sounds, though, like music or wind blowing through trees is mezmerizing.

Um, there are about 6 billion NTs in the world, I don't think one NT not being able to smell mold on bread means they're all unable to smell mold on bread. Maybe your mother has a less sensitive nose. My nose isn't very good at detecting whether something is a little bit off or not, unless it's got a strong odour that says it's definitely gone off.
Why do you feel the need to single me out about a comment regarding my mother? Its not ok to talk to me that way. Plus, It’s obvious that NT’s aren’t as sensitive to the 5 senses. Even the neurodivergent vary with which senses have the strongest sensitivity. I just happen to have a strong sense of smell and it’s ok if you don’t. It doesn’t mean you are any less neurodivergent.

Difficult to answer. Probably the best I can do is to say it's a toss-up between my sense of hearing and my sense of smell. Either depending on some very specific things can set me off into a "fight or flight" mode.

I would definitely say for me it's taste and smell, and to a lesser degree touch. I am hypo sensitive to noise. Taste has been a challenge because anything bitter or strong, mushy or touching other food is out of range and I've always had a restricted appetite. The thing with light, at times it feels like it burns, and even with sunglasses on I'll have tears in my eyes because it hurts. Touch is irritating. As a child I was made to wear pantyhose and they were an instrument of torture. I'm also extremely ticklish and the slightest touch tickles to no end. Don't let me get anywhere near wool.

Touch is irritating. As a child I was made to wear pantyhose and they were an instrument of torture.
My parents told me that I would be happy in my crib or on the floor, but if anyone picked me up and held me, I would scream non-stop till they put me back down.

Why do you feel the need to single me out about a comment regarding my mother? Its not ok to talk to me that way. Plus, It’s obvious that NT’s aren’t as sensitive to the 5 senses. Even the neurodivergent vary with which senses have the strongest sensitivity. I just happen to have a strong sense of smell and it’s ok if you don’t. It doesn’t mean you are any less neurodivergent.
I was just saying that neurotypicals can smell mold. Having sensitivity to smell doesn't mean we have the same sense of smell as animals.
And how was I singling you out? You're the only one in this thread who said neurotypicals can't smell mold, which I pointed out that is an odd assumption to make based on one NT. I'm sorry if maybe someone else in the thread might have said the same sort of thing as you, I haven't read all the replies.

I was just saying that neurotypicals can smell mold. Having sensitivity to smell doesn't mean we have the same sense of smell as animals.
And how was I singling you out? You're the only one in this thread who said neurotypicals can't smell mold, which I pointed out that is an odd assumption to make based on one NT. I'm sorry if maybe someone else in the thread might have said the same sort of thing as you, I haven't read all the replies.
Who said anything about animals? Who said it’s based on one NT? And at least I gave an example. You just assert your opinion without any evidence anecdotal or otherwise and by talking down to me about how many billions of people there are compared to my one story.

Touch is irritating. As a child I was made to wear pantyhose and they were an instrument of torture. I'm also extremely ticklish and the slightest touch tickles to no end. Don't let me get anywhere near wool.
Ok, this part of touch is actually relatable, any close fitting clothes, just a pair of socks, is uncomfortable, normal clothes are fine, wool, definitely a no-go and yet I love my weighted blanket, I don't want to sleep without it. It's sometimes confusing to be me.

My memory of tickles from childhood is traumatic, as whenever I was down, the solution from my family was to tickle me (I was very ticklish) until I laughed, and repeat until I didn't show sadness, I hated it, I felt it intrusive, and a lot of other things and it was only on the outside I was smiling.

The more I think about it, my taste sensitivity since I was young is perhaps the most obvious symptom that I may be autistic, so I have to go with that. Although it's not that simple, because it's combined with mainly smell and sometimes sight. It's mainly the combination of smell and taste. Smell by itself can be bad, but it's far worse when combined with food.

I have an extremely sensitive gag reflex. If the texture is slightly off from how something is normally prepared, it will not stay in my mouth, to put it vaguely. This is very bad, because this means that sometimes when I order food from a fast food place or such, I will find out that I'm not able to eat it. Like when it comes to Arby's, there is one and only one way that they prepare the meat that I can eat (very thin). And I love it when they do that, but I can not eat it otherwise. Very frustrating.

I cannot eat the vast majority of what other people can eat to begin with. I don't know how to maintain a balanced diet, I do not know how to diet because there are so few things I can eat that if I cut things out then I have very little left. I have had to take pills to keep my weight down.

It's so embarrassing socially, too. There are so few places that I can go out with friends and family to eat. I can not try new things, because the chance of me then gagging in public is insanely high. It happened at a supper with my ex (back when we were dating) and her family (it was a restaurant, not prepared by themselves thankfully), and it has happened when other people buy me food and then I can't eat it, causing them to waste their money and I hate it so much, even beyond the embarrassing factor. I'm just straight-up complicated when it comes to food, it's too much drama for most people, I bet.

As I said above, I have issues with smells. I do not eat in the breakroom at work because the smells in the breakroom are just overwhelming for me. We're not technically supposed to eat at our desks, but I don't know what else to do.

Go eat outside? Well, no... because you see... I'm also extremely sensitive to sunlight. The sun is so bright to me that I can not do anything out in it and I get super irritable. I also hate the way that the heat of the sun (unless it's cold enough) feels on my skin.

I didn't put sensitivity to light at the top because I have little to no problem with indoor lighting ,which I see so many autistic people do. For me it is outdoors sunlight. It's also headlights from cars at night.

When I was young, I did tend to prefer sitting in my room in the dark. I do not think that was a sensory thing, but it is something for me to think about. The only reason I stopped doing it was because I got eye strain was concerned that sitting in my room in the dark on my computer for hours at end wasn't a good thing for my eyes...

I am sensitive to sound, but I feel like probably less than everything else. I do get super irritated with people playing music outloud on their tinny cell phone speakers in public. Not only because I think that is downright inconsiderate (why would anyone do that?!) but also because the sound is grating to my ears. I also have a lady at work who deals with some kind of issues where she coughs, hacks, and sniffs/blows her nose a lot and that is grating to me as well. I feel bad about that one, because it's probably just health issues and not her being inconsider. But it is an every day thing and I cannot handle it, at all.

After high school my ears started getting more and more sensitive to the point where I got discouraged from performing music. I don't know what the reason for this is. I will only play music now with earplugs. It is not optimal for music performance with others because you block a lot of necessary things for good performance.

Overall, it is taste and smell that I experience the most sensory issues with.

I hate tickles. I thought everyone did and that was what was funny about it. I hate unexpected touches or even expected ones that are aimed at being playful in a pokey way. Irritates me. I wish I could explain why though…I don’t know why I’m irritated. I’m just like, “stop I don’t like that.”

My tactile sense dominates my sensitivities. My skin has to feel just right in terms of wind, sun, and water and even touch. I can’t stand being touched unless it’s invited. What is your experience? Which of the 5 senses dominates your autism sensitivity?
Touch is my favourite
I love kisses, hugs, arm strokes, etc
But it is a struggle to find others who enjoy touch on a non sensual capacity
Touch is so missing in life and one of the top love languages
Even just a gentle touch of the head or touching the hair.
Lust and love are not the same
But if you are a loving and affectionate soul how do you get it in a deep platonic way?
Physical intimacy can be messy

Touch is my favourite
I love kisses, hugs, arm strokes, etc
But it is a struggle to find others who enjoy touch on a non sensual capacity
Touch is so missing in life and one of the top love languages
Even just a gentle touch of the head or touching the hair.
Lust and love are not the same
But if you are a loving and affectionate soul how do you get it in a deep platonic way?
Physical intimacy can be messy
i can’t separate touch from platonic and intimate.

I struggle with it sometimes.
But essentially sometimes i know the difference.
I know the difference with my family.
It is about whether they are safe people or not that you feel comfortable with
I don’t let my family touch me too often and if I do it’s quick enough not to be uncomfortable. I have a therapist that thinks he is helping me by making me shake his hand when he leaves but I feel so grossed out and the moment he’s not looking I wipe off his clammy hand sweat and wash my hands.

I don’t let my family touch me too often and if I do it’s quick enough not to be uncomfortable. I have a therapist that thinks he is helping me by making me shake his hand when he leaves but I feel so grossed out and the moment he’s not looking I wipe off his clammy hand sweat and wash my hands.
How on earth is that in anyway supposed to help you? I would tell him: no, thanks

I understand it might not be easy, but hopefully it will be a one time thing to tell him.

How on earth is that in anyway supposed to help you? I would tell him: no, thanks

I understand it might not be easy, but hopefully it will be a one time thing to tell him.
I think people assume they can just change my perspective or desensitize me so I can become normal. This same therapist actually said I need exposure therapy to get over some of my autism symptoms. The truth is that I just want friends, and a job. I don’t care that I am different.

People don’t handle the truth very well and they ask questions til I am forced to be blunt and say, “I’m sorry but I just don’t want to shake your clammy hand anymore, ok???!!!!!” I end up yelling and I don’t like when people turn me into that. I hate yellers. I don’t want to be one. But I just get so frustrated because they pick and pry and try to understand the way my brain works. How about…I don’t want the waters of your body being soaked up by my spongey hand because it will feel gushy and smells weird and why do hands get clammy anyways? Hormones? I don’t want their hormones on me like they are marking their territory or something. Ew.

New Threads

Top Bottom