• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings and Salutations

ARMartin251082

Hey all!

My name is Austin and I have begun the official diagnosis process here in the UK. I'm still waiting for my assessment appointment, but have gone through a lot of pre-screening, screening, and have informed myself via copious amounts of literature (both scientific and anecdotal), statistics/demographics, YouTube content, medical studies, and much, much more.

Although I am not yet formally diagnosed, I am very certain that I will be, and the process to understanding this has been life changing! Since beginning to understand that my lived experience IS - in fact - not "what everyone else is going through," and that my struggles have a reason and a name, the wet, thick, wool blanket of shame and guilt that I have carried around for all of my life has been lifted.

Autism as a general topic seems to have become my most recent special interest, and I have dedicated easily over 1,000 hours over the last two-and-a-half months to researching and better understanding such. The only thing that is missing from my research is the input of other people on the autistic spectrum; hence, my introduction. My other special interests include German language/literature, although I have yet to parse out which of my old, abandoned interests have yet to be resurrected. I've heard that's what happens when people first realise their autism status.

I am 29, an American, happily married to my amazing husband, and enjoy being in nature (hiking, walking, swimming, running; wherever other people are not), reading (anything, although often German literature of the 19th and 20th century), and talking about interesting topics (not football, goddamn it!) with interesting people.

But seriously, why do football people talk about football everywhere, even weddings, funerals, christenings, and wakes? Couldn't we talk about Himalayan funerary practices or the harms of Victorian mourning garb instead? Ancient human sacrificial practice and its impact on modern society and in abrahamic religions?

No...? Okay.

I'm also a Sagittarius. I don't know what that means, but a lot of people have started asking recently.

I was also diagnosed as having Bipolar II Disorder, although this is being re-evaluated as I am as certain as a layman can be that it was a misdiagnosis. Time will tell.

1716128667758.png

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

Back in the days I was also diagnosed --misdiagnosed, that is-- with BP II. The special interests and excitement about a new topic can be easily confused with hypomania. One distinction, I think, although not sure, is that hypomania comes with grandiosity, (mild) delusions, and unusual behavior.

Then again, psychiatric/neurological diagnoses are moving targets and very difficult to pin down and subject to a changes.

I have lots of people who just want to diagnose me with anything, probably to put me in my supposed place. Your special interests sound very refreshing. The harms of Victorian mourning garb? I love the Victorian Era as it was an extremely tough time for females to make a go of it if they didn't have family money and or connections. Fascinating time to read about. Maybe you will start a post on one of your special interests here. Oh yeah, welcome to this forum!

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

Back in the days I was also diagnosed --misdiagnosed, that is-- with BP II. The special interests and excitement about a new topic can be easily confused with hypomania. One distinction, I think, although not sure, is that hypomania comes with grandiosity, (mild) delusions, and unusual behavior.

Then again, psychiatric/neurological diagnoses are moving targets and very difficult to pin down and subject to a changes.
WOW! just... WOW! What you said about the confusion of intense interest for hypomania is spot on, and one of the things that had made it hard to accept a diagnosis of BP II. I never experienced those delusions of grandeur (at least, not like people at the bipolar support group reported), but you're right - moving targets; hard to pin down.

Thanks so much for your response!

I have lots of people who just want to diagnose me with anything, probably to put me in my supposed place. Your special interests sound very refreshing. The harms of Victorian mourning garb? I love the Victorian Era as it was an extremely tough time for females to make a go of it if they didn't have family money and or connections. Fascinating time to read about. Maybe you will start a post on one of your special interests here. Oh yeah, welcome to this forum!
NO WAY!!! I can't believe that someone actually took that side comment about victorian mourning garb seriously! I'm in stitches; I would love to be directed to any thread you have about the Victorian era.

I mean, I'm just saying, if you soak clothing in arsenic, then you're bound to follow your late husband to the grave rather quickly, am I right?

Don't worry I never speak about football, have zero interest.
Here's the thing... I have NO problem is you love football. My husband does! He watches games all the time and participates in fantasy football. AWESOME! What I can't stand is getting all dressed up in a stuffy suit to go to a wedding just to stand around and have everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) talk *only* about football.

I once introduced myself to a few people and asked to borrow a lighter.
"Sure," they said. "Do you like Manchester United?"
"Unfortunately not," I responded, handing back the lighter.
"Oh.... too bad." They then turned around and continued talking amongst themselves as if I wasn't even there. They didn't even ask me my name!

#poorneurotypicals #soboring #sopredictable

You seem pretty cool. Lol. Maybe l won't soak my clothes in arsenic, but l am sure ingest enough chemicals living in the US.

Welcome, @ARMartin251082

I'm in a different position from you. But the difficulties of the NT world are the same, regaurdless. I personally am still working through years of habitual programming, due to childhood tramas. Though having ASD makes it difficult. Also having possible Alexithyma, from it all.

I like to draw and garden. Found music pretty interesting. Especially when you start digging in the realm of leitmotifs and the creation of emotion through music. Neither in which I am an expert in by any means.

But seriously, why do football people talk about football everywhere, even weddings, funerals, christenings, and wakes? Couldn't we talk about Himalayan funerary practices or the harms of Victorian mourning garb instead? Ancient human sacrificial practice and its impact on modern society and in abrahamic religions?

No...? Okay.
Here's the thing... I have NO problem is you love football. My husband does! He watches games all the time and participates in fantasy football. AWESOME! What I can't stand is getting all dressed up in a stuffy suit to go to a wedding just to stand around and have everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) talk *only* about football.

I once introduced myself to a few people and asked to borrow a lighter.
"Sure," they said. "Do you like Manchester United?"
"Unfortunately not," I responded, handing back the lighter.
"Oh.... too bad." They then turned around and continued talking amongst themselves as if I wasn't even there. They didn't even ask me my name!

#poorneurotypicals #soboring #sopredictable

I totally get that.

I'm not opposed to watching football or other sports. I just am not the type to go ballistic over it. And I agree. People are free to talk about it. But leave me out. 99% of it is players in history, player stats, and other things. I'm not interested like that.

Plus I think this comes from this always memorialized idea that American Football is a masculine sport. It's pretty well expected of you to be a fan of it, if you are male. Which irks me really. Like it's this 'Dude-Bro' mentality, when it comes to the sport.

You seem pretty cool. Lol. Maybe l won't soak my clothes in arsenic, but l am sure ingest enough chemicals living in the US.
Well thank you! I'm sure you're not too bad, yourself!

As for the chemicals... yeah, why do you think I left? 😂 No no... of course it was much more complicated than that. But I will tell you, it's a bit of a shame when British people bring up topics like that because they are often used to try and make Americans feel stupid for not realising something that most of us - naturally - already know.

But coming from the Pacific Coast of the US - where over 15% of the entire world economy is generated - I had better food growing up than most Europeans (including Brits; I'm speaking continentally, not politically). Granted... my mom is a nutritionist and personal trainer... And I come from Seattle, which has the best outdoors experience bar *none*. Mountains, ocean beaches, sound, lakes, islands, more mountains, volcanoes, rain forests... So actually I bet going there would be a real detox for most Britons! Especially after all the sewage that was dumped on the English beaches following Brexit.

Not to mention our fairly strict state (not to be confused with federal) guidelines for food processing and documentation for any use of any artificial substance. This stretches from prepping soil to harvesting; from washing to the grocery store! Large chain supermarkets (Walmart, Kroger, etc.) that supply the entire country do use preservatives in excess because they have to ship over a surface area that is wider across than London is distanced from the furthest greek island. 🤷🏼‍♂️

One lighthearted jab: The first thing Boris Johnson did after finalising Brexit was flying to the US to beg Biden for chicken dipped in chlorine because all the fried chicken establishments were running out. 😂

Welcome, @ARMartin251082

I'm in a different position from you. But the difficulties of the NT world are the same, regaurdless. I personally am still working through years of habitual programming, due to childhood tramas. Though having ASD makes it difficult. Also having possible Alexithyma, from it all.

I like to draw and garden. Found music pretty interesting. Especially when you start digging in the realm of leitmotifs and the creation of emotion through music. Neither in which I am an expert in by any means.

I totally get that.

I'm not opposed to watching football or other sports. I just am not the type to go ballistic over it. And I agree. People are free to talk about it. But leave me out. 99% of it is players in history, player stats, and other things. I'm not interested like that.

Plus I think this comes from this always memorialized idea that American Football is a masculine sport. It's pretty well expected of you to be a fan of it, if you are male. Which irks me really. Like it's this 'Dude-Bro' mentality, when it comes to the sport.
I'm a little confused... firstly, why do people keep bringing up American topics like football and preservatives/growth hormones? 😂 I haven't lived in America for over 12 years, and I left because I was very critical of the culture. Is this supposed to teach me to "Take the [proverbial] piss?"

As for American football being "hyper-masculine" and promoting a "bro culture" (which is certainly does), I would have to say that American football fans aren't nearly as destructive or hooligan-y as Rest-of-the-World football fans... especially the British. I think this has something to do with the culture of binge drinking. Also, American football is a bit more complicated and requires closer attention, so people tend to be rather focused while watching it until there is a reason to celebrate. Our "bros" might look different from your "lads," but they really aren't that different. That said... I hate being in a room with either of them 😅

Question: You said: "It's pretty well expected of you to be a fan of it, if you are male." I'm sure you're right, although I would actually argue anecdotally that this is more true for Rest-of-the-World football (which btw was invented after American football - just for clarity. I will now be referring to American football as "the first football," and Scottish football as "Football the younger").

AS FOR MUSIC AND GARDENING! I love, @Xinyta , that you enjoy being outside and learning more about music and the Leitmotiv - of which I know very little myself. May I ask what music you enjoy listening and how it makes you feel? 👍🏻 Thank you for responding!

That's why I prefer speaking with the women.
#PREACH! Dude(-ette?), seriously. I used to get teased so bad as a kid because I preferred playing with girls, and when asked why I always answered: "Because boys scream and hit each other. Girls wear cute clothes and practice their tea etiquette." Even as adults, I find women to be better conversationalists (men are, unfortunately, still held to a rigid standard of social conformity when it comes to topics of interest and personal expression), and will always avoid a group of men because I just feel so awkward and don't know how to contribute. Maybe that's something I should work on... Thanks for responding!

I'm a little confused... firstly, why do people keep bringing up American topics like football and preservatives/growth hormones? 😂 I haven't lived in America for over 12 years, and I left because I was very critical of the culture. Is this supposed to teach me to "Take the [proverbial] piss?"

As for American football being "hyper-masculine" and promoting a "bro culture" (which is certainly does), I would have to say that American football fans aren't nearly as destructive or hooligan-y as Rest-of-the-World football fans... especially the British. I think this has something to do with the culture of binge drinking. Also, American football is a bit more complicated and requires closer attention, so people tend to be rather focused while watching it until there is a reason to celebrate. Our "bros" might look different from your "lads," but they really aren't that different. That said... I hate being in a room with either of them 😅

Question: You said: "It's pretty well expected of you to be a fan of it, if you are male." I'm sure you're right, although I would actually argue anecdotally that this is more true for Rest-of-the-World football (which btw was invented after American football - just for clarity. I will now be referring to American football as "the first football," and Scottish football as "Football the younger").

That's on me. You know what assuming does. lol

But yeah. I actually was wondering what football you ment. Because there is Football(aka soccer here in the USA), American Football, and then there is also Rugby. I just defaulted to American Football, because it's what I know even the slightest amount about. But I am not surprised there is off shoot of it. So I guess I wasn't too off.

But I still agree though. It's difficult to be in the same room as fans of the sport.

Though it's interesting that you experience wilder fans. Though fans here in America still get pretty wild. Though I'd say that yeah, our fans here definitely don't drink as hard. It's mostly marketed crap beer consumed by fans, anyway.

AS FOR MUSIC AND GARDENING! I love, @Xinyta , that you enjoy being outside and learning more about music and the Leitmotiv - of which I know very little myself. May I ask what music you enjoy listening and how it makes you feel? 👍🏻 Thank you for responding!

Honestly it dependent of the bands, more than the genres of music themselves. I really have to FEEL the music to be interested in the slightest. With some it takes a bit to get a feel for the music.

Disturbed and Slipknot (the latter more than the fore now-a-days) are two I listen to when I feel worked up, upset, or just angry. It helps me work off that anger.

MSI (Mindless Self Indulgence). This one of those bands I had to get use to, before I really got the feeling for. Thier passive aggressive cynicism was what started resonating with me because of the personal hell of my life at the time. Though a friend introduced me to this band, which is how I started listening to them in the first place.

Aesthetic Perfection. Truthfully, this on was one of those I liked for the industrial/gothic rock sound. It was another one of those I got into, on my own this time, because I think it for my negative world veiw pretty well, and it was the inspiration for one of my many OC characters.

Wardruna. This band calls to me in a deep in within. I feel a sense of calm and a rising of my inner spirit. It feels like I am transported to another land. Surrounded by entities you could only imagine. Everything at peace. Everything in balance.

New Threads

Top Bottom