• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What made you go out and get a diagnosis

Not all broken arms are the same. My point is simple, there are many people in this community that come here for support that don't have a diagnosis. Some don't have the money, the social support or they are seeking help. Some of them label themselves aspie based off of personal research.

I think the last thing people should be doing is drawing a line between who has and who doesnt. If people are here to chat and share than so be it, last thing people want to see when they need some answers is people trying to create outcasts of people that already feel as outcasts.

What's your suggestion? Formal diagnosis documents at the door before entry?

I agree about the value of having a definite diagnosis, especially as it can rule in or out any other conditions that may or may not be troublesome, treatable, or something you can learn to cope with. But if you lack the resources, what do you do?

If your arm is broken in half, you should still have a doctor put it back together. It would also be prudent to have them check you out for any other injuries that may be masked by the broken arm.

I once sprained a finger pretty badly, went to have it checked out. The doctor said , yes, you sprained that finger, but the x-ray shows you also broke this other finger. It didn't hurt as badly as the sprain, at least at that point.

All that said, I see nothing wrong with a little self diagnosis. I might still be rather fruitlessly treating adult ADD now if I hadn't followed a hunch.

Life is about self discovery. Asperger's is very subjective, most of the tests you can't fail. There were 2 tests that were about recalling numbers and vocabulary test. The test to see if you can understand facial expressions was strange. These were an all day event, 5 hours. I had no idea what to expect.

Life is about self discovery. Asperger's is very subjective, most of the tests you can't fail. There were 2 tests that were about recalling numbers and vocabulary test. The test to see if you can understand facial expressions was strange. These were an all day event, 5 hours. I had no idea what to expect.

I was asked by someone who was trying to get an assessment for ASD how they might be able to prepare for it, because he said he was good at tests if he was prepared. I just said "bring water and pack a lunch". My assessment was 7 hours total, 4 the first day, two hours a week later, and an hour a week after that.

I also had no idea what to expect, except that I would get a result that would either confirm or rule out Asperger's. It was, as you say, part of the path of self discovery.

I also am a wife diagnosed Aspie.

As can be expected, I fail to fulfill her emotional needs. Additionally I drink to excess to overcome my social inhibitions (not a recommended regimen).

Anyway, my shortcomings accumulated to critical mass and she convinced me to seek professional help. I have been seeing a therapist, but so far the sessions do not seem to be focused on remedial measures. I now think that I am just a ka-ching to the therapist and am considering moving (blindly) to someone else.

New Threads

Top Bottom