• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your dream job?

I wanted to be a professor, doing nothing but exploring and seeking the truth through research. And I don't mind the occasional sharing and exploring with other researchers and students.

I wanted to save the world from disastrous impacts! Environmental scientist and sustainability facilitator. I like to manage or director a company in this area. Or the Greens Politician.

I wanted to save the world from disastrous impacts! Environmental scientist and sustainability facilitator. I like to manage or director a company in this area. Or the Greens Politician.

I would love to vote for you in Parliament. I don't mind moving to Richmond Division to invest in your company or to vote for you, if I can - though Arizona/California seem awesome to live as well :)

I would love to vote for you in Parliament. I don't mind moving to Richmond Division to invest in your company or to vote for you, if I can - though Arizona/California seem awesome to live as well :)

Unfortunately I am not in Richmond electorate. I am sitting for Ballina and Page. I am surprised you know Australian electorates!? Aren't you from Singapore?

I am surprised you know Australian electorates!?

I like Byron Bay. Beautiful place. If I'm richer Wentworth would be awesome to live in, but I thought North Coast NSW would be great too.

I bother looking up to Wikipedia to know the different divisions/electorates out of curiosity. I like map-related stuff anyway

I wanted to be a scientist, just a lab rat, hopefully working in the field of genetics. I imagined in that field I could just do my work and not be judged by my crap personality. Turns out you still have to get past an interview to get a boring lab job so it will never be.

I delivered pizza in college and loved it, was very good at it (there is an art believe it or not). The face-to-face customer time was minimal, no "how ya doin? My name is rainman and i'll be taking care of you beautiful people tonight." When I was about to graduate college and lose health insurance I found out I was uninsurable except by an employer, so I took a job with the state university and thats all she wrote, as they say.

Sent from my iPhone using AspiesCentral.com

I'm rethinking academics. I'll have to go back to university and get my post-graduate work completed but I'm really not into working retail anymore. Either that or go back to working in a call-center. They make you fat but I liked the work.

I need someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing. I am so not in my dream job. I am completely burned out. I dread coming to work. The thing is I keep the job because it pays very well, I only work 2 days a week and it fits in with school (it's also paying for school). I see myself having to stay in this job for at least the next four years while I go to school. Am I doing the right thing? Others are waiting in line for this job for the pay and convenience. I just feel like I'm not working to my full potential and I'm not making a difference to anyone. I feel like crying because the job is so stressful and that's why there is such a high turnover. If it wasn't for the pay and 2 days of work and the job paying for school, I would have been gone a long time ago. Am I doing the right thing?

Why are you asking us? How would we know better than you what's best for you?

On topic, I'd love to be a software tester.

I am completely burned out. I dread coming to work. The thing is I keep the job because it pays very well, I only work 2 days a week
and it fits in with school (it's also paying for school).

1. If you are truly completely burned out, then it is likely to be to the detriment of being a student. It's more of a viscous cycle than any means to any end, i.e. an education. If your job routinely involves circumstances beyond your control you're probably fighting a losing battle on both "fronts".

2. You might also consider questioning your own perception. Ask yourself how does one burn themselves out on a job where your skills and potential are underutilized only twice a week? How does this happen, should you allow it and what can you do to the contrary?

3. Explore all possibilities- even the ones which don't presently appeal to you. Maybe you are expecting too much of your actual ability. That you bit off more than you can chew. What about finding a very different job that pays less five days a week without going to school? What is the true value of your own peace of mind?

"Success" is relative and often just a mask for failure if it is at the expense of day-to-day happiness. Do what is right for YOU and forget about accommodating anyone else. If it's not "the right thing" in your own heart than it isn't "right" at all.

Last edited:
I think dog walking would be my dream job.
Little people interaction but I get to be around doggies all day. How fun.

I'm soon to enter school for IT training, which I think I would enjoy, but I think if that doesn't work out I would consider getting a nursing degree and working on an adolescent psychiatric ward.

I have been running my own carpet cleaning business for the last 10 years, but my dream job would be a shrimp boat capt. or to have a small clam boat. I love being out on the peaceful ocean or intercoastal waterway.

New Threads

Top Bottom