• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Do I Say To My Son About Testing?

You may want to consider talking to him on some level. There is the chance that if you do not talk with him about it, that he may come to think that you kept things from him. He is going to find out this fall once school starts. If you do decide to tell him anything, I would not make a big deal out of it. And as far as the professional goes, I am not the only one who has gotten bad advice or been mis diagnosed. Follow your heart, only you know what is right.

NLPers think dyslexia is a simple matter of trying to think about the printed word in a non-visual manner.

Last edited:
I have very little experience with children, but as a cat lover I found this children's book adorable: All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Kathy Hoopmann All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome: Kathy Hoopmann: 9781843104810: Amazon.com: Books

It explains the more common traits of Aspies in a way that kids would better understand, but more importantly, it never says anything is wrong or that AS is a 'disability'. If he likes cats, I might even see him showing it to others (even adults) to gain understanding & acceptance. I may do that myself, as I've known adult (self-professed) cat people who lacked any empathy or understanding, and even went to extremes to hurt me. My mother, on the other hand, doesn't care for cats … I don't know if I'll ever tell her, but at my age it shouldn't bother me anymore. Kudos to you for caring about & accepting your kids as they are!!

I realize that the first meeting has already happened, and my son is younger than yours, but we are going to keep it light and just say that we would like to find out more about how he learns and how his teachers can best teach him. My son already receives OT and PT so we are going to reference that, and just say, "Just like Ms. A helps you with your eye tracking and your handwriting and your balance, we want to make sure you are all ready for kindergarten." Obviously you can't say the exact same thing, but perhaps something similar, maybe highlighting that as school gets more complicated you would like to make sure that you are doing all you can for him. When in doubt, I always say something about my own childhood. "Right around the time I was your age, I had trouble with ........ We want to make sure that if you inherited that from me, we can get you help for it because I didn't have help and boy did I struggle."
Good luck.

As a mom of a 20 year old Aspies son, who was diagnosed at 16 and an 18 year old daughter. Aspies or not, I believe in honesty. I have never lied to my kids. As they asked questions in life I gave them age appropriate answers. I still have a solid honest relationship with both. My advice is be honest, answer their questions and just be age appropriate about it.

One again, thanks everyone! I am strong believer in honesty myself. I talked more with my husband and got him to understand that it is important that we talk about it. He just doesn't want us to say Dyslexia so we left that part out. Anyway, we had an opportunity to be on a short vacation with just and our son and I got the book:
Can I Tell You About Asperger Syndrome?: A Guide for Friends and Family by Jude Welton. I read it to him and we talked some. He seemed to kind of understand but mostly he just wanted to move on to his videos etc. I figured he might ask some question later but he hasn't really yet. Then after that I had an opportunity to share the book and talk with his older sisters. That went really well. And my oldest asked if we think she might have it too... It opened the doors to explain that yes, we do think she has it but they just stopped short of diagnosing her. Overall it seemed to be a very positive thing! Now we can openly talk about it and share things with people who are close to us and involved especially with my son.

We also have that book about cats and aspergers on hold at the library. Funny thing is my son already made the connection and asked if the cat had it too. LOL.

Honestly you can't really hide this from him.
I mean maybe you can but it seems like it would be pretty hard to pull off. Aspie usually implies high IQ and a degree of parinoia if I'm not mistaken.

I giving my opinion based on childhood expirience. It's funny but I always liked to go to psychologist.
I remember that my mother told me I'll play with a colorful cube and other shapes. It was true, I did IQ test.
I think it's same in case of your children.

New Threads

Top Bottom