• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your current obsessions?

I've been getting into Chess lately. Got the Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition game and I've been watching some stuff on Youtube (some championship games, openings, strategy ideas, etc.)

I am rather fond of ship's bell clocks. Their unique striking pattern enables me to know the time audibly and accurately provided I know if it is AM or PM. Very useful when I find myself awake at zero dark thirty and I hear 'three bells' I know it is 1:30, 5:30, or 9:30. Provided I go to bed at midnight or 'eight bells', it is either 1:30 or 5:30. At this time of year, it is light out where I live at 5:30 so I know 1:30 is likely. I know some would say get an LED clock, but I don't like to open my eyes and/or roll over to check the time. With a traditional striking clock, at 1:30 I would hear one 'ding' or two 'dings' if striking quarters. I would have no idea of the hour. Ship's bells are struck one ding per half hour starting with one ding at 12:30. 4:00 would be 8 bells and at 4:30 the cycle will repeat.
There are currently two makes of ship's bell clock on the market. German and American. German movements are fairly cheap and wear out quickly. American ones are strictly made by Chelsea Clock Company, and are the finest horological item made in America (possibly the only one!) Chelsea's will outlive your great-grandchildren, but they are insanely expensive. Vintage Chelsea's are just as fine as those made today, and are much cheaper to get (and even with the extra miles, will still outlive your great-grandchildren). I own two, one large one for my mantle and this small one for travel.

Attachments

• P1040971.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 238
One of my very old special interests has raised it's head recently, after spending some time with a musically-minded friend.

I genuinely think this is the only place I'd ever say this.. pipe organs. I can't play much myself, can't read music.. but I just love them. The sound.. the beauty of the craftsmanship. I've spent the last two hours listening to them on Youtube (my neighbours must think I am VERY strange) I think I'm fascinated by the mechanics.

The mechanics are just mind boggling - how do you even begin to think how to build something like that? amazing!

One of my very old special interests has raised it's head recently, after spending some time with a musically-minded friend.

I genuinely think this is the only place I'd ever say this.. pipe organs. I can't play much myself, can't read music.. but I just love them. The sound.. the beauty of the craftsmanship. I've spent the last two hours listening to them on Youtube (my neighbours must think I am VERY strange) I think I'm fascinated by the mechanics.

The mechanics are just mind boggling - how do you even begin to think how to build something like that? amazing!

I agree! You probably are a fan of the radio program "Pipe Dreams" on PBS, Sunday nights. I have also seen a documentary series about a musician who went around the world playing big pipe organs. I have not seen that show for a long time, but I think it was on PBS TV.

I've played a small one several years ago. It's definitely an interesting experience. Even the sound alone just takes my breath away!

Gah won't let me quote. I was somewhat obsessed with pipe organs as a child, as was my late great grandma who wanted one for her house, which would have been frankly ridiculous as she lived in a small terraced house, she had to settle for a smaller, though still rather imposing electric organ.

I agree! You probably are a fan of the radio program "Pipe Dreams" on PBS, Sunday nights. I have also seen a documentary series about a musician who went around the world playing big pipe organs. I have not seen that show for a long time, but I think it was on PBS TV.
I'm gonna have to look that up! I was watching some YouTube videos about one in Atlantic city state hall or something.

It has like 32,000 pipes. Crazy!

Some interesting space weather:
Elves captured on high speed video camera, along with red sprites. (Emissions of Light and Very Low Frequency Perturbations due to Electromagnetic Pulse Sources.)

I’ve been obsessed with the idea of making sure track 1 of every iTunes album is played and finished before track 2 and on; I had to make sure albums were shuffled and not songs.

I used to have the urge to keep that order arranged for an album full of nature soundtracks until I found mobile applications involving the same (or similar) sound options in a seamless loop, hence putting me back in a position where I can hear something recorded without digital details like how many times a song was played from start to finish & when they were and only you/I/people can figure those things out.

I tried the Amazon music app, but it works for those bought through that service, but there’s no shuffling involved. I’d want an app that accepts my made playlists and shuffle songs in one in particular and just through that not both it and the primary music app so I can be back when we had CDs and only people can remember how many times the songs were played.

Using webSDR websites and check if the signals emitted from Russia (Armed Forces ?) could be received from different places. Also looking for pirate stations.

I am very preoccupied with aliens and UFOs. I also believe that Atlantis still exists and that there is a thriving civilization at the Earth's poles. I am always theorizing about how I can get there and see it for myself. I once saw a t-shirt that was able to pick up a television signal and broadcast it on the shirt. What a wasteful, useless piece of technology! How about I make a space suit that acts as a solar panel and radiates a heat field around me. I guess if I use that technique I would have to go during the summer. Maybe I should build a transportation device that can teleport me up there. Antarctica is heavily monitored by the World's militaries. Why would that be if there is nothing down there but ice and snow. I am pretty obsessed with fractal geometry as well. Understanding it will unlock the secrets of space travel and wormholes.

Film photography. I used to be obsessed with photography when film was the only medium but I never got into the technical side of things, so until now I was unaware that slide film is a completely different thing than negative film, and that there are other sizes of film than 35mm. I am now trying to get my head around shutter speeds and apeture settings. I have acquired several cameras on the cheap including an old Konica rangefinder, a few compacts (the two samsungs are my favourite, I cannot begin to describe how much I love Samsung cameras and always have), a cheap toy camera (£7 from eBay) which takes really lo-fi pictures and two SLRs with one spare SLR body, which all cost a tiny fraction of their original price. I am using four of the cameras at once fight now.

New Threads

Top Bottom