• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the symbol for neurotypicality?

Ylva

V.I.P Member
A google search didn't yield anything conclusive.

But since they get to represent us with that godawful puzzle piece, can't we come up with a symbol to represent them?

Just now I informed my country's autism organization's through their FB page that I hate the puzzle piece they use as a logo. I'm sure my comment will be gone by tomorrow. But if they ask, I will tell them that it is not their place to define me from their perspective. I am definitely not missing a puzzle piece from where I stand.

So if anyone has a suggestion for how to symbolize NTs as they, collectively, look from your perspective, please post it in this thread. It would be awesome. And don't worry about whether it is correct to do so; after all, NTs do it, so it must be socially appropriate.

Like the urban dictionary definition, although I don't quite agree with it.

Neurotypicality

1.A disorder where "sufferer's" have nothing at all in common with each other - all "symptoms" are normal personality traits that everyone has at least one of.
2. Like a lot of "Mental Illnesses", this one has been discovered/invented in the last 10 years or so.

Don't get me wrong, a real mental illness is a horrible thing to have. By a real one, I mean something like Paranoid Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, or Major Depressive Disorder. However, more "Mental Illnesses" have been discovered/invented in the last 15 years than in the last 1000.

This is because of society's growing complacency towards high-energy snack products, caffeine-containing drinks, and idiotic television propaganda telling you what you should eat and drink and buy and do. As a result of this complacency, many people in society (especially children, as they are more susceptible to this sort of treatment) are now acting a lot differently to how people acted several decades ago.

As a result of this change in personality, more and more "Mental Illnesses" are being discovered/invented every year. Neurotypicality is just another case of corporate-paid doctors inventing a syndrome. Why? So that parents can have an excuse as to why their kids behave so bad, instead of just admitting that their children have been subjected to too much of society's propaganda.

Neurotypicality: you don't have it, you're just badly-behaved.

((I don't really have an example for the word neurotypicality))
And before anyone clicks that little thumbs down button, just stop and think. Don't like the way I'm describing neurotypicals?
It's the same way that's been used to describe those on the autistic spectrum.
Just think about that point before rating this definition.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Not written by me.

Last edited:
1484768656198.jpg

I don't think you can really have one. From my perspective they're an outside group. Outside of autism outside of ADHD, outside schizophrenia and all the others. It's a void so you can't really make that into a symbol.

Can you explain this a little Alcyon? What is the meaning behind the circles and what does the star shaped diagram signify? Are those nodes?

Can you explain this a little Alcyon? What is the meaning behind the circles and what does the star shaped diagram signify? Are those nodes?
That's the image on a plaque that the space probe Voyager is carrying. So that ET life will know what we are and where we live.

Let's hope that it doesn't fall into the hands (tentacles!?) of a species that considers it a menu!!!!!

That's the image on a plaque that the space probe Voyager is carrying. So that ET life will know what we are and where we live.

Let's hope that it doesn't fall into the hands (tentacles!?) of a species that considers it a menu!!!!!
It was actually placed on two of the Pioneer missions,being #10 and 11

It was actually placed on two of the Pioneer missions,being #10 and 11
I was guilty of stereotyping: I just assumed the nerd factor would be pretty high here and everyone would know what it was. I assumed wrong: even I didn't know it!

I do find it all pretty cool though...where will it end up?

But since they get to represent us with that godawful puzzle piece, can't we come up with a symbol to represent them?

Dom's idea is close. How about that godawful puzzle, but precisely 68 pieces pieced together surrounding a single piece that is missing?

After all, for every one autistic child, there are 68 of them according to the CDC. And that they are as much a mystery to us as we are to them.

Then maybe someone can make a new symbol for both neurologies, having made the point about the existing icon which doesn't seem to be universally appreciated. We're people- not puzzle pieces or any other inanimate, non-organic metaphor.

CDC Press Releases

Last edited:
I was guilty of stereotyping: I just assumed the nerd factor would be pretty high here and everyone would know what it was. I assumed wrong: even I didn't know it!

I was 12 when they sent the first one and remembered the image of it.It is pretty trick and has a ton of information on it that could possibly be translated.
On a semi-unrelated note,I did some design and assembly work for JPL when I was still a pup...I had some rather unique opportunities over my lifetime :cool:

Voyager. Ah yes...before it became "VGER". :cool:

Would VGER consider Aspies another form of "carbon unit", or something else? o_O

Last edited:

I got it

I took inspiration from the beatniks (daddio)...
My proposal: ■ (a square!), particularly one without any lights on. ;)

It can also be a symbol for thinking inside of the box.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom