• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is a source of positivity in your life?

Kristyn

I hope this is the right forum for this post.

I was wondering what are the things in your lives that make it have meaning and worth. I'm currently in remission from a major depressive episode (not currently depressed), but I can feel that emptiness slowly creeping back. I really don't want to let the depression win so this time I want to be proactive.

I was hoping some of you could share any source of happiness. For example, I have two dogs who I just adore and I walk them every day. I tried going to church when I was in middle school and another church last year, but it's difficult because I'm the only one in my family who goes and the social interaction is overwhelming with that many strangers.

My special interest doesn't really bring me too much happiness, just guilt from spending too much time. I think I spend way too much time on the computer, so I'm looking for other types of hobbies/activities to fill my time. Usually I am in school which is a good enough distraction, but since it's break, I'm just left with a heavy feeling in my chest.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or for you to just share what makes you happy :)

I usually deal with depression by listening to music and being to busy to worry about anything. I have plenty of school work to do, and whenever I have free time I spend it either reading or on forums like this. Essentially, as long as you don't have any time to think about it, you won't even notice your depression.

One particularly weird thing that I do whenever I start to think about how pointless everything is is I start imaging that I'm the protagonist in a tv show. This includes, but is not limited to, narrating everything, mentally playing music appropriate to the situation, designing intro's and generally making everything a lot more interesting than it really is. I don't know why, but this has always helped me with my depressive episodes.

I play with my model trains when I need some positivity in my life. They have been my "go to" comfort item since I was a young boy. This is prior to diagnosis, but I was using them just as I do today. When the real world is all doom and gloom and I feel the uglyness creeping over me. I can disappear into the train's little world were everything is sunny and safe. Mike

God. My special interest is the historic Christian faith. I love reading, teaching, and debating theology, as well as the writings of the Early Church Fathers. I spend hours with my face buried in books (including the Bible). I like to make Orthodox Prayer Ropes as well. I can spend all day making dozens of them. It's a day long prayerful experience and an encounter with Christ the Lord, and it brings me a lot of joy and positivity.

My story of positivity is about getting a second chance at life again. I draw on a rather unfortunate incident that let me take a couple looks at what is on the other side. I know that depression can make one feel hopeless and lost,as I was witness to the destruction I watched my own mother go thru.I'm not trying to minimize that in any way,so I hope you understand that part as well.

Try on a bit of having what some would consider a successful career and having your hopes and dreams removed in an instant. Spend a small fortune you had saved on being as whole again as was possible and start from scratch from nearly the bottom again. That really opened my eyes to what is really important in life,which is finding inner peace and not what you have gathered in material possessions.

My brother and I had a talk over the holiday,where he told me about the day he showed up at my home with a co-worker who was amazed at how well I was doing after my accident that tore my world apart. My brother said afterwards when they had left they were discussing what they had just witnessed,and he told his co-worker that what he had seen was a man that was much happier than he had ever seen him and very much understood why it was so.He also said he was kind of jealous that he wasn't in that same frame of mind as he trudged along trying to win the rat race that so many of us are forced to run.

I have been asked in the past if I had any ill feelings for what had happened to me,and my reply is always the same. It will serve no purpose to think about what might have been,when I have another chance to experience even more with my sights set on being the most grateful person I have ever been to get to do so.
You have no idea how long you are going to walk this earth,it could all end tomorrow. Make the best of your time here,because at fifty six years of age,I for one can tell you just how short it really is ;)

Aspie Central!!! :)

Christianity and reading the Bible. It gives me hope that this life is just to get us ready for the awesome life God has prepared for us someday in the place so beautifully described in the book of Revelation.

It also gives me comfort knowing that God is living in me in the form of the holy spirit helping me survive and giving me guidance and strength to overcome the problems of this life.

my support cat; mr shadow,my fishes,and my rabbits give me positivity when im at my deepest dark hole of depression,without them id be dead,im sorry to make a OTT comment but its how i feel.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20161106_5.JPG
    Snapshot_20161106_5.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 104

New Threads

Top Bottom