• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Vegetarianism

jellyfish

the moon jelly
Is there some vegetarians or devout vegans here? How is it? There's a lot of vegetarian options now in the supermarkets, I don't know if I could go without fish and seafood but I could probably give up red meat and pork. I like chickpeas.

I am vegan
But have had a complicated issue with food because of childhood issues and illness.
I like vegan but I do not think it is a sin to eat meat but I do feel bad for the animals and have never been the biggest meat fan.
However I think limiting meat consumption sometimes is good but some people can get really sick when they cut it out because of the protein and iron in meat and I heard people say they have gotten very sick and had to reintroduce it.
And omega 3 in fish is really good for you.
However everyone's bodies agree with different things.
And I like it when people go vegan and vegetarian because it means less animals harmed.

There are lot of recipes for chickpeas. And you can stir unflavored protein powder into anything to get your needs met. Aiming for at least 20 grams for every meal is great.

Going V/V is difficult when you live in a meat-eating culture, or in a place where vegetable wilt before they can be harvested (if they will grow at all).

This part of the Philippines is like that.

I was a vegetarian for 10 years, ( I stopped in one of my failed attempts to fit more in ) - I'm thinking about going back after the kid flies away. You need to think a bit more about what you eat, to get the nutrients you need, but otherwise the only issue was when eating outside where you might not have a lot of options of what to eat.

I have been vegetarian for over 50 years, and vegan for over ten. I grew up on a beef farm, so I knew what was in the cheap packages after I left. On the spur of the moment, I made a New Year's resolution to find out how people could be vegetarian, and I liked it right away. I still ate fish for the first year, and eggs for two. I didn't think it would be easy to give up butter, but I was pleasantly surprised again. My resolve has been set in stone by the crisis of extinctions in the natural world. There are three times more people around than when I was born, but I'm living on 10% of the traditional land use.

Hello I am mainly vegetarian. I will eat eggs and fish on occasions.

Maybe try that first and see how you feel ?

Haven’t eaten meat since 1993. It works for me.

Lots of peas, beans, chickpeas, lentils, seeds and nuts for protein.

Tolerance of a vegan diet often is dependent upon one's genetics and microbiome. For some, and this is especially true of autistics, there are subsets of us that are missing certain genes related to metabolism (the ones related to methylation and creatine are quite common). Within this context, if you are one of these people, then you will need to supplement with a methylated multi-B complex, or creatine powder, depending upon your situation. Otherwise, it is best to ease into the lifestyle, allowing your microbiome to slowly adjust and allowing yourself to slowly figure out what foods you like and tolerate. There's a bit of a learning curve. Not everyone can, nor should be vegan, but regardless, the vast majority of people living in the developed world eat far too much meat and far too little fresh fruits and vegetables. All things in moderation, but animal flesh, is one of those things that will cause inflammatory reactions within our body that can, over time, contribute to significant health problems (diseases associated with chronic inflammation, such as cancers, auto-immune diseases, cardio-vascular diseases, etc.).

I have been vegan for a few years. It won't save the world. It won't even save all the animals. But it lets me wash a little blood off my hands from this dirty business of life. You can't eliminate harm, but you can choose to reduce it a little.

The meat and dairy industries treat animals like literal trash. The fear and suffering those poor creatures, our fellow sentient beings, must endure in those conditions can't be comprehended. I guess that's why politicians pass laws preventing the public from seeing into the crowded, filthy slaughterhouses.

Some will say animals eat animals. True enough. But I prefer not to base my ethical decisions on mirroring animal behavior. We certainly don't do that when discussing sexual ethics. I know I sound judgmental, but I'm actually very tolerant. My partner eats meat sometimes, and I make all the allowances in the cosmos for our frailty as human beings. Perfect is the enemy of the good. Still, going vegan improved my conscience and my health. I can only recommend it personally.

I’ve been a vegan since age 16. It’s primarily for ethical reasons.

There are certainly a lot of products these days that mimic the taste and texture of meat and other animal products (even fish). Those who are making the transition might want to start with those.

Bean hamburger patties are easy to make, think like making meatloaf, you can make a huge one, and slather your mustard, mayonnaise and it gives the mouth appeal needed for contentment. Bean burgers are one of my favorite things. Red or yellow lentils enchiladas are very dense and satisfying. I have made hummus using white beans, and really enjoy it. I still have to try some tricks with tofu. You drain, then freeze it, then defrost, then it will break apart like chicken chunks supposedly, then you can oven fry, spray with smoke seasoning, etc. I also have bought dried faux meat products which are actually very economical and easy to cook.

This is the non-meat product l currently stock, and enjoy. No affiliation with them at all.

Last edited:
I know burgers taste good and all of that but I don't like the idea of animals being mistreated and killed. When you've had pets and you think about them being hurt it just isn't nice any more to keep eating meat. I think I'm a vegetarian now. We have family owned farms nearby where the eggs are from healthy happy birds.

Is there some vegetarians or devout vegans here? How is it? There's a lot of vegetarian options now in the supermarkets, I don't know if I could go without fish and seafood but I could probably give up red meat and pork. I like chickpeas.
I have been vegan for 12 years.

I've always been a loner make my own path, never a follower. Who make the rules for what you can eat and not eat
I do not fish made no sense to me to impale one creature on a hook to catch another by the mouth and pull it out of its medium. So vegetarians to me seems hypocritical. A bunch of followers working twenty years I always tried different routes. My wife had no idea how to get to her parents place as I always tried different routes. I like change
not follow set rules because someone else made them So what is special about fish, where eating land dwelling creatures is not OK. I left the farm as I did not like some of the practices. One of my friends is a vegetarian he eats lobster his justification is they are insects of the sea whatever works.

Last edited:
I believe plants have as much sentience as people do. It is just so different we can't comprehend it. But science is moving in that direction as interactions and connections between plants are being uncovered.

Vegetarians and vegans eat bean sprouts with relish. I consider this as chomping live fresh baby beans between my teeth. I don't like to pull carrots from the ground. For some examples.

I have to eat to live. In order for me to live, something has to die. That is just reality.

Of course I don't want animals mistreated. But more options are available these days to purchase meat products that are ethically raised. Temple Grandin stated she thinks eating meat is okay because it has permitted that animal to have a life. If not for us wanting to eat meat, those animals would never be able to live.

For my own dietary needs, it is easier now that my husband is gone for me to eat mostly vegetarian and do that by preference. But my body tells me that occasionally I need more concentrated protein and then I eat meat. Or fish.

As Neonatal RRT pointed out, some people are missing some critical parts of metabolic pathways. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case with me. I have to inject B12 regularly because my body does not absorb dietary B12.

As Shevek has pointed out, there are also serious ethical issues regarding eating meat. That is another topic.

So, as others have pointed out. Take it slowly and see how your body responds.

I have been a "category 5" vegan since 1989.

Nothing from an animal including milk, cheese, butter, etc. has crossed my lips since 1989. I did not become vegan because I heard of it, read about it or knowledge of it in any form. In fact, I had never heard the word "vegan" before that.

I became vegan for a very complicated reason. I'm afraid that story is entirely too long for a forum post, but I will say that I had no idea the "process" was leading to veganism. I did not even believe not eating meat was survivable.

As it happened, however, upon becoming vegan I lost weight, gained strength and muscle mass and gained energy and stamina - a lot. It was quite a transition. I started feeling like I could run forever. At 120lbs, I had no trouble throwing a 90lb bag of concrete over my shoulder and walking off with it - repeatedly all day. Over the 35 years since then I have maintained that ideal weight, still stronger than before 1989 with still more energy. At 71, no arthritis, or creaky joint. no knee issues. Actually, no issues of anything.

I would say the Netflix "The Game Changers" documentary is a good illustration for how it has been for me.

I used to be a vegetarian, and ate barely any dairy, organic only and I was so poor we could barely afford that so it was very minimal. For most of my life. It wasn't great for my health though. My brain started to dissolve and I went psychotic for lack of vitamin B12. My digestive system reeeeeaaalllly didn't handle it well, either. My daughter also. Was vegan for many years, but ended up protein deficient as her digestive system couldn't absorb plant protein adequately.
The way I see it is that everything has/is consciousness. Death is part of life and consciousness (which is everything) never dies. Our Spirit consents to things our Ego/body-mind doesn't remember. We all, or at least our bodies, all end up as something else's dinner. So, no, I feel no guilt for having a body that requires other bodies for nourishment. As there is no way to avoid depriving other beings of life to continue our's. Have you ever seen a soy crop? So many other creatures are deprived of life for that crop to feed humans. Even cow paddocks can support way more diversity of life than soy crops. And even vegetables require animal products for optimum health. Like animal faeces and blood and bone. So there is no way around it. Other's die, or are deprived of life, for us to continue. And I KNOW plants have/are consciousness and that they see it as part of their reason for existing, to support and serve humans, at least on a spiritual level, they do.

My vegan son doesn't see it that way though. He refuses to have anything to do with me. In large part, because I eat animals now.

New Threads

Top Bottom