• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

University Problem: Arriving on Time

Not as detailed an answer as @FlowerChild, but I also set out as much as I can the night before. I set out all my clothes, my laptop if I need it, make a lunch the night before, and even set out as much of breakfast as I can (everything except whatever has to be refrigerated) - anything I can do the night before to make my morning easier.

Not as detailed an answer as @FlowerChild, but I also set out as much as I can the night before. I set out all my clothes, my laptop if I need it, make a lunch the night before, and even set out as much of breakfast as I can (everything except whatever has to be refrigerated) - anything I can do the night before to make my morning easier.

I wish I had done that before my first day of college. It was almost a disaster. I mixed up my Monday schedule with my Tuesday schedule. Stood around waiting in an empty classroom. Freaked me out too. Luckily I figured it out with about an hour to spare! The first day of class simply didn't start on Monday that year. Duh.

LOL...I forgot about that until just now. So long ago....:p

Maybe that's why I still occasionally have "fear of failure" dreams where I'm late for a test or can't recall how to get to the classroom. Then I wake up and remember that I graduated when Jimmy Carter was president. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am a first year university student and its a busy time of year, this is the last week of classes.

I'm really frustrated with myself because the past few days I haven't been able to arrive to class on time. Usually its an occasional struggle but this is too much:

Sunday- late to work by about 5 minutes (evening)
Monday- late to math by about 3 minutes (first class) and spanish (third class)
Today, Tuesday- late to chemistry by an hour (first class).

Emotionally, I really need the consistency/ sameness of arriving on time and having control in where I sit (my usual seat please!) but arriving on time is such a struggle. I think the hard part for me is just understanding how long things take, be it finishing whatever I was just doing or going from place to place.

waking up
getting dressed
leaving the dorm
walking to the building where the class is

And no matter how much time I think I should need I always end up needing longer. I'm not getting distracted in any of the steps. I'm always confused where the time goes and... I'm not sure who to reach out to at the university about it, if anyone. One of my first thoughts was that I was having a mood/avoidance issue but I never have and I cant see the symptoms of such a thing. I really am excited to go to class. I want to arrive on time.....

Can anyone relate to the situation? What are things you do to be more organized and efficient?

I think you might begin by taking a look at yourself and renewing your personal commitment to being punctual and present in your own life. Attending college, university, etc. is the beginning of developing a habit (and taking pride in) not just being on time but being early. This is about your commitment to exceeding the expectations. Print out your schedule and post in several different places. Create alarms on your phone to remind you of when and where you need to be.

Thanks all for your responses! To @Mattymatt , the problem is that I am committed! I am trying to make good habits. I have the schedules printed and posted. I have the alarms. It just seems like it never works and I am very confused. For the most part I do not think that I am doing anything wrong and its an uncomfortable place to be where my innocent efforts seem to be having upsetting consequences.

My mom is much worse than me, she will be 5 minutes late for an event 20 minutes away and start 3 hours of an activity before leaving for the event.

Also, I have made it to my other classes this week.

this is huge issue for me. I use repetition to help cope better--and even prevent stress. First, I developed a pattern for going to work. It actually starts before bed. I prepare everything for work that I possibly can--before I go to bed. That way less can go wrong. I repeat my work mornings exactly the same. So the time is locked in and even when I have hard time mentally waking up, I can go through the motions.

A important little thing is to be dressed and completely ready to walk out of the door 30 minutes before I need to leave. Then no last minute running around gathering the items I forgot. Then I can drink coffee and watch videos or read and relax--then just walk out(well my version of just walking out;). Actually makes big difference for me.

A recent change is getting to work 20-30 minutes early. I think some of my work stress initiated from a bad start to work--and I never really recovered. I always bring a book, study material, or podcast and just do it in my car until I walk in to work. It guarantees I will almost never be late--and I get a chill period right before work. I perform so much better mentally when I do that(Transitioning from one thing to the next has always been difficult for me). For example, I try to arrive to any class 20 minutes early. I can pick the right seat and be in the zone before the lecture begins

I now plan my life to go this way. I really think that AS people who have to pass or just function in the NT world need to work harder in reducing the controllable stuff. Is the stress and anxiety from being late the same as a meltdown? No it is not standing next to that horrible hairdryer at 24 hour fitness. But I really do believe that the elevated stress level from being late to work might make my facial expressions categorically worse, or have a 30% harder time following a conversation etc.

I really have to survive in an NT world. Not easy. So I've just accepted that fact that I will have to work 20-50% harder than the NT person to succeed. Things like arriving 20 minutes early may be necessary. It sucks--but it beats the alternative!!

I relate so much with this problem. I've been struggling with punctuality my entire life.

I bought Hue lightbulbs that automatically come on at any time I set. I use them to help me get up in the morning. Then I have several alarms set on my iPad throughout the morning, all with different songs. The different songs serve as cues to help me realize the time as I'm getting ready for work.

I choose all my clothes the night before. I make sure everything is in one place, so I won't have a meltdown because I can't find something as I'm getting ready.

I watch comedy programs as I get ready, in order to calm my anxiety.

Get a hold of an old alarm clock, set it for an hour before class. Once you get up, relax, get showered 30 minutes before class and leave 20 minutes before.

I sometimes have this problem, and the only thing that helps is realising that I have to leave 20 minutes before or I am not going to arrive on time.

New Threads

Top Bottom